Windows 7 Windows 7 sees the NIC but won't pick up a DHCP address

brianashe

I put Windows 7 (build 7000) onto a plain-vanilla Dell Dimension 4600. It seems to have found the NIC (evidently an Intel Pro/100 VE) just fine: Link Removed due to 404 Error
... but I'm not picking up an address from my equally-vanilla Linksys router. With the cable unplugged the network window looks like this: Link Removed due to 404 Error
... and as soon as I plug in a cable it starts doing stuff: Link Removed due to 404 Error
... further confirming my belief that the NIC is working and Windows 7 can see it just fine. But then it doesn't pick up an address. Link Removed due to 404 Error

'ipconfig' in a CMD window confirms that it's using a self-assigned (169.x.y.z) address. This machine was online 2 hours ago with XP, so the NIC, cable, and router are all fine.

Any ideas?

hi, i am also experiencing the same issue wit my netgear fa311 adapter, tried many a times and many a steps, still getting 169.x.x.x

any solutions??

'ipconfig' in a CMD window confirms that it's using a self-assigned (169.x.y.z) address

this is not your correct IP, it's local only. Have you tried unplugging the power to the router, then wait a few minutew and plug it back in?

As mike2k9 suggested, you should post the Ipconfig info.

Just include the information under the Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

dhcp and win 7

Hey I have a very similar config. Have you tried rebooting the modem, router, and pc? The 169.254.x.x is a local not connected address. The only thing different from the box on xp to now is the driver. I know we all hate the update the driver help but you never know. Get the driver from someone other than DELL. I was having a monster video problem and dells driver was the problem. Got a driver from intel snd presto. Good luck Ken

Dhcp issue, windows 7 failes to pick ip from Dhcp server. RESOLVED

Please disable symantec end point antivirus or any other antivirus software installed in your windows 7 machine and try ...this should fix your dhcp issue.

enjoy.....:cool::cool::cool:

Regards
Madhu...:razz:
Bangalore

Found a solution - Windows 7 DHCP internet problem

I faced this problem. My laptop has Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit OS with Broadcom Netlink Gigabit Ethernet. My DHCP internet was working fine until sometime and it stopped working all of a sudden. I have an other laptop which has Windows XP in it. When I connected the internet cable to that laptop, it worked fine. So, I looked up on internet to resolve the issue on my Windows 7 laptop for 3 days so far. I tried everything from disabling windows firewall and uninstalling my antivirus software. I came across this - "How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" article on Microsoft Support website.

I applied the Microsoft Fix it 50199. In that article, though it is not mentioned that it can be applied for Windows 7, I gave it a try and it did magic after I applied the fix and restarted the laptop. Its getting connected to internet.

Srikanth
Hyderabad

The fix for me was disabling the auto-negotiation of the NIC link speed. I set the link speed to match the switch, which was 100mb full duplex in my case.

There are many reasons for dhcp issues. I've found several that play a part in windows 7. First, windows 7 uses ipversion6, which sits on top of version 4 (and version 4 does standard ipaddress resolution with ARP Mac addresses). IPVERSION6 relies heavily on set speed values in Vista and 7, and it will have trouble (occasionally) negotiating a link speed between machines (so if you share files, you may develop some errors in your pathways). Also, some cards do not use internal algorithms to negotiate link speeds. They ask the router for it. If you set the link speed for your card, it will negotiate properly. What you may try doing is turning off all qos (set to disable), and set the packet size frames to between 8 and 32k. These are older standard settings, and your card will adopt this connection type, which is much more compatible. Using 64k is not recommended, and 32k is hit and miss, but 8 or 16 work fine usually. Try uninstalling your driver and reinstalling. Then try turning off the adapter, turn off ipv6, turn on adapter, connect to wireless signal, and turn on ipv6. Wait 3 minutes, disable and enable adapter, and your ipv6 will resolve to nil, and you'll sit right on top of ipv4 with an open ipv6 linkage (workgrouping firewall system for home premium). Ive found that flushing out the ipv6 problem fixes most connections, but sometimes it's the packet sizing or wmm of the card interfering. The negotiation should happen auto if you set those, but if you wish to set it to your link speed, it shouldn't hurt (though you will be limited to that wherever else you go). As always to anybody I attempt to help with info I've tested, this may or may not fix your problem. Try updating any firmware, and update drivers. You may find your functionality in that alone. WinVista\7 has an issue with ipv6 (it will put it on most cards even if unsupported and if you link it to anything it will default to that setting cutting you off everywhere else; so turning it off and resolving over ipv4 first helps; then restarting ipv6 while connection is live will activate the protocol with the ipv4 resolution, and leave ipv6 with an open--or standard nonserver host-- configuration that does home-premium style filesharing without the conflict).

Back