Windows 7 Windows 7 upgarade question?

hoostie

Hey all. I have a question for you. I have been running the rc x64 on my i7 gaming machine for a while and wanted to purchase win 7. Since I am a student I have the option to purchase home premium upgrade for 30 bucks. My question is, since this is the upgrade, can I just download a copy thats not an upgarde somewhere and use the serial that I get to make this work. I just want to do a clean install and no do the upgrade stuff.

Thanks for the help

The upgrade disk has an option to use CUSTOM install and format your drive or partition and do a clean install. The upgrade version basically doesn't boot like the full version. It may ( or may not) seek some kind of verification that you already have a registered/activated vista or xp. Hopefully I'll have this upgrade disk in a few days and I'll find out exactly what the minimum requirements are to get it to do a clean install.

Hey all. I have a question for you. I have been running the rc x64 on my i7 gaming machine for a while and wanted to purchase win 7. Since I am a student I have the option to purchase home premium upgrade for 30 bucks. My question is, since this is the upgrade, can I just download a copy that's not an upgrade somewhere and use the serial that I get to make this work. I just want to do a clean install and not do the upgrade stuff.

There are rumors all over the place. What I might suggest, if you have an activated copy of the RC, try upgrading from that. And by upgrade, I do not mean an in-place upgrade, but a clean install upgrade. I think I would wait until you actually had the new key, but it seems the files needed are about the same. Whether there is a difference in the downloaded upgrade and full version, I do not know.

Maybe someone who has the upgrade version already, from a legal source, would know what the ei.cfg file says. I would only try something different to avoid having to download the files after the 22nd, which might a problem. After all, having a legal (paid for) key is the real issue, not where you got the actual files.

There are rumors all over the place. What I might suggest, if you have an activated copy of the RC, try upgrading from that. And by upgrade, I do not mean an in-place upgrade, but a clean install upgrade. I think I would wait until you actually had the new key, but it seems the files needed are about the same. Whether there is a difference in the downloaded upgrade and full version, I do not know.

Maybe someone who has the upgrade version already, from a legal source, would know what the ei.cfg file says. I would only try something different to avoid having to download the files after the 22nd, which might a problem. After all, having a legal (paid for) key is the real issue, not where you got the actual files.

RC won't upgrade will it? Once it gets to 7100 that's the end of the line. You can probably boot from it and do a clean install to 7600

Well, that is pretty much what was said. This "upgrade" word situation is confusing but I tried to be clear. And I do not know if it will even work, might just be a rumor.

The real question is, can the OP download files from another trusted source and use them or are the "upgrade" downloads different in some respect which would make a specific set of files necessary for an upgrade?

Last edited:
Well, that is pretty much what was said. This "upgrade" word situation is confusing but I tried to be clear. And I do not know if it will even work, might just be a rumor.

The real question is, can the OP download files from another trusted source and use them or are the "upgrade" downloads different in some respect which would make a specific set of files necessary for an upgrade?

I should have said that 7100 won't upgrade like 6800 did by editing ei.config and getting the new os from Microsoft through the install custom option.

Micrsoft did say you had to do a clean install when you replaced an RC version with the final... but we'll see. I doubt it.

I didn't want any old crapola carried over from an RC version. I saw what a crappy job it did upgrading Vista. I had over a thousand duplicated files and it just used the old drivers ... when I rean Driver Genius I had 32 outdated drivers. I didn't know that I had that many devices that needed drivers.

I haven't read all the replies in detail...

U cannot do an "in-place" upgrade from RC > RTM, must be done as a "Custom" or clean install.

U do not/cannot use the Key from the RC. U'll need to refer back to your Vista or whatever u had before the Windows 7 betas.

The methodology for clean installs w/ Upgarde media are here in this forum & elsewhere. If u don't find that whenI have more time I'll dig it up for you. OR some1 else will point u.

Drew
Don't mean to disagree but I've upgraded myself from RC>RTM. Just do a google on cversion.ini or go to this link Edit cversion.ini File to Upgrade Windows 7 RTM Version from Windows 7 RC

Don't mean to disagree but I've upgraded myself from RC>RTM. Just do a google on cversion.ini or go to this link Edit cversion.ini File to Upgrade Windows 7 RTM Version from Windows 7 RC

I tried the cversion.ini modification and I could not get 7100 (the last RC) --- to install 7600 (the RTM )

Did you get that modification it to work? I think that only worked to upgrade 6800 and 7000 to 7100 .. but when you get to 7100 the trick doesn't work anymore.

What I want to know is ... can you boot from RC disk then swap to a 7100 UPGRADE disk and get to Custom install... so that a new hard drive can install from an upgrade version of Win 7. I've paid for an upgrade version that is supposed to be availabel for download in about 5 days. I'll find out then and the guessing will be over.

I tried the cversion.ini modification and I could not get 7100 (the last RC) --- to install 7600 (the RTM )

Did you get that modification it to work? I think that only worked to upgrade 6800 and 7000 to 7100 .. but when you get to 7100 the trick doesn't work anymore.

What I want to know is ... can you boot from RC disk then swap to a 7100 UPGRADE disk and get to Custom install... so that a new hard drive can install from an upgrade version of Win 7. I've paid for an upgrade version that is supposed to be availabel for download in about 5 days. I'll find out then and the guessing will be over.
Substitute 7000 for 7100, both entries.

Back