Windows 10 Windows 10 WiFi connectivity issues

MrsTeePot

I have an Acer Aspire E 15 running Windows 10 Home version 1511, 64 bit, and (I think) since the latest update my WiFi drops out so often that it is nearly impossible to do anything on the internet.
As a side note, I am currently on a 3 month holiday and the WiFi router in in a locked apartment above me, therefore I can't try a wired connection and getting at the router to do anything is very difficult.

In no set order:
I have reset the router, though I doubted it was that anyway as I have other tech connected to it which is having no WiFi problems (phones, tablets, a Windows 7 laptop).
I have updated the WiFi drivers.
I have uninstalled & reinstalled my wireless card.
I have bought a WiFi dongle to use instead of my inbuilt wireless card.
I have flushed my DNS.
I have reset Windows 10.

I'm sure I've tried other things but it's been over a week now since I've been trying to fix it.

I am convinced that it is an OS issue but am at a loss as to how to fix it. Help please!

A few questions:

- is the signal strength is sufficient? That is the most important question.

- is it slow with the inbuilt wireless as well as the dongle (with the inbuilt wireless switched off)?

- the Wi-Fi access point may support the 2.4 and the 5 GHz band, the W7 laptop may be using the one, you may be using the other. Also the same network may be repeated on different repeaters, especially in a hotel or resort. So are you using the same 2.4 or 5 GHz band, on the same wireless access point or the same repeater? The answer is likely yes, but to be sure....

- have you looked in the task manager, your computer may be busy with other things?

- it may be helpful to see the result of "ipconfig /all" (Windows key and R, type cmd and in that window ipconfig /all) of both your pc and the W7 laptop. Look for differences in Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, DHCP server and DNS server (should all be the same) and the IPv4 Address (should be different, but only in that part of the address where the subnet mask shows zeros). If your TCPIP settings are set to automatic this will be the case

Hope we find something

Last edited:
A few questions:

- is the signal strength is sufficient? That is the most important question.

- is it slow with the inbuilt wireless as well as the dongle (with the inbuilt wireless switched off)?

- the Wi-Fi access point may support the 2.4 and the 5 GHz band, the W7 laptop may be using the one, you may be using the other. Also the same network may be repeated on different repeaters, especially in a hotel or resort. So are you using the same 2.4 or 5 GHz band, on the same wireless access point or the same repeater? The answer is likely yes, but to be sure....

- have you looked in the task manager, your computer may be busy with other things?

- it may be helpful to see the result of "ipconfig /all" (Windows key and R, type cmd and in that window ipconfig /all) of both your pc and the W7 laptop. Look for differences in Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, DHCP server and DNS server (should all be the same) and the IPv4 Address (should be different, but only in that part of the address where the subnet mask shows zeros). If your TCPIP settings are set to automatic this will be the case

Hope we find something

I know MrsTeapot we've done all those things, even reset winsock on the unlikely chance it was playing up. Phones, tablets and another laptop are working as expected, just this laptop has disconnection issues.

I did not know that.

Create a different user and try again, after that you know if it is in your profile or in Windows itself.
Next is reinstall W10?

A fresh install is a good idea, though being on holiday could be problematic. The new user is a fine idea.

I created a new user, but same issues.
However, the past day and a half the issues have been eased slightly. I can actually access websites and do the odd thing online now, however I still can't download many of the apps that were wiped when I reset Windows!

After posting that yesterday, this morning I have no connection on my laptop at all. It says it's connected sometimes but my browsers say I'm offline.
I did a network troubleshoot thing and it says my settings are correct but there is a DNS error?

DNS is the service which translates an internet address like 'www.google.uk' into the the number that is needed for the actual transport over internet. It is either your computer that is too slow or the settings in your computer which are wrong.

Above I ask whether you could print the result of ipconfig/all and compare it with the result of your W7 laptop and which parameters are involved. I know that every thing has been check but, to be dead sure, could you do again and show us the results.

If every thing is as it should be I am out of options - sorry.

I just thought of something that may be worthwhile checking.

When you have several Wi-Fi networks within reach, they may all have been set auto connectable.
Than your computer connects to one, shortly after that it may detect an other and stronger network, it disconnects the current network and switches over, with the result that you are losing your connections.

Make sure that, if you have more than one network within reach, only one of them is set auto connectable.

Another thing that you probably have checked is setting a different channel number in the Wi-Fi adapter settings.

Henk

Last edited:
This is real funny... The Router is "Locked" in the apartment upstairs...
So you are trying to leech bandwidth from someone else s Router...?
How did you reset the router if you do not have access to it...
Come on Mrs TeePot... do you really expect us to help you break into someone's router.:insanity:

No she's on holiday and has permission to use the wifi. So she's not breaking into anything.

Back