Windows 10 Windows 7/10 Mouse and Keyboard Freezing on SSD

Strifez

So I just bought a Samsung 850 EVO 250gb SSD and wanted to install Windows 10 (64 bit) fresh on it. I downloaded the media creation tool for windows 10 and installed it onto a USB. Everything was fine and I installed windows 10 no problem onto my SSD but from the get go after installing Windows 10, I started to notice moments where my keyboard would freeze (can't type for a few seconds, and if I was typing, it would hold a key down). While this keyboard freeze would happen, my mouse cursor would also freeze in place and then teleport across the screen once the freeze stops.

I never once had this issue on Windows 7, so at first I thought it was something to do with Windows 10 but that was ruled out after I down graded back to Windows 7 by doing another fresh install. Each time I installed all of my drivers and there were no problems found in device manager troubleshooting. The keyboard is a Razer Blackwidow Chroma and the mouse is a Logitech G500. The weird thing is that the problem also happens with my cheap $20 Microsoft keyboard and mouse as well.

I have found two things that remove this lag:

1. Having no keyboard plugged in and just using a mouse, which further shows that the keyboard is freezing the mouse.

2. For some reason and I have no idea why, but being in a skype call with someone completely gets rid of the freezing on the keyboard and mouse.

So yeah here I am having installed Windows 10 again (I actually like it a lot more than 7) and still having the problem, I am pretty much all out of ideas and been trying to fix it myself searching online every day for 4 days now.

If anyone thinks they might know some ideas I could try out I would greatly appreciate it!

Hey, thanks for the reply,

System Specs:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz

Ram: 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665 MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. H81M-HD3

Graphics: Intel HD graphics 4600 (Gigabyte)

GPU: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 (EVGA)

Storage: 250 GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD & 1TB Western Digital WDC

The problem would happen right off the bat before installing any drivers, but yes after installing windows each time I first downloaded the GeForce Experience and installed the latest graphics drivers, then installed my motherboard drivers from the Gigabyte website and in device manager it says all my drivers are upto date and no problems are found troubleshooting.

So, after reading your thread again, one could say your issue's didn't appear until you installed the SSD. It's the only thing that's changed and it might be worth swapping it out for your old drive and see if the issue still continues. Why an SSD would cause these types of issues is unclear but as it's the only thing thats changed it has to be under suspicion?

I've seen this when using the marvel controllers on a mobo and not the amd/intel ones. Have also seen it when a drive isn't using AHCI, I'd be checking on those.

Thanks Rich my head is stuffed full of cold and I'm not at my best lol. Yesterday I was trying to remember what came after SATA but failed miserably.

Yes the only thing that changed was running windows on the SSD instead of my hard drive, so if I reinstall windows onto my hard drive and see if the problem exists on there, I can see if its the SSD.

I don't really understand what you are saying nmsuk btw, is there a way for me to check for those things you mention? Thanks!

AHCI is what your HDD controller should be running on for SSD's. You'll need to check in the bios. I'm afraid I'm absolutely stuffed up with a flu bug so forgot about mentioning it.

In some cases with freezes/delays as you are experiencing, the system may be involved doing something else. It might be video or network type actions or just your system updating itself somehow.

First, I would suggest disconnecting the WD HDD for testing.

Could you give us the make and model of the RAM?

Secondly, watch the network activity to see if anything is going on during the delays.

Any scans happening, such as an anti-virus or updating such as online storage backups?

Since the motherboard is UEFI capable, did you install in that configuration? If you aren't sure, attach a snipping tool picture of your Disk Management window.

Are you using a 4K monitor with it? Are you using some type of combined video using both the Nvidia and Intel video?

In some cases with freezes/delays as you are experiencing, the system may be involved doing something else. It might be video or network type actions or just your system updating itself somehow.

First, I would suggest disconnecting the WD HDD for testing.

Could you give us the make and model of the RAM?

Secondly, watch the network activity to see if anything is going on during the delays.

Any scans happening, such as an anti-virus or updating such as online storage backups?

