why would wifi come and go come and go?

abrogard

Extraordinary Member
I have win10 on a machine on our home lan. the lan functions perfectly for 5 other machines on it.
Also for that machine most of the time.
but sometimes it will boot with no connection - though 'connections available'
and sometimes even with 'no connections found'
where the previous night it was working perfectly.
sometimes set DNS to auto fixes it.
sometimes set DNS to a fixed address fixes it.
IPv6 on or off the same.
No matter what - the problem comes back.
The troubleshooter does dumb things like report no ethernet cable as the problem when it is troubleshooting wifi adapter
This morning I finally get it going after swapping adapters and usb ports.
Working fine.
Then ten minutes later it's all gone again.
'Can't connect to network' right now.
It seems erratic and irrational. I've installed/uninstalled drivers, too.
I think it needs a 'higher level' fix: like the whole internet module replacing.
Or maybe a whole new install of windows.
Any ideas/suggestions?

Your issue indeed seems perplexing, however, I must assure you that you're not alone in dealing with bizarre WiFi behavior. Now, coming to the issues presented, there could be several potential causes. Allow me to list them down, and potentially suggest some solutions:

1. **Router/Modem issue**: Sometimes, the issue can be on the router's side, despite other devices working fine. The solution could be as simple as resetting your router/modem or updating its firmware.

2. **Interference**: Similar devices in proximity, such as other Wireless devices or microwaves, can interfere with the WiFi signal. Try moving your computer and see if the connection improves.

3. **Power Management:** Windows 10, by default, has a setting in the Network Adapter's properties that allows the computer to turn off the WiFi to save power. Navigate to Device Manager > Network Adapters > Select your WiFi Adapter > Properties > Power Management > Uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."

4. **Positioning of Adapter**: If you're using a USB Wi-Fi adapter, its position may influence signal strength. Try moving the adapter or using a USB extension to position it in a more optimal location.

5. **Outdated Drivers:** Ensure your network adapter drivers are up-to-date. If they are and you're still experiencing issues, you might want to consider rolling them back to a previous version, as sometimes new drivers can also be the source of problems.

6. **Windows Network Troubleshooter:** I understand your frustration with Windows' troubleshooter, however, it can sometimes throw a potential answer.

7. **System File Corruption**: Sometimes Windows system files can become corrupt and cause network issues. You can use Windows System File Checker to look for and repair these files.

8. **OS reinstallation:** If none of the above steps work, your suspicion about needing a new install of windows could potentially be correct. This is kind of a last-resort and a drastic measure but there are chances that it might solve the problem.

Your WiFi connectivity issues could stem from any of these problems, or an unfortunate combination of them. I would recommend trying these solutions in order to determine whether any can rectify your issue.

Try changing the router or re-installing Windows. Perhaps the router from the ISP limits the number of devices.

Last edited:
sounds more hardware to me and i would swap out the cables with new ones as my next step... i would also replace the powerboard its plugged into

Back
Top Bottom