Windows 7 Windows 7 and standby

stillgrinning

I have just installed W 7 home premium, I have a small anoying problem with the Power settings.
I am using the ballanced setting, no screen saver, the monitor turns off after 15 minutes and the computer goes to sleep after 25.
With vista all I had to do to wake it up was move the mouse, with Windows 7 it turns the whole computer off.
You then have to re start with the on off switch, it then goes through the boot setup then tells me that windows is resuming.

Is there a way around the shutdown.

Chris (Stillgrinning)

I'm having the same problem. I can get it into S1 sleep but not S3 as it reboots. Try S1 and maybe we can figure something out to get S3 back.

What is ment by S1.
I have been playing, if you set up power saver in power settings, it dosn't hibernate, only sleeps.
We will see
Chris

S1 is one of sevral standby states windows uses. S1 and S3 are the most common selections available in BIOS. definitions below:

S0 Working: the normal working state of the computer, the operating system and applications are running. The CPU(s) execute instructions. Within this state, it is possible for CPU(s) and devices like hard drives, DVD drives, etc. to be repeatedly put into and come back from low-energy states. Laptops, for example, routinely power down all currently unused devices when running on battery; some desktops also do this to reduce noise.

S1 (POS) Standby: All processor caches are flushed, and the CPU(s) stop executing instructions. Power to the CPU(s) and RAM is maintained; RAM is refreshed; devices that do not indicate they must remain on may be powered down. Some newer machines do not support S1; older machines are more likely to support S1 than S3. This state can operate when a card or peripheral does not recognize S3. The most power-hungry of sleep-modes. POS means Power On Standby.

S3 (STR) Standby: In this state, the CPU has no power, the power supply is in a reduced power mode, main memory (RAM) is still powered, although it is almost the only component that is. Since the state of the operating system and all applications, open documents, etc. lies all in main memory, the user can resume work exactly where they left off the main memory content when the computer comes back from S3 is the same as when it was put into S3. S3 has two advantages over S4; the computer is faster to resume than to reboot, secondly if any running applications (opened documents, etc) have private information in them, this will not be written to the disk. However, disk caches may be flushed to prevent data corruption in case the system doesn't wake up e.g. due to power failure. STR means Save To RAM. In modern operating systems it's called as: Standby in versions of Windows through Windows XP and in some varieties of Linux, Sleep in Windows Vista and Mac OS X.

Hi Merc, will have a root around the bios over the weekend, thanks for the tips. As I said by changing to Power saver that seems to sort the problem but will check out the bios as the settings should work on all the different power settings.
Cheers

standby/sleep

everything seem fine with mine at the moment,when i put it to sleep,it resumes within seconds,do u delete hibernate when u do a dick cleanup?

everything seem fine with mine at the moment,when i put it to sleep,it resumes within seconds,do u delete hibernate when u do a dick cleanup?
Yes, hibernate is disabled as is hybrid sleep. I installed on my Win7 on my big watercooled overclcoked rig with RAID 0 an dit went flawlessly and sleeps like a baby. I am beginning to think it is a BIOS problem with that particular machine.

Last edited:
Back