Windows 7 Windows 7 Defrag

w7fcrk

I tried to use Windows 7 defragmenter but found that it was extremely slow. I just downloaded Diskeeper 2009 Home trial version for Vista and installed it on my hard drive with Windows 7 Beta. It installed with no problem and I am defragging Windows 7 partition now.

Does anyone know how many passes the Windows 7 defragment program makes during a routine scan? Before I stopped the dragmentation process, I was on the second pass and nothing seemed to be happening (pass 2, 0% complete). After sometime I cancelled the Windows 7 defragmentation process and went to the Diskeeper site to download Diskeeper 2009 Home trial version.

I use Diskeeper 2007 with Vista and it works very well.

well, since vista and windows 7 both defrag your harddrive in the background when your pc is idle there is no real need to manually defrag your HD.

For me the xp defragmenter gave you more info as to if you need to defrag and what was going on with it. 9 passes that I saw and took quite a while. Lots of new installed programs though. Didn't know if I needed to defrag and not sure if I'll know the next time I check.

Probably is nice though everything else in windows 7 looks great.

Apparently, the Vista > W7 defragger is still not working.
I had to use another Defrag routine to be able to "Shrink" the partition down to something more reasonable

My defragger works perfectly in windows 7 32 bit.. However, if I had to choose a defrag program if would be PerfectDisk10. Love this program and if you can deal with the 15 seconds ( optional ) you can choose to have the drive defragged each time you reboot automatically. Obviously after the first run each time it reboots it takes only seconds to run. EXCELLENT product and optimized for windows 7 now.

PerfectDisk 10 Home Edition | Disk Defrag | PerfectDisk.com

I fooled with W7 defragg a little .. At least now you can see it's doing "something ?"
Then I played with W7 Partition Shrink .. It would not let me shrink my C partition to less than ~~ 140GB.
But I wanted 60GB ... For my OS only .. I put my data elsewhere so I don't have to defrag .. etc .. as often.

I booted to XP (in another drive) .. And told it to defrag my W7 C Partition.
Then, In W7, I could shrink the W7 C partition to 60GB.
This tells me that like Vista ... W7 defrag is still not working as one would expect.

Last edited:
I use the Windows 7 defrager in both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions.. I don't know why it's slow for you guys.. i find it very fast.. I defraged my main hdd which is a 500GB seagate sata2 drive and it only took 8-10 minutes to completely defrag.. ;) I like the defrager in Win 7 a hell of a lot better than the one in Vista.. but I do have to agree that XP's still gave ya a bit more info.. I don't think it really worked better as I don't think it actually did as much as it would let on.. ;) But all in all I like the Windows 7 Defragmenter and I think it works very well... It took 7 passes on my 500GB drive before it was done, but like I said, it only took 8-10 minutes... I think the number of passes it takes are always different though and are based on how fragmented the drive is..

I tried the defrag using Windows 7 , 7100 build right now, I still have the trial version. I noticed it hags for a long time on 40 or 70%, then it returns to a normal mode or something, as if it restarted. I have the 64bit , which I should have used the 32bit because I only have 2 GB of RAM

A question, how wise is it to interrupt a defrag by stopping it before it is done?
I use the built in defragger in Win 7 HP 32 bit and it takes about 7 passes and about 10 minutes to complete.
I don't allow any scheduled tasks including defrag, preferring to manually perform maintenance.

I'm assuming that is what Blackwolf is referring to when he says Win 7 defrags during idle times.
At least I would hope that MS didn't force yet another process on us that is beyond our control.

BTW, not having a way to just simply shut off scheduled tasks from a gui control panel sucks. Thanks M$.
I had to resort to a hack that has me renaming the .exe that causes the task scheduler to run thus effectively turning off task scheduler.
Not an ideal situation to be sure.

I'm currently defraging a 2gb usb that wants me to format it, attempting to get around this. The usb was 3% fragmented.

Running windows 7 RC on a HP dv6113tx laptop.

At present the defrag is upto pass 9 and at first I didn't think the defrag was actually working, it took a little while to kick in (10 seconds or so) and hopefully it defrags properly!

Fastest defragger out there hands down is Auslogic - it even defrags the hdds concurrently. My two 500GB sata2 are done within 2 minutes.

I'm currently defraging a 2gb usb that wants me to format it, attempting to get around this. The usb was 3% fragmented.

Running windows 7 RC on a HP dv6113tx laptop.

At present the defrag is upto pass 9 and at first I didn't think the defrag was actually working, it took a little while to kick in (10 seconds or so) and hopefully it defrags properly!

Why not export the internal data to your desktop, format the drive and then return the said data?

You can pause and then cancel it, no files thereafter will be defragged. There is no consequence other than that defragmentation is not fully complete, but what has been defragged will remain. However, avoid sudden power loss during defragmenting, as it may cause bad consequences.

I personally never interrupt defragmenting and have been lucky so far. Some very good guidelines:

How to Defrag Your Computer | eHow.com

I've noticed an interesting side effect of defragging in Win 7.
After defrag, and for several computer restarts boot time is adversely affected.

By this I mean as much a 20 seconds are added to my low boot times.

My guess is that prefetch or superfetch is messed up by the defrag process and these folders need to be rebuilt.

I've noticed an interesting side effect of defragging in Win 7.
After defrag, and for several computer restarts boot time is adversely affected.

By this I mean as much a 20 seconds are added to my low boot times.

My guess is that prefetch or superfetch is messed up by the defrag process and these folders need to be rebuilt.

Hmm... I've not noticed myself. Is that using the default app?

Yeah Kemical, That's with the builtin defrag tool.
I have an older version of Diskeeper but it won't install in Win 7 so I can't compare.
I might consider purchasing an update if Diskeeper will give me a discount but until then I'll continue to use the buitin
defrag tool even with the bug/feature.
I would expect a defrag tool would leave prefetch alone.

I don't use the default app. I tend to use the Auslogics one as it's like a cheap version of Diskeeper. I'll have to test for the lag though and see if I can reproduce your findings.
Unfortunately I'm up early in the morning so it'll have to wait until tomorrow. :)

Back
Top Bottom