Windows 8.1 64-Bit, Event ID 5, KERNEL-GENERAL

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Help and Support' started by BL4CKC4T13, Apr 9, 2015.

1. BL4CKC4T13

BL4CKC4T13 New Member

Hi there, folks. I am running Windows 8.1 64-bit on a Dell Inspiron 660s Desktop. This morning when I tried to sign-in to my computer, I used my password and got an error reading:

"The Group Policy Client service failed the sign-in. The universal unique identifier (UUID) type is not supported."

There was a blue button with the "OK" in it. I clicked on "OK" and the computer said it was "Signing Out" with a circle of small dots spinning. When I tried to sign-in once more, I had no problem. I checked the Event Viewer, and saw that there was a CRITICAL ERROR stating it was "Event ID 5, KERNEL-GENERAL." it reads:

"{Registry Hive Recovered} Registry Hive (file): '\SystemRoot\System32\Config\RegBack\SYSTEM' was corrupted and it has been recovered. Some data might have been lost."

Now, I'm afraid to shut down the computer because I have no idea what to do about this error or if it will happen again. I realize it says the file was "recovered," but was it really? Can anyone tell me WHY I may have gotten this error to begin with and what, if any, I can do about it from happening again? Appreciate your replies and insight.

2. BL4CKC4T13

BL4CKC4T13 New Member

OK, as the day wears on, I'm finding many more problems. First off, my Dell is speaking to me telling me I have no Anti-virus installed (which I do), it's telling me Windows Firewall is not turned on (which it is). When I go to Control Panel to check on Windows Firewall, I click on the appropriate choice and it never opens. I've also found today that I cannot delete things off my desktop. I tried right clicking on a photo I want to delete and all it does is hang. When I click away from the photo, the desktop goes gray for a moment, then the icons disappear for a 1/2 second and my desktop comes back to normal. Before I forget, Dell is also telling me that I don't have Windows Updates turned on (which I DO). When I check, it says that Windows Automatic Updates are turned on!

I have verified that I still have my AVAST! Anti-virus installed via the Control Panel. If I click on "Programs and Features" it does let me see what's installed and AVAST! is there. There are NO "unknown" programs in the list. I have AVAST! pinned to my Task Bar. When I click on it, it will NOT open. I went to the charms to see if I could open AVAST! from there, same thing - it won't open.

I was able to run Malwarebytes and all it found were a bunch of PUPs. I ran it twice. Once without the rootkit scanner, then with the rootkit scanner. First time it found 108 PUPs via the Heuristic Analysis. I was able to quarantine 95 of them. When I ran the second time with the rootkit scanner, again, it found 14 PUPs, 2 of those were "removed." That still leaves 12. After scanning was done, in both instances, I was NOT able to click the "FINISH" button on Malwarebytes.

I decided to run McAfee Stinger for 64-bit systems. It found no threats.

I'm going crazy here and just don't have a clue what happened. Everything was fine last night when I shut the computer down. This morning, headaches!