Windows 7 Windows 7 WILL NOT install 64-bit on my system, only 32-bit!!??!

mikeystover

I just formatted my computer and after completion of my install of Windows 7 I noticed that it installed the 32-bit version, yet for the last year it has been running the 64-bit version!!

I have no idea why it won't let me install the 64-bit version, I even tried another fresh install of Windows 7 but I got the same result.

Thinking it was hardware, I ran the Windows Experience Index and then clicked "View details etc.." and it indeed did say that my system IS 64-bit capable!!!

What am I doing wrong?? Or what am I not doing in order to reach the [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]64-bit[/COLOR][/COLOR] install threshold? Please help and thank you for reading and responding

I also have my ram and processor overclocked (running at 3.1 ghz)

Here is the log from 5 minutes ago on my lates WEI run!

Component Details Subscore Base score
Processor [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Intel[/COLOR][/COLOR](R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz 6.4 5.5
Determined by lowest subscore

Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB ---->> 5.5
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1) ---->> 6.7
Gaming graphics 1023 MB Total available graphics memory ---->> 6.7
Primary hard disk 290GB Free (298GB Total) ---->> 5.9
Windows 7 Ultimate

System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer System manufacturer
Model System Product Name
Total amount of system memory 2.00 GB RAM
System type 32-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 2
64-bit capable Yes <<<<<<<<<---------------------------!!!!!!

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 298 GB
Disk partition (C 290 GB Free (298 GB Total)
Media drive (D CD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1)
Total available graphics memory 1087 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 320 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 767 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.15.11.8593
Primary monitor resolution 1920x1080
DirectX version DirectX 10

Network

Network Adapter Realtek RTL8168B/8111B Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20)

Notes

Are you using the right CD, When you went out to buy the retail version, It would off come with 2 Disc's one 32bit, the other 64bit, OEM Versions have only one disk, either 32bit or 64bit.

Did you buy the Computer? it maybe came preinstalled with 64bit, but they supplyied the 32bit disc instead by mistake

try disabling the overclocking before installing... see if that helps the detection routines, although as previously said, it would be very unusual for them to supply both editions on a single backup drive/dvd

Back