Since the motherboard is UEFI capable, did you install in that configuration? If you aren't sure, attach a snipping tool picture of your Disk Management window.

Are you using a 4K monitor with it? Are you using some type of combined video using both the Nvidia and Intel video?

Hey, I am not sure what one of my ram sticks model is, but I bought a second 8gb g.skill stick that I put in myself.

The problem occurs even when i'm disconnected from the internet and I don't think any scans and such are running all the time.

Here is a picture of my disk management window: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

I am using a ASUS 1080p monitor and not sure on that combined video of both nvidia and intel.

We need to make sure the RAM is compatible. Using unmatched DIMMS may cause a problem.

The video is normally set up in the bios. If you are just using the Nvidia card it is probably OK.

If disconnecting the other hard drive doesn't help, all I could suggest is to watch your system to see if you notice anything. If you aren't online, it may not be something downloading, but something may be trying to download or call home.

If you get a chance, look at the Event Viewer to see if it is showing any recurring errors or warnings. They may help lead to the problem.

Well I don't think its the RAM because I had no problems for the past year using two different ram sticks, but maybe thats different when running windows on the SSD?

Ill keep an eye on my system to see if I can see anything strange happening when the lag occurs.

There also seems to be a lot of errors coming up on the Event viewer: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet though I have no idea what they mean.

Many of the Event View messages seem to be related to a Device Setup Manager. If you are not online, you my go online and stay for a while to see if the system can find a driver.

On one of the errors for Device Setup, you may find a GUID number you could copy and search the Registry for. If you find something, include in your next post and we can look.

Also, check the Device Manager and see if any devices show with a question mark or yellow triangle.

I have seen many messages on my system concerning meta data problems. It may turn out the messages are not involved. I will have to check my Windows 10 system. Maybe someone knows why Microsoft pulled the big update from the server.

Many of the Event View messages seem to be related to a Device Setup Manager. If you are not online, you my go online and stay for a while to see if the system can find a driver.

On one of the errors for Device Setup, you may find a GUID number you could copy and search the Registry for. If you find something, include in your next post and we can look.

Also, check the Device Manager and see if any devices show with a question mark or yellow triangle.

I have seen many messages on my system concerning meta data problems. It may turn out the messages are not involved. I will have to check my Windows 10 system. Maybe someone knows why Microsoft pulled the big update from the server.

Hey,

I could not find any of those GUID numbers within any of the errors for device setup, not sure exactly but yeah I checked my brothers PC and he also has lots of those errors like that too.

Also in the device manager none of my devices show the question marks / yellow triangles, it seems everything has the proper drivers installed.

Should I reinstall windows back onto my HDD and see if I get the problem on there? That way we could tell if it was something to do with the SSD or not.

Ok so I just did some more testing which I hadn't done until the first time I installed Windows 10 onto the SSD. I plugged the keyboard and mouse into the front ports of my PC and I haven't had the lag in about 10 minutes now (which pretty much means it won't happen). So this means that the problem is my USB ports at the back of the PC...any ideas on what I can do to make them work like the front ones? I have no idea what USB ports are what in the device manager haha.

EDIT: Now that I have my mouse / keyboard in the front ports with no lag, I must plug my headset into one of the back USB ports and I was surprised that my headset too has problems at the back. It freezes any videos I am watching (YouTube, TwitchTV etc) and sound cuts out for a good 10 seconds. So there is something definitely wrong with those USB ports at the back which I assume are all directly connected to the motherboard.

Last edited:
You appear to only have 2 USB 3.0 ports on the back under the Ethernet connector. I am looking at a revision 1.0 board so you may have a newer revision. All others appear to be 2.0/1.1 ports. You might double check the internal connections to the front ports to make sure they are correct. H81M-D3H

But to be clear, without the Headset being plugged into the front ports, the lag still happened on the back ports for the mouse and keyboard? Sound drivers can also be a problem for some systems as well as devices such as headsets.

Edit: The system also appears to have the charging port option. Is that turned on or have you installed any software for it?

Last edited:
Back