Windows 7 Windows 7 release!

????? From the Amazon site you linked to.
Windows 7 Home Premium (includes 32-bit & 64-bit versions) makes it easy to create a home network and share all of your favorite photos, videos, and music--you can even watch, pause, rewind, and record TV

Ok, so we all know about Microsoft giving us alot of money off windows 7 if we pre-order....But, does the home premium come with 64bit? it says in the description it coems with 64 bit which confuses me lol sry for sounding lik a moron ¬_¬

Amazon.com: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade: Software
yes, all windows 7 will come with 32 and 64 bit, doesn't matter which one you get, it is all gonna be on one disc and I assume that if you have the system requirements for the 64 bit it will automatically install the 64 bit version for you...

Including both versions in all tiers is definitely a smart move on Microsoft's part.. ;) Unlike Vista where you only got both if you purchased Ultimate.. Of course in Vista's case you could always order the 64-bit version but no one likes to wait to get something that should have already been included, especially after paying that much money.. ;) This will definitely boost Windows 7 sales a little bit in my opinion.. :)

it is most definitely an added convenience, I must say, I just installed vista ultimate and it is nothing but a headache, very slow(compared to both xp and win7) not as compatible with drivers(even the ones designated for vista) am disappointed but glad to have win7 coming, this is the first time I put a vista on any of my systems and it's not hardware faultiness, I just built a pretty darn good system that should run any os with no problem but vista froze the first 5 times I ran it, I had to go into safe mode and fix 5 times before I could even do anything, I thought it might work itself out so I let it sit and it went to a yellow screen... wtf? anyway all praise win 7!

omni, I'm sorry to tell you this, but it is not vista, it is you.
I have vista on my home system since release, no issues.
My Aunt and Uncle have vista and no issues. a great many number of people also have vista with no issues.
I have installed Vista on many systems, many of which I know are still out there, and many of which I know months later were still running fine. This is not a Vista only being vista problem. Vista works and runs fine.

this is the first time I put a vista on any of my systems and it's not hardware faultiness

Yes, it is possible that it is drivers, bad install, something glitchy, but it is not vista alone, all by itself.

omni, I'm sorry to tell you this, but it is not vista, it is you.
I have vista on my home system since release, no issues.
My Aunt and Uncle have vista and no issues. a great many number of people also have vista with no issues.
I have installed Vista on many systems, many of which I know are still out there, and many of which I know months later were still running fine. This is not a Vista only being vista problem. Vista works and runs fine.

Yes, it is possible that it is drivers, bad install, something glitchy, but it is not vista alone, all by itself.
In defense of Omnivious, I have a number of customer that are using or have used Vista and his experience is not out of the ordinary. I have had several downgrade to XP and many have decided to use the Win7 RC just to have a stable operating system. I don't think that it is all him......

Then it has to be Hardware related. not necessarily bad hardware, just not up to par in someway.

There are a lot of systems out there that are touted as being Vista Ready, that truly are not.

I have to agree with Tepid .

Vista is a superb o/s. It does require a certain level of hardware - that is what it was built for.

Unfortunately, when it came to market, it ended up on a lot of machines it was not built for.

People blamed the o/s - they should have blamed whoever was responsible for putting it on those machines.

On my machine , Vista flies, always has, and is just as fast and responsive and 7.

In fact Vista boots 20% faster.

The great thing about 7 is that anyone who has an average e.g. $249 laptop can now have the "Vista Experience" , by installing 7.

I think that there were a lot of problems with third-party drivers for Vista back when it was first released in January of 2007. (I'm not sure that I recall the exact number, but I think that more than 40% of the errors were due to nVidia graphics drivers. I don't say that to knock nVidia - I've used mostly nVidia graphics cards since 1997, and my current card is one of theirs.) I expect that most of the Vista issues have been cleaned up by now, but not all of the problems with it were of the PEBKAC (problem exists between keyboard and chair) type. Saying that they were is both false and insulting.

There was also that "certified for Vista" fiasco, with the stickers on machines that could only fully support Vista Basic. I'd blame the PC makers, but Microsoft was a party to it.

XP wasn't entirely trouble free in its early days (late 2001), either. I had the poor judgement to use the Norton security package of the day, and for a time it had some serious compatibility issues. I guess after 8 years, people forget. (Or, they've only been using XP since SP1, in late 2002, after most of the issues were sorted.)

I'm pretty hopeful about Windows 7. I've gotten drivers to work for all of my hardware, although my soundcard (Asus Xonar DX) drivers are hacked. I'd be pleasantly surprised if there are no compatibility issues for anyone on October 23.

