Windows 7 Windows 7 Defrag

Auslogic is free and the fastest - give it a try before wasting money!

I also use Auslogics Disk Defrag and have been doing so for some time. I caught onto this from a video where I saw Samsung testing like 30 SSD's in a RAID. It was a commercial of course, but I slowed it down and saw they were defragging with Auslogics Disk Defrag.. lol. Turns out its the best one out there.. remarkably faster than Microsoft's disk defrag and you get to see whats going on again as opposed to waiting around.

Never had any file system problems after using the program either.

Thanks for the heads up about Auslogics Defrag tool guys.
Just D/L and installed on my system and ran it for the first time, fast indeed.
It took just a few minutes to defrag my C:\ partition and my U:\ partition (where I have installed many programs and have my user folders).
Happy to report that the boot slowdown I reported earlier from using the built-in defragger doesn't apply with Auslogics tool.

After defrag I used the built-in tool to analyze the results and Win 7's defrag reported 0% fragmented.

This is different from my experiences in the past where a 3rd party defrag tool showed the drive completely defragged while the built-in one showed
several percent still fraggmented.

Now I give you another tip - See the Settings/Algo tab:
check option - "move system files to front" and "defrag hdds concurrently"

my two 500GB hdds are done within two minutes ;)

Thanks for the heads up about Auslogics Defrag tool guys.
Just D/L and installed on my system and ran it for the first time, fast indeed.
It took just a few minutes to defrag my C:\ partition and my U:\ partition (where I have installed many programs and have my user folders).
Happy to report that the boot slowdown I reported earlier from using the built-in defragger doesn't apply with Auslogics tool.

After defrag I used the built-in tool to analyze the results and Win 7's defrag reported 0% fragmented.

This is different from my experiences in the past where a 3rd party defrag tool showed the drive completely defragged while the built-in one showed
several percent still fraggmented.
It is a good app... Especially with it being free.

Defragmentation in Windows 7 is more comprehensive

i use defraggler once in a month.

but you have to know that:

Defragmentation in Windows 7 is more comprehensive – many files that could not be re-located in Windows Vista or earlier versions can now be optimally re-placed. In particular, a lot of work was done to make various NTFS metadata files movable. This ability to relocate NTFS metadata files also benefits volume shrink, since it enables the system to pack all files and file system metadata more closely and free up space 'at the end,' which can be reclaimed if required.

I have the same experience as Radenight :: " use the Windows 7 defrager in both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions.. I don't know why it's slow for you guys"

"By this I mean as much a 20 seconds are added to my low boot times." I have not experienced that.

"At least I would hope that MS didn't force yet another process on us that is beyond our control.
BTW, not having a way to just simply shut off scheduled tasks from a gui control panel sucks. Thanks M$." ::

Are you referring to the Defragmenting program? You can turn it off or reschedule it.
"I had to resort to a hack that has me renaming the .exe that causes the task scheduler to run thus effectively turning off task scheduler." Totally lost on that one!

"This is different from my experiences in the past where a 3rd party defrag tool showed the drive completely defragged while the built-in one showed several percent still fraggmented. "
This is default behaviour. The new Windows defragger does not consider certain items in its defragging process, as it does not regard them as affecting performance.
Its all here:
Engineering Windows 7 : Disk Defragmentation ? Background and Engineering the Windows 7 Improvements

imo. Defragmentation, on a time scale, is optimal. If some third party programs are capable of performing faster, then there have to be shortcuts. After Windows 7 fiishes its initial defragmentating, its speed improves dramatically on subsequent operations. One of its biggest features, not emphasised in this thread, is its ability to run on a low priority. It will even temporarily pause if it sense activity above normal.

As reghakr wisely observed in an identical thread "How do you actually assess the finished performance of one defragmenting program, against another" The available space, should there be a graphical option,does not convey the resulting performance figures.

fyi im running Windows 7 64bit.
never defraged it. ive tried analyzing it before and it always took too long.
i started defraging it maybe 5 1/2 hours ago. and it just finished after 9 passes.

RE

Defragmenting your hard disk drive is one of the best thing to increase speed of your Windows computer. There are three stages on defragmeter on windows 7. Analyze disk, deframent disk and consolidate disk which comes after you have defragment the drive. Fewer defrag passes are actually needed.

I'm no expert but I read a lot of forums. From what I understand, disc fragmentation isn't quite the issue as it used to be. Modern drives are much better engineered. Also, supposedly Windows 7 defrags discs automatically. I have numerous different drives/partitions other than my main system disc. I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. When I run the Windows defrag and analyze my drives all but the main system disc show 0% fragmentation. The system disc usually shows about 2% all the time, which would make sense. I've had this setup for months now and have never ran a manual defrag, and my PC is always shut off when the scheduled defrag is supposed to run. I use this PC for work, so I'm on it 8 hours per day. I render video, remaster audio and create graphic art. Plus I have thousands of email message, documents, pictures, etc. I'm also trying out new software all the time, so there's a lot of installing and uninstalling going on. Still virtually little defragmentation showing up, and my external drives have all mysteriously become defragmented. The background defragmentation process must be working...

[EDIT] To back up my comment about "modern drives" I found the following at Wikipedia. There are other sources out there of course.

"...file systems such as NTFS (and most Unix/Linux filesystems) are designed to decrease the likelihood of fragmentation.[4][5] Improvements in modern hard drives such as RAM cache, faster platter rotation speed, command queuing (SCSI TCQ/SATA NCQ), and greater data density reduce the negative impact of fragmentation on system performance to some degree, though increases in commonly used data quantities offset those benefits. However, modern systems profit enormously from the huge disk capacities currently available, since partially filled disks fragment much less than full disks.[6]"

Last edited:
I'm no expert but I read a lot of forums. From what I understand, disc fragmentation isn't quite the issue as it used to be. Modern drives are much better engineered. Also, supposedly Windows 7 defrags discs automatically. I have numerous different drives/partitions other than my main system disc. I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. When I run the Windows defrag and analyze my drives all but the main system disc show 0% fragmentation. The system disc usually shows about 2% all the time, which would make sense. I've had this setup for months now and have never ran a manual defrag, and my PC is always shut off when the scheduled defrag is supposed to run. I use this PC for work, so I'm on it 8 hours per day. I render video, remaster audio and create graphic art. Plus I have thousands of email message, documents, pictures, etc. I'm also trying out new software all the time, so there's a lot of installing and uninstalling going on. Still virtually little defragmentation showing up, and my external drives have all mysteriously become defragmented. The background defragmentation process must be working...

[EDIT] To back up my comment about "modern drives" I found the following at Wikipedia. There are other sources out there of course.

"...file systems such as NTFS (and most Unix/Linux filesystems) are designed to decrease the likelihood of fragmentation.[4][5] Improvements in modern hard drives such as RAM cache, faster platter rotation speed, command queuing (SCSI TCQ/SATA NCQ), and greater data density reduce the negative impact of fragmentation on system performance to some degree, though increases in commonly used data quantities offset those benefits. However, modern systems profit enormously from the huge disk capacities currently available, since partially filled disks fragment much less than full disks.[6]"

Hmm.... I agree for the most part although windows default defragger has historically never been much good which is why I always turn it off and use a third party app. As mentioned above, Auslogics Defragger has got to be one of the better ones out especially as it's free....

Hmm.... I agree for the most part although windows default defragger has historically never been much good which is why I always turn it off and use a third party app. As mentioned above, Auslogics Defragger has got to be one of the better ones out especially as it's free....

Ah, but "Windows 7" is new. Have you experience with Microsoft's latest OS?

Ah, but "Windows 7" is new. Have you experience with Microsoft's latest OS?

Sure :) I've been running 7 since the early betas and still think the default defragger is, true to form, awful. Admitted it's a lot better than previous incarnations but it doesn't really tell you a great deal unlike the app I suggested.
I guess if it's used on a regular basis then of course it's better than if nothing was done at all but still.... I just prefer my third party apps. :)

I have used O&O Defrag for one or two years and feel it is a good alternative of Diskeeper.
The version 10 and 12 are both compatible with Win7, but I feel version 12 is not as good as version 10.

Did not get a chance to finish what i was typing, screen jumped and lost me.. anyways.
at pass 11 and ----Finally, now says finished with 0% fragmented.. took over an hour on a 2TB HDD.

Back
Top Bottom