Windows 7 Windows 7 Sharing Insists on Password

Aubri

I have two Windows 7 Home Premium machines on the same network, and in the same workgroup for the benefit of an XP machine. For the moment, though, only the Win 7 machines are important. I do not have a homegroup set up at the moment (doing so does not change anything.)

For the purpose of this exercise, I will try to access Machine B from Machine A. (The same thing happens if I try this on Machine A from Machine B.) On Machine A, I click Network, then click on Machine B. It pops up a Windows Security box that insists that I enter a network username and password to log into Machine B, saying "Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password".

I want it to freely share with everyone on the network, just like XP used to do. Before you say it, by the way, password protected sharing is already off on both machines.

When logging on across the network to access shared resources you will need to follow the credential format that includes the machine name of the machine you are attempting to log on to.
MachineName\Username (The machine name of the computer you are attempting to access followed by a backslash and then a valid username on that machine and then the password for that user on that machine.
See attachments.

When logging on across the network to access shared resources you will need to follow the credential format that includes the machine name of the machine you are attempting to log on to.
MachineName\Username (The machine name of the computer you are attempting to access followed by a backslash and then a valid username on that machine and then the password for that user on that machine.
See attachments.

Thank you for your help, but it didn't work. I told it to log into TARGETCOMPUTERNAME\TargetUsername and provided the correct password, but it still fails the login. In fact, it does not display the correct user icon, so I don't think it's even recognizing the account name.

Often times third party firewall products like Comodo or ZoneAlarm and or third party Internet Security Suites like AVG, Avira, Avast, Norton/Symantec, McAfee, etc., can cause issues like you are currently experiencing. You might want to consider uninstalling any such software using the program's uninstaller if present in the program directory, or else by using the programs and features applet in the control panel, and follow that up by using the vendor specific proprietary removal tool at list of some can be found here http://windows7forums.com/blue-screen-death-bsod/50402-removal-tools-antivirus-software-drivers.html if yours is not present use Google to find it.
Replace any such software with the built in windows firewall and Link Removed due to 404 Error.

Often times third party firewall products like Comodo or ZoneAlarm and or third party Internet Security Suites like AVG, Avira, Avast, Norton/Symantec, McAfee, etc., can cause issues like you are currently experiencing. You might want to consider uninstalling any such software using the program's uninstaller if present in the program directory, or else by using the programs and features applet in the control panel, and follow that up by using the vendor specific proprietary removal tool at list of some can be found here http://windows7forums.com/blue-screen-death-bsod/50402-removal-tools-antivirus-software-drivers.html if yours is not present use Google to find it.
Replace any such software with the built in windows firewall and Link Removed due to 404 Error.

No. I'm not going to remove Avast. If you have any suggestions on what part I should reconfigure, though...

I am having a very similar problem and was wondering if a solution was found by the original poster. In my situation, i have Computer A set up as a home server where all of my shared files are and Computers B and C that are laptops used by me and my wife. I get the same "logon failures" described above when trying to access shared folders on Computer A from either of the laptops.

I noticed that in one of the responses above, there is an attached image showing that the "DOMAIN" listed under the user/password fields is defaulted to the current machine and that "this must be changed". However, i don't see how to do this. From my laptop, the domain is listed as "ComputerB", and I have tried typing "//ComputerA/AdminOfComputerA" in the user filed and then the password, but it says something to the effect that i cannot change domains.

If i need to give more precise wordage of the error messages, i can do that tomorrow. Any suggestions? I feel like i have tried everything.

Back