Windows 8 Windows 8 freezing after switching off TomTom 930

bellagio

Hi, I've just upgraded from Windows 7 64bit to Windows 8 64bit Professional. Now everytime I switch my TomTom Go 930 off it freezes Windows 8 for 60 seconds then reboots Windows saying inaccessible boot device. I've read it's where Windows 8 thinks my TomTom Go 930 drive is a Windows to go USB drive but have no idea how to disable this. If I switch the TomTom back on straight after switching it off it unfreezes Windows. This only happens on my TomTom Go 930 and not on my XL. I also tried a clean install of Windows 8 and TomTom Home software but it does the same. Any help appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi usasma, thankyou for your reply. I'm using version 2.9.2 but it still does it whether TomTom Home is connected or not.
It freezes Windows 8 as soon as I click the safely remove button. It then stays frozen until I restart the tomtom and click on connect to computer. I've tried formatting the tomtom and it still does it with no data on the tomtom. I've tried formatting it to fat and fat 32 but still no luck. I've now restored it to an old restore and it still freezes as soon as it disconnects. Windows will then restart and it will then warn me not to disconnect my Windows To Go drive. I didn't even think Windows Pro 8 had Windows to go built in! I've also noticed that in Windows Explorer it will crash explorer if I right click on the tomtom drive and try to select properties. Please note that it works absolutely fine in windows 7.

I tried using the tool to submit reports and ran it as administrator, it seemed to run fine but the folder it creates on my desktop was empty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try this to get the reports:

Type "event viewer" (without the quotes) in the Start Screen and press ENTER to open it.
Expand the Windows Logs category by clicking on the > next to it
Right click on the Application log file and select "Save all events as..." - Give it a name similar to App or Application
Then right click on the System log file and select "Save all events as..." - Give it a name similar to Sys or System
Zip them up and upload them with your next post.

View attachment Documents.zip

Hi Usasma,

Not sure why but my Windows 8 doesn't seem to like uploading/attaching files so I've sent them to my Windows 7 PC and uploading them from there. I hope that they display correctly. Another thing I've noticed is that my Netgear router homepage doesn't display correctly on my Windows 8 Internet Explorer 10 PC. If you press refresh lots it seems to load a bit a time but still not all of it. Am wondering if that might be a java or flash type prob.

A quick look at the system log shows lot's of problems with the Windows installation. It may be a virus infection, but I can't be sure - and if it's not, then it's definitely a problem with the OS.

This error, in particular, causes me a great deal of concern!:
Custom dynamic link libraries are being loaded for every application. The system administrator should review the list of libraries to ensure they are related to trusted applications. Please visit Working with the AppInit_DLLs registry value for more information.

Then, couple that with this one (which is Windows' way of saying it doesn't know what happened):
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

So, I'd suggest a clean install of Windows 8 after wiping the hard drive with either KillDisk or DBAN (both are free with an internet search). Just in case you wish to revert to Win7, make sure that you have the restore disks for that OS also. If you have an upgrade version of Win8 (and can't activate it because of that), please post back for advice on how to activate it.

Please follow these steps:
- install Windows 8 without connecting to the internet (use a local account)
- check Device Manager to be sure all devices are installed. If not, then install the drivers from the Device Manufacturer's website.
- install ALL available Windows Updates
- DO NOT install anything else!!!
- then install the TomTom stuff and see if it works then

Just FYI - I also found this sort of error in the application log - and it also causes me concern (AFAIK, svchost.exe shouldn't be uninstalling things):
Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards.

DETAIL -
3 user registry handles leaked from \Registry\User\S-1-5-21-25959527-786073545-2419773655-1001:
Process 1080 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-25959527-786073545-2419773655-1001
Process 1260 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-25959527-786073545-2419773655-1001\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
Process 1080 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-25959527-786073545-2419773655-1001\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Connections

Thanks for your help. I will try another clean install. Where it says 'The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first', I think this was when it froze I held the power button on the PC for 5 seconds to restart it as it had completely frozen.

After another clean install it still kept freezing.
I think I may have solved this by following: My computer thinks it's a Windows To Go computer but it's not...
Basically the TomTom and my PC drive had the same unique ID so had to give the TomTom a new ID using diskpart.exe (after backing up TomTom first) then format it then copy the TomTom data back onto it. Hope this helps someone as whether its a TomTom or USB stick it should work the same. Thanks again for your help.

Thanks for posting back with a solution! This will help others that encounter this sort of problem

Back