Windows 10 Windows 10 build 15042 ISO's made available by Microsoft

ragnarok1968

ISOs for Windows 10 build 15042 are now available (Via neowin.net)

Microsoft today released ISO images for Windows 10 for PCs build 15042. This will be the third time in a row that the company has offered Insider Preview builds in ISO form without first releasing the build to the Slow ring; the first was 15002 and the second was 15025.

In fact, the Slow ring hasn't seen any new build since 14986 was released in mid-December. This is due to various upgrade issues that Fast ring Insiders have had, although they seem to be fixed, so we might finally see a new build in the ring soon.

Your choice in Windows versions for the ISO are as follows:

• Windows 10
  • Windows 10 Enterprise
  • Windows 10 Education
  • Windows 10 Home Single Language
  • Windows 10 Home China
The firm also released a new SDK Preview build of the same number earlier. There weren't any actual new features - as Microsoft announced that the Creators Update SDK is feature-complete - but there were some known issues and a couple changes.

One of the reasons for the release of ISOs without a Slow ring offering is because Microsoft wants Insiders to test out new features in the out-of-box experience. These include Cortana narration, new privacy controls, and more.

You can download the ISO images from Microsoft here.

*** My note: this is a FAST ring Build which might have a hang issue on boot. So, refer to THIS thread on how to prevent the hang issue.. ( it works!) you do steps 3-7 BEFORE you attempt to update your current build if windows 10 is currently installed.

Microsoft released 15046 rather quietly this week. one night, I installed 15042, had the hang issue reinstalled windows 10 from my OEM installation USB, did the registry tweak and installed the update which changed to 15046 the next day. Either the fix worked -or- 15046 addressed the issue of 15042.

I wouldn't think that hanging issue shouldn't be an issue if they fixed it before releasing the ISO's or a clean install should prevent the registry entries from getting in the way.

This would be a good way to see the new creators update features and raise your build number to the doorstep of the official Redstone 2 release in a month now.

A thought I have is, installing this build should be relatively safe. Being, so close to the official release, the kinks should be pretty much worked out by now and any updates to this build, if any, should be rather clean in that they should be issue free for the most part.

joining the inside program should be easy by simply creating an account HERE and you can join in the testing of rough builds. I suggest using a PC that isn't a production machine that you should be ok with reinstalling windows10 if things get borked. There are 3 rings;
1. Fast Ring- rough issue laden builds, not to be used for production machines
2. Slow ring- more refined builds, still be cautious os using on production machines
3. Preview Release - builds ready for public release and safe for production machines

insider_program.png

Screenshot of the Windows insider Program window in the Updates>Windows Insider program

Last edited:
Back