Windows 9 in Action

Status
Not open for further replies.

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Get a look at some of the 'new' stuff in Windows 9.....

Yes but will one be able to buy this in retail separate from windows 8?
Like not needing a windows 8 install to use it?
If so thats rubbish.

Yes but will one be able to buy this in retail separate from windows 8?
Like not needing a windows 8 install to use it?
If so thats rubbish.
That doesn't make any sense.
Why would being able to purchase a retail version
AND not needing a Windows 8 install to use it
Be "rubbish".

That doesn't make any sense.
Why would being able to purchase a retail version
AND not needing a Windows 8 install to use it
Be "rubbish".

It should be availible as its own product so that I dont have to touch windows 8 to use it.
Thats what I am jabbing at.

I'm not a 100% sure on this but I think it will be available as a standalone product and if you have either Windows 8 or 8.1 as a free upgrade.

It seems I may be wrong:

ref:
http://www.itpro.co.uk/operating-systems/22988/windows-9-to-be-free-for-windows-81-users

So according to the above Windows 9 could offered as a free upgrade regardless of which os your using.
Microsoft wants to tempt everyone into using it....

Last edited:

Well its still not a free upgrade if you are using windows 7 or dont own a copy of windows 8

It's pointless arguing over the minutiae until the full facts are known.

There is no obligation to use the Threshold Start menu. Same as I had quit using the old start menu long before Win8. Nice thing about Windows, so much is optional & open to personal taste, preference & design. So, Ralph, it can have what you want on it or not be used, at all.

Cheers,
Drew

Err we are taking about the windows desktop here right?
Because last time I checked the options of customization is limited in windows, just because you can turn the taskbar blue and change the background doesnt mean windows is limitless in customization.
If we were talking about KDE,XFCE or even gnome in linux I can agree but windows being customizable?
Not without using risky third party software or patches, at least in linux I know where my patches are coming from.
Windows? No not as much.

One issue that concerns me is the rumor this will be subscription based, meaning that if windows 9 has the same lifespan as XP had it could wind up the most expensive OS on the market if we add in inflation.
And you thought upfront cost of Macs were bad the rumor is that the cost of 9 will be $10 a year.
Now at first this sounds like a steal but over the course of several years that does add up.

So 10 (ten) years would work out to be $100 bucks.
When was the last time you purchase a Windows Operating System for $100 bucks.
Or for that matter, kept it for 10 years.
Not me but a lot of XP users kept their systems til the bitter end.

But the statement still stands, iif you dont already have a copy of windows 8 and if this is only a patch to windows 8 then you would still need to buy the OS (and windows costs more then 100 smackers unless you go aftermarket)
plus add in another five years the mnath just gets bigger.
Windows ultimate editions are ceretainly going to push you into having a $200 OS

lot of ifs and, and ifs, better known as wild speculations.
Perhaps we can revisit this once Windows 9 is an actual known quantity and the pricing (which is rumored to be either free or very inexpensive) and the potential upgrade paths ( which again, are rumored to perhaps extend to even XP users).

Without those facts in hand, then any and all of your very premature dissatisfaction with an OS that doesn't even exist yet is just sad and misguided and as far as I'm concerned, unnecessary and unwanted.

I am not judging windows 9, but I am pointing out one of the rumors and if true why it will bother me.
Just because I am the resident pro