I would totally claim operator error if I believe it to be so but my error came with a fresh install of windows vista on a new machine that I would say had only parts that are less then a year old and are above average standards, the only reason why I would say it's os error is if it is, I have used xp since the early days and it did have it's issues but I have had less issues trying to fix issues with the xp platform then the vista platform, luckily, I have yet to come across a serious issue with win7 rc which was a very pleasant surprise, I am not saying vista is crap however I am saying, in my experience, it's not the more stable of windows releases, I have seen the windows os progress over the past 15 or so years(starting with the win 3.x) and there is a pattern to what and how they release os's. it's usually success, flop, success, flop, and of the flops, vista was probably the best flop but honestly, if you can tell me that your vista has never NEVER had any issues then you are apparently not using a microsoft product, anything from microsoft has issues, well anything from any software manufacturer has issues but microsoft puts itself on front page so it gets blasted when it fails. I do enjoy having a accessible gui when I don't feel like messing with linux's command lines but issues are issues. I'm not saing that the issues I've ran across weren't easy fixes but it's more of a pain in my side then anything else...

if you can tell me that your vista has never NEVER had any issues

Yes, I can tell you that I have not had any issues with Vista that I have not caused myself, or by 3rd party software.
I am not saying that Vista is flawless, but most of what people call windows problems actually aren't.
They are far more often the fault of the user, or driver or 3rd party software.

the point of "windows" was to allow third party software, if windows didn't allow third party software, it would have been apple, my point is, the support for third party software is what got windows to where it is now, how could you go and make a gui that doesn't support what the last gen already supported, that's what was great about win 98, xp had it's faults when it came out but in my experience, it had better driver and software(third party) support then vista did, I was there for the win 98 and xp release and use both but vista was a insufficient release, not because the vista itself had issues necessarily but because it didn't support many things that it's predecessor did, I think win7 may be the best they've done as far as taking the next step without killing the past steps that have been taken, some may say it's stepping back, I say it's progress with keeping roots... it's the whole backwards compatibility thing, that's why playstion did so well until ps3 and that's why xbox 360 kinda didn't do as well because it did not support it's predecessor, if you had to buy a whole new collection of software every time you got a new os, I would never get a new os, and I feel like that's what vista did with the whole compatibility thing, go buy new stuff that matches our stuff because we're not gonna match the older things that used to work on the predecessor... I felt as though it was a rip off! that's just how I saw it, by no means is vista necessarily bad but, personally, I cannot say that I'm a fan, there are still hardware issues with vista and I really wanted to move on from xp because it was getting old, that's why I'm glad win7 is coming!:)

But Vista ain't XP and vice versa. So stop trying to compare the 2.

I would need to find the article, but, Longhorn took longer than expected for several reasons, a lot of them MS fault.
One of them was due to complaints that older software would not work in Longhorn. I am not talking about Vista Longhorn. But the original Longhorn. And 3rd party vendors would have to do massive rewrites of their software.
But, the original Longhorn was supposed to have been even better than what we have now.

Weather that is true or not we will never know. But, people complain how bad Windows is, then they change it and try to improve on it and people complain about that, If there are problems with the old Kernal (which there were) and it needs to be updated/changed to improve on it, and that is going to break stuff, and 3rd party vendors don't want to get on board, or not be ready for it, then we will be stuck in the friggin dark ages forever.

Vista was a big step in the right direction, and by no means was it all MS's fault for it's rep.
The lion's share lay with the 3rd Party community and the big OEM Hardware Community
They had plenty of time to be ready, they refused, then sold crap XP machines and put vista on them, allowed customers to dictate what they wanted instead of telling them what they would need.

I say screw all of you whiny b*tches. If you can't afford it, go use linux.
And if that offends you, too bad.

you cannot sit there and tell me that they couldn't have made vista to be like windows7 is now, that would have been the right step in my opinion, and the thing about windows in general is that their target market is the general public with limited or maybe no experience in programming or anything more then maybe surfing the web, that's why they NEED to cater to them and they are with win 7, like I said before, when vista is paired with everything that is "compatible" with vista, it's a mostly flawless os, but vista compatibility was misconstrued by ms and third party due to lack or no communication, when you release an os that's meant for the general public, as a business you need to make sure that things are ready and setup properly, I believe they've achieved it with win 7 and would like to exclaim yay for win7! once again!

No, vendors had a full year+ to be ready for Vista. Much like 7.
Although there was not as much hoopla in the open market like 7.

They had access to Beta's and RC's as much if not more than we did with vista.
They (Vendors) didn't start working on drivers until a full 5 to 6 (some 7) months after Vista hit shelves.

Also,,,,

Due to the many complications of getting Vista to where it was, for the many myriad reasons, we ARE lucky it wasn't another true ME experience. Vista was/is (with some very minor, non-show stopper issues) a very solid OS on the right hardware from the very start.

Is 7 better? Yes.
Could this have been a service pack? Probably.
Do we have a choice? Yes, go use Mac or Linux or stick with XP, or BEoS or other numerous OS's out there.
Hell, even ReactOS is getting to a stable point, which will be interesting if it ever gets completed.

Back