Windows 7 windows 7 runs video cards hotter. (at least mine)

Nurb

I have a 9800 gx2 and noticed that evga precision registers anywhere from 78-80C while idling (balanced performance and aero turned off to make sure that wasn't doing it) and gets up around 90C under load. when I boot xp, it only idles 71-75C. The fan is working properly and set to auto.

however, everest ultimate shows the temps to be 71-73C idling while precision gives me the above temps. But regardless, both are hotter than when running XP. Though I dunno which app to trust.

i use gpu z and everest which have given me identical readings or near enough try givng that a shot and see what temps you get.

also on a side note your g9800 gx2 is running extremely hot for idle and load
-do you have stock cooling?
-is it overclocked if so what clocks?

when i had my 9800 gx2 it was idling 45-50 or so and load was 70ish on about 80% fan speed constant

yes, I've

i use gpu z and everest which have given me identical readings or near enough try givng that a shot and see what temps you get.

also on a side note your g9800 gx2 is running extremely hot for idle and load
-do you have stock cooling?
-is it overclocked if so what clocks?

when i had my 9800 gx2 it was idling 45-50 or so and load was 70ish on about 80% fan speed constant

its all stock for clocks and cooling and the fan gets up to 100% fairly quickly when the temps get in the 80's for load. I knew something was up. I figgered I'd hafta rma.

mmm what kinda of case and ventilation u have set up as the gx2 does have a tendency to dump alot of heat into the case

mmm what kinda of case and ventilation u have set up as the gx2 does have a tendency to dump alot of heat into the case
I have 3 case fans for exhaust, and my mobo, cpu and HDD are all mid-40's, its just the card that shows a big spike in heat

Gtx 9800 +

My temps on air is 33 running LuxRiot software for cams. The secreet to cool video cards is a goos case with alot of fans . I am using a Koolance PC-3 and water cooling the prosesor only. I have a 80mm fan on the dvd drive pointing at the top on the video card , I set the video card at 80% fan. It idels at 33C and full load at 45C , for air this is real cool. A big case and alot of fans are the secret, Make sure it go into 2 D mode at idel. I have found that if you overclock the cards they will run cooler as well. But not a hole bunch. I run mine at 740, 1835, 1100 and 80% fan.

Thomas :cool:

I made an account on these forums just for this and I will bookmark this page.

I am having the exact same problem with the exact same video card, the 9800GX2 by EVGA.

My problem is a little more extreme and it is obvious (and sad :-( ) that it is windows 7.

My video card was crashing ALOT when running high graphic games. My card will run them but it will crash and I will lose all video feed making me have to restart. I got angry and downloaded SpeedFan to see my temp. After a the restart my card was running at 110C!!! after idleing for 20 min it only droped to 103C and stayed about that. I rebooted into XP(only took less than 3 min) and im allready at my normal idle temp (45C) which is VERY cool.

MY SYSTEM IS FINE!....this is really the first problem I have had with windows 7. I will try to fix it myself (I do know a lot about comptuters) but help would be...well...helpfull. I really hope Microsoft fixes this, because it seems I am not the only one having this problem.

oh also I have the 64 version of 7, if that matters.

You guys might want to use the Vista drivers, as catalyst controls the fans, and if they're not being controlled properly (beta drivers, perhaps) they're going to get hot.

Thank you very much, that worked....well kinda.

It took me several hours to figure out exactly how windows 7 works and getting around its flaws.

1. I had to boot up in safe mode after using driver sweeper to delete my old drivers.
2. I had to use driver sweeper again because windows 7 automatically tried to install the beta driver again. Even though I disabled this setting.
3. Install vista drivers.
4. reboot in safe mode again and install vista driver again( apparently it doesn't do them all the first time....and doesn't inform you of this)
5. reboot...have a couple error missing .dll messages.....and i idle at 43C again....

wtf? microsoft. although I guess this is just beta though. The normal end user would have died trying to fix this.

EDIT:::

lol nvm....STILL NOT WORKING....the card is now not overheating but it will still crash when running games on the source engine in the exact same way.....

I really think I should just continue using Windows XP for another 5 years......

Last edited:
Back