Windows 10 Windows 10 factory reset back to Windows 8

hobson

Hi, Everyone, a friend of mine has had trouble with his laptop recently, he had upgraded it from windows 8 to windows 10 a long time ago and says it has been buggy and running slow ever since, after much messing about I did a factory reset which has taken his system back to windows 8. I am just curious to know if I can still put windows 10 back on it for free. I did not do the original upgrade but he says he had numerous programs (including kaspersky antivirus) which just disappeared after the upgrade. I would like to do a fresh install of windows 10 but I am worried that if it does not work I will not be able to put windows 8 back on, and he will be left with no operating system. Any advice would be much appreciated thanks

Helps to know the make and model. A lot of manufacturers will have a system restore partition or come with discs such as HP. If you used these to do the restore then yes it would roll you back to whatever OS the computer came with since that is what the restore partition was created with. If the computer was upgraded to Windows 10 before the free upgrade deadline then the license is automatically valid for Windows 10. You can get the Windows 10 ISO and create a bootable media with the MCT Download Windows 10 download and install you shouldn't have any issues.

Ok thanks alot for the advice the laptop is a Toshiba satellite and it was upgraded through windows update (I think). So I should be able to upgrade again, I am going to create a system back up, so I can recover from usb drive if needs be. I think this is my safest bet, I will let you know how it goes in the near future and again thanks

Hi all, I did the upgrade and all went well, it took forever with the windows updates but thankfully all seems good. I would of liked to have done a full clean install and wipe the disk completely clean, but I was not sure if I ran into problems I would be able to revert back even though I had backed up the recovery drive to a usb stick. As it was not my laptop I did not want to leave the guy without an operating system, but now as I have spoke to him we have agreed we will try this if he runs into problems again. I am still not sure what the real issue was corrupted files or a dodgey hard drive, I ran a few diagnostic checks but stange as it may seem I could not get check disc to run at start up or Hirens boot disc to boot, yet memtest ran no problem, ity all just seemed to be a bit buggy. Anyway he has his laptop back with windows 10 on it, if he is happy then alls good if not I will delve deeper. thanks for the help

Back