Windows 7 Windows 7 Backup

terraterm

Hi

running windows 7 backup, and constantly failing, because it's trying to create an image of the Recovery drive, I don't need the recovery drive backed up, and windows backup does not give me an option to deselect.

anyway to do this thru the registry?

if their is no way to deselect the Recovery drive, then windows 7 backup is going to be dumped, still a very disappointing backup system :frown::mad:.

You would think, that the backup system, should be rock solid, but no, still can't get it right.

I have 2 other backup redundancies.

Thx

Are you just making an image, or the complete image and file backup?

Windows includes by default any partitions necessary to re-image your system back to working order. IF the Recovery partition to which you refer is an active partition with the boot files, it will be included.

But using a "Recovery" reference has lost its meaning with so may different ways the word is being used. Are you referring to a small partition at the front of your drive, or a larger partition near the end?

The Dell recovery partition contains the bootmgr. That's why Windows imaging wants to include it. Look into Disk Management and you will see that the recovery partition is the 'active' partition (meaning it contains the bootmgr).

If you want to image only C, I recommend free Macrium. But make sure you image the recovery partition at least once - in case your disk ever breaks you will need it.

The other option is to copy the bootmgr to C - that's what I always do. Two of my 6 PCs are Dells. See second link.

Imaging with free Macrium - Windows 7 Help Forums

Bootmgr - Move to C:\ with EasyBCD - Windows 7 Help Forums

I'm using Easeaus free backup, and I'm happy with that software as it allows me to do what i need.

Thanks all!!! for your help & suggestions!

Back