Windows 7 Windows 7 Release Date.

UK version released early, underwhelming.

On 19 October my Windows 7 Home Premium arrived in the post from PC World. Now installed on my laptop as an upgrade from vista, I am underwhelmed. It has lots of pretty sounds and pictures but it looks mostly the same and does not work as well.

The automatic setting up of the homegroup is a case in point. It will not print the password, giving ewrror code 2147500037, an error code that has been there in this situation since RC1, and with no solution posted that I have been able to find. My printer is installed as the defualt, and I can print from word and other applications.

Oh, and IE8 will not open. Firefox does, so as I usually use that, I am happy enough. But really, their own software failing.

I've lost my fingerprint sign on, as it was incompatible. And I have had to change my antivirus software as Kaspersky has not yet released a W7 update.

The taskbar is now awful. Even once I realised I had to change the icons to small, they are not small, they are medium and just take up so much space. They are also in boxes of space, so they take up loads of room.
I have effectively lost my quick launch toolbar, where I could one click opening for half a dozen regularly used programs. Now its click on start button, wait for the menu to slide up, wait as the program decides if it has a jump bar. Please can I buy a new copy of XP?

Yeah im going to be gone all weekend so i wanna use it for a day :) plus ive been backuping all my data for days now! and lol you said wee bit

On 19 October my Windows 7 Home Premium arrived in the post from PC World. Now installed on my laptop as an upgrade from vista, I am underwhelmed. It has lots of pretty sounds and pictures but it looks mostly the same and does not work as well.

The automatic setting up of the homegroup is a case in point. It will not print the password, giving ewrror code 2147500037, an error code that has been there in this situation since RC1, and with no solution posted that I have been able to find. My printer is installed as the defualt, and I can print from word and other applications.

Oh, and IE8 will not open. Firefox does, so as I usually use that, I am happy enough. But really, their own software failing.

I've lost my fingerprint sign on, as it was incompatible. And I have had to change my antivirus software as Kaspersky has not yet released a W7 update.

The taskbar is now awful. Even once I realised I had to change the icons to small, they are not small, they are medium and just take up so much space. They are also in boxes of space, so they take up loads of room.
I have effectively lost my quick launch toolbar, where I could one click opening for half a dozen regularly used programs. Now its click on start button, wait for the menu to slide up, wait as the program decides if it has a jump bar. Please can I buy a new copy of XP?

I’m not sure about how possible some of the things you mention would be, but there is one setting that may interest you, if you haven’t seen it already

I don't know why somebody would want XP now either. I further don't understand why people want to put windows 7 on old machines where much of the hardware is obsolete and hard to find drivers for.
Joe

At the request of a member, I am making the release Date a sticky thread... :)

It has been officially announced that Windows 7 will in fact be released on October 22nd, 2009.. :)

Now, to see how many will be camping out the night before.. ;)
Is there some different between MSDN and RTM?

Great Review on CNBC

<url>http://www.1cast.com/l/216638<url />

Saw a great review on the new OS this morning. Great discussion on the OS, Microsoft, & Steve Balmer. Check out this clip and get an analysis on Microsoft! :D

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Back
Top Bottom