Windows 7 Windows 7 boots to the screen of "Windows Boot Manager" in black and white. BCDEDIT.EXE anyone?

cubic514

I have Windows 7 Pro installed on a brand new 1 TB HDD, itself in a new system which contains old HDDs.

My homemade Tyan Tiger server/ workstation works it seems but for one important detail: it boots to the black and white screen of the "Windows boot manager". Only when I pick Windows 7 from the two choices available and press Enter do I
finally get to go to Windows Heaven.

The system itself contains another HDD which previously had Windows XP Pro on it before I wiped it out,leaving only the \boot directory invisible to XP Windows Explorer. This invisible \boot directory cannot be erased or deleted. Maybe is it this
unknown directory left after I erased everything else that causes the problem, because Windows 7 may have "seen" it during installation.

What follows is the skimmed result of BCDEDIT.EXE without the mishmash of Globally Unique Identifiers (GUI) and their "hexadecimal mysteries". At first after installing Windows 7, BCDEDIT.EXE would yield "Boot Configuration Data" of the kind:

============================================================

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier: {bootmgr}
device: partition=X:

Windows Legacy OS Loader
------------------------
identifier: {ntldr}

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier: {current}
device: partition=C:

Then I used "Windows Recovery Environment" booting from the DVD of Windows 7 and BCDEDIT.EXE gives this:

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier: {bootmgr}

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier: {current}
device: partition=C:

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier: {long series of alphanumeric}
device: ramdisk=[C:]\Recovery\ same long series of alphanumeric \Winre.wim

In the Boot Configuration Data, rather noticeable is the fact that the "Windows Legacy OS Loader" is gone after using "Windows Recovery Environment" and that "Windows Boot Loader" has now two entries instead of a single one. But I am still booting to the same black and white screen of the "Windows boot manager", where the choice of the Legacy OS has been replaced by "Windows Recovery", itself to be replaced by "Ramdisk Options", about which I have next to no idea what to do with!

The problem remains, it's just not booting directly to Windows 7, but to the black and white screen first, where a choice of OS must be made manually in Windows Boot Manager. They go as follows:

Windows 7
Ramdisk Options

Is this a case where BOOTSECT.EXE should be used or has been used already by Windows Recovery without me knowing? I searched my HDD and couldn't find BOOTSECT.EXE anywhere, and yet it is there in the \boot directory of the Windows 7 DVD.

So, should I use BOOTSECT.EXE or BCDEDIT.EXE, and in what way?

DISKMNGT.JPG

Above is a view of my Disk Management window. Any help is great help.

Hello, welcome.

Type msconfig in the start menu then press enter. Go to boot tab. Delete all entries that are not Windows 7 (current.) Hit ok to save.

EasyBCD 2.0 is another useful, easy-to-use tool you can use instead.

Wow! I can't believe it! It just works! The solution was right there without me even knowing. Ouch!

Really, thanks a lot TorrentG.

Back