Windows 7 Can't connect to Wifi-Adapter recognizes signal, Networking can't connect

Sneakysmith

Alrighty well, after hunting for days for a solution to this and trying everything that my technologically inept brain can think of, I've decided to see if anyone can help me out with this.

A few days ago, sort of randomly, my PC, running w7 home premium, was unable to connect to the internet. At that point, my router itself was rather messed up as no other comp in the house could connect either. We called AT&T and they sorted out the router mess. After we got that all taken care of, I assumed my comp would be working again, however no-go. My wireless adapter (a Netgear WNA1100) could see the connection and, seemingly, connect, but my comp's networking would try and connect, before finally just getting limited access. The two other computers in the house (both Macs by the way), along with all of the various machines that use the wifi like xboxes and ipads and the like, can connect just fine, but my comp remains unresponsive. I checked for viruses and looked for all the issues that I could think of, untill I finally got so fed up that I just wiped the hd and reinstalled w7, thinking that a fresh slate would certainly fix the problem, but still it persists. Have also tried plugging into the router directly with no luck. Both the IPv4 and IPv6 are set to auto. Networking sees the 2wire and looks like it connects to it, but I continue to have no network access.

At this point I'm at a loss. I will past my ipconfig below, and pray that someone might have some idea as to what the issue is. My router is an AT&T 2wire Gateway.

Code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Marston>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Marston-PC
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR WNA1100 Wireless-N 150 USB Adapter
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 30-46-9A-35-C8-35
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::993f:478:9986:abd8%11(Preferred)
   Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.171.216(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 238044826
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-16-FF-E8-D5-30-46-9A-35-C8-35

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
                                       fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
                                       fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{24A8DDED-ECEB-4EFC-8983-40EB2536B0B1}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Thanks in advance for any ideas. Sorry if my lack of computing understanding made this harder to understand XD

IPv6 is not in general use yet and is known to cause some problems so you could uninstall it from your network adapter properties. The address 169.254.171.216 indicates that your pc has failed to get an IP address allocated by the router. Are other devices which are successfully connecting using automatic address allocation from the router? You could check the IP and DNS server address settings on one of those devices to identify what addresses are valid on your router and try setting one manually to check that out. Do get back to us if you need help trying out any of these points.

Back