Windows 8 Windows 8.1 Pro Fresh Install? (Reformat)

ripper2124

Hi,

I bought my computer along time ago and it came with windows xp. It had an offer that let me upgrade to windows 7 for free. A year later, I bought windows 8 pro upgrade and installed that. After that, I was upgraded to windows 8.1 pro. Flash forward a bit, I've lost my windows 8 upgrade cd, and since my computer came pre-installed with windows xp/7, I have no discs for those either. My question is, how do I go about reformatting my computer to do a fresh install of windows 8.1? I've used Belarc Advisor to get my Microsoft - Windows 8.1 Professional (x64) key. It gave me two keys xxxxx-xxxxx and then one inside (xxxxx-xxxxx). Can I use these keys to just download the iso of windows 8.1 pro to activate my version of windows? And if so, which key do I use, the one inside or outside of the parenthesis? Thanks for any help.

RE : which key do I use, the one inside or outside of the parenthesis?
None of the above.
You product key is a 25 digits set. The set comprises of 5, 5 digit format.
xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

You installed Win 8 Pro first, then upgraded to Win 8.1 Pro. Yes?
You did that 8.1 upgrade via Windows Store. Yes?
If yes to both of the above, you do NOT have a Win 8.1 Pro product key.
You have, instead, a Win 8 Pro product key.
Belarc Advisor should have that product key listed under Software Licenses heading.
Image 2.png

RE : how do I go about reformatting my computer to do a fresh install of windows 8.1?

You will have to re-install Win 8 Pro then upgrade back to Win 8.1 Pro via Windows Store.
Since you have lost the Win 8 Pro disk, here is a link from Microsoft showing you how.
Have you Win 8 Pro product key ready.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

Last edited:
Back