Windows 7 Windows 7 "System Builder" vs. Full Edition?

JustSomeDude

Anyone know the difference between the two, aside from the $140 price difference, and no Microsoft support on the OEM version?

I think the answer you are looking for, as Drew implied is the license is different.

If you install a System builder license - you cannot later move it to a different machine.

You can upgrade that machine as much as you want - including the mobo - if windows thinks it is on a different machine - ring MS - they give you another key. They only let you do that once.

I think the answer you are looking for, as Drew implied is the license is different.

If you install a System builder license - you cannot later move it to a different machine.

You can upgrade that machine as much as you want - including the mobo - if windows thinks it is on a different machine - ring MS - they give you another key. They only let you do that once.

Well, I don't think I'll be putting it on a new system anytime soon. And considering it's $179 at NewEgg, I may have to hook it up...

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - Operating Systems

$10 promo code: EMCMLNN24

if I want to by a windows 7 Home premium to use in my desktop and 2 laptops (desktop currently with ubuntu and W7 RC and laptops with ubuntu and vista)
Can't I by a OEM for the three machines? For the laptops, will an upgrade work even if I don't have the FULL DVD for vista and only the recovery dvd's? (I would prefer doing a clean install)

Thanks!

If you want to use it on 3 machines - there is a family license - $150 I think- for 3 machines - you would need to check MS store for details.

You will be fine to use an upgrade key if you have an oem pre install on the machine.

Whichever way - you need a license for each machine.

thanks

thanks!

looks like u$s 150 is the 3pcs family pack (here)

To make a clean install can I use the purchased key directly or do I need to first install the OEM that the laptop dvd has?
And on my desktop, will it work since I only have W7 RC currently (my main OS there is ubuntu)

Thanks again!

Back