Windows 7 Windows 7 moving slow and occationally not Responding...

Asha

I have an Hp Touchsmart 520, which is 3 years old. For the past 4 months, several times while using the internet (Firefox), the browser says Not Responding. During this time, the computer is in a froze state for about 1-10 minutes (it varies). I also notice that other programs that i may have open also says Not Responding. Occasionally, i'll also see a pop up that says that the Shockwave Flash Player in non responsive, I usually choose the option that says Continue Plugin. However, no matter what i do, the issue persists. Im not a computer whiz, but i am on the techy side, but all to no avail. Im weary to the point that i want to factory reset my computer, and risk losing everything, because i dont have an external hard drive for backup :( Im not sure if the issue is Fire Fox or if there's some sort of issue with the computer.
There are three things that i suspect could be the issue and thats, Firefox, Finding Discount, and something in the task manager called csrss.exe (which wont show a file location)

Here are some things i've tried...
*Downloading Malwarebytes, Norton Anti Virus, Avg (i currently have Avg)...all computer scans didnt find the issue
*Uninstalled Firefox (but not all of the components), and then reinstalled Firefox
*Deactivated the Shockwave Flash Plugin
*Unchecked the 'Enable Adobe Flash Protected Mode'
*Updated Firefox
*opened Firefox 'Open Menu', and went to the 'question mark' symbol at the bottom of the menu, and followed whatever instructions that i read to do.... but to no avail
*Pulled up the Msconfig page, and uncheck a lot of programs that could have been sucking up the memory
*Cleared Unused RAM
*Uninstalled any programs that i wasnt using
*Searched through the task manager 'Processes' and removed all that looked unfamiliar (i ultimately had to reboot the computer)
*Removed any downloaded moves and any other big files
*Obviously Rebooted the computer several times
*Tried System Restore several times
*I've opted to use Explorer Browser but the same thing happens
*Downloaded the 'Microsoft FixIt Windows update'
*My Windows and Microsoft Updates are up to date

**(also my Windows Media player isnt working either. Most of my music wont play. Im not sure if this is part of the problem. If its not apart of the problem, i can deal with it later... Its not that important because all of it is about to go back to factory reset if i cant fix the bigger issue)

My Current Computer Information:

Physical Memory

Hardware Reserves- 96MB
In Use-3742MB
Modified-9MB
Standyby-237
Free-17MB

Available: 255MB
Cached: 245MB
Total: 4000MB
Installed: 4096MB

System Information report written at: 12/21/15 04:50:03
System Name: ANGELICBEAUTY
[System Summary]

Item Value
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name ANGELICBEAUTY
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model 520-1020
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G620 @ 2.60GHz, 2600 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date AMI 7.08, 11/30/2011
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name ANGELICBEAUTY\AngelicBeauty
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.91 GB
Available Physical Memory 83.0 MB
Total Virtual Memory 7.81 GB
Available Virtual Memory 2.67 GB
Page File Space 3.91 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Thank you for you're help! :wave:

Last edited:
Hi,
one cause of lock ups can be heat. Make sure that your vents are free from dust by using a small paintbrush to clear away any build up.
When you removed Norton did you use the proper tool for the job? If not then try running it:
Uninstall your Norton product using Norton Removal Tool

Have you checked your system support page for driver updates especially network/LAN drivers?

Run a cleaner like Ccleaner (do not use the registry cleaner tho' as these cause more problems than fix)
CCleaner - Free Download - Piriform

Look in the start menu for command prompt, right click on it and run as admin. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results. This will hopefully repair any corruption.

Make sure your not using anything like toolbars or search bars in the browser as these can cause malware and slowdowns. Also having too many anti- virus apps can slow the system so do make sure you only have AVG and Malwarebytes running.

Thank you for your response. I dont have any traces of Norton. I uninstalled it, and all of it components. You also referred me to Ccleaner. Is it a general software that i need to download, or was it a addendum to remove Norton in case i hadnt?
No i have not checked my system's support page, so i'll be doing that. I also havent tried the command prompt instruction, so i'll be trying that as well. I'll post my results in a bit.

csrss.exe is an important part of Windows and it should be in C:\Windows\System32. If it is running from a different location than it may be a virus. You can verify many executables with procexp under Options > Verify Image Signatures Process Explorer

csrss.exe is an important part of Windows and it should be in C:\Windows\System32. If it is running from a different location than it may be a virus. You can verify many executables with procexp under Options > Verify Image Signatures Process Explorer

Thanks i'll try that as well

Look in the start menu for command prompt, right click on it and run as admin. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results. This will hopefully repair any corruption.

I ran the system command prompt, and followed the instructions. It says that 'no repair operation is performed'.. however windows is still running the same. Im currently updating all of the drivers. So far with a few updated, the system is still running the same. After the udating, i'll download ccleaner... afterwards i'll get back with you

That "Finding Discount" worries me. It may well be malware causing this.
It is in the list of installed programs? Can you uninstall it or will Malwarebytes remove it?
( b.t.w. csrss.exe is a system process and should not be touched!)

Henk

Last edited:
That "Finding Discount" worries me. It may well be malware causing this.
It is in the list of installed programs? Can you uninstall it or will Malwarebiytes remove it?

I am also concerned about the Finding Discount. I noticed that the issues started back in the earlier part of the year when i noticed it in the control panel's Add/Remove Programs. I couldnt uninstall it, so about two months ago, i installed Malwarebytes but to no avail. Malwarebytes removed other things but not Finding Discount. Its still there. It was downloaded on 2/15/2015. My trial ran out on Malwarebytes so i uninstalled Malwarebytes. I had no interest in purchasing because it didnt do the job. I tryied to manually remove Finding Discount, but im not sure what happened with that procedure.Ultimately it didnt work :furious::waah:

Update: Also when im shutting down the computer i see 94F11419-869E-47aa-9563-F48591285CAD
It looks to be a gold webcam icon. I dont know what it is, but i only see it briefly when shutting down...

nasty.JPG

I know you've tried Malwarebytes. If it still remains try the other anti malware mentioned in this link:
Finding Discount

You may also
- Check with CCleaner what gets started.
- Check the properties of the icons of IE, Chrome or what you use, they may have added there webpage
- Check if there are unwanted plug-ins getting started in those internet explorers

Okay. I ended up downloading Spyhunter4. It found 583 Threats on my computer (including Finding Discount). When I hit the Fix Threats button, it said that I had to pay $39.99 for the change to take place. Unfortunately I don't have the money at the moment so out of frustration, I uninstalled the software. (when I get the money I will reinstall).

But heres another problem...
After I uninstalled the software, I had to reboot my computer. When it booted back up, I tried to access the internet, but Local Area Connection is saying that there is a cable unplugged. The thing is, is that I don't use a Ethernet or any other wires...I only use wifi to connect to the Xfinity signal in my neighborhood (I pay 54.00 for 30 days, and I cant access it now :()...
Im just wondering if you fellas know what I can do to fix this?

A certain solution is a re-install of W7.
It may even be a quicker way out considering the problems you have to solve now......

Most computers have an option to going back to factory state. Look in the manual.

Back
Top Bottom