Windows 7 Windows 7 multitasking super slow...64 bit

I always thought your computer slowed down when copying between partitions because you are both reading and writing on the same drive while running the OS. Although with 7 so far I have never experienced slowing when multitasking. It's actually pretty awesome.

You're right - in theory.
I've tried both. Copy from partitions of the same drive as well as form external hdd. Of course with two different drives it's better, but in both cases even Vista was faster than Win7. But that is not the real problem. I could live with a sluggish copy process. But I can NOT live with a nearly freezing system as soon as i start any copying. Something is very wrong here - despite the fresh Win7 installation.

Can you run some performance monitoring on the disk while doing a copy? I normally use %disk time to see what percent my disk is reading or writing. If it is much above 50% all the time, then at least you have some evidence that your disk is way too busy.

If you are dual booting, is it on one drive, with Vista as your first partition, and Win7 as a second partition? What I am getting at is would it be possible to plop a new hard drive in, do the install of Windows 7 again and just use the whole disk? This would be a lot of work, and just a test so don't use the serial number or activate, but you would then be able to determine if it is "Windows 7 and your system", or just that one install.

Grasping at straws here... but when you cannot determine the problem.. keep them busy with ruling out issues....

I am facing the same problem here also. With windows Vista i never had any issues like this. I have to check the "Disk Cache options as someone here said when i go to home".

If more than one winrar or file joiners Used ,Operations go very slow ,they slow down drastically where as in Vista even more 4 winrars or filejoiners never got slowed down. I use Windows 7 64bit ,even Vista too... First i thought maybe it's with my HardDisks problem. But even with Brand new ones too same issue.

With Copying and Moving , I never had any problems like mentioned here in previous pages. Even with Multiple copy/move at the sametime ,NO pRobs at all. only with winrar/File joiners

Using winrar 64bit 3.90 /Fastest File joiner and splitter 3.3

My config,
Intel Quad 9550
Asus Rampage Formula,
4GB 1066MHZ Corsair Dominators,
2XWD 1TB's, 1xTB hitachi,. 2WD in Raid 0 mode.
GTX 275 EVGA,.
Creative X-FI ,with GIGA S750 7.1
Corsair 620 Watts.

Last edited:
slow file copy

Just wondering if any solution was found for this problem. I have the same issues here.
Win7 64bit
12GIGS Corsair DDRIII
Asus P6T
Tons of copying problems.

[langtitle=it]Re: Having the same issues as above[/langtitle]

[lang=it]Ciao a tutti, credo di avere capito che la causa di tutto è la risoluzione grafica.
Io ho Windows 7 Ultimate 64BIT, MOBO ASUS P5K Premium WiFi, Core 2 DUO 6750, 4HD Samsung da 1 TERA, 2 in MIRROR (raid1) e 2 no.
Scheda grafica NVidia GT8500.
Alla risoluzione di 1280x1024 tutto si pianta.
L'accesso al disco è lentissimo, visual studio 2010 non risponde più, il collegamento ADSL rallenta
appena apro 3 applicazioni la velocita' si riduce drasticamente.
L'unica cosa che funziona bene senza rallentamenti è l'audio.

Appena uso la risoluzione 1024x768 TUTTO DIVENTA VELOCISSIMO
ho aperto 5 Esplora Risorse, 2 sezioni di visual stusio, 3 finestre di mozilla, emule, e winrar
VELOCISSIMOOOOOOO
E' un problema di risoluzione.[/lang]

Hello, excuse me for my english
I think the problem is the graphic resolution !!!
My System : Windows 7 64bit Ultimate, MOBO ASUS P5K Premium WiFi, Core 2 Duo 6.750, 4HD Samsung 1TB (2 Raid1).

---> Scheda grafica Nvidia GT8500 <---

At resolution 1280x1024 IT'S VERY SLOW
Not plus of 2 Application at time
WinRar is VERY SLOW
Visual Studio is VERY VERY VERY SLOW
ADSL is very slow
ACCESS DISK is VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY SLOW

At resolution 1024x768 IT'S ALL OK ALL VERY VERY VERY VERY FAAAAASTTTT

I THINK THAT THE RESOLUTION GRAPHIC IS THE PROBLEM !!!!!

Excuse Me for my english :)

Bye !

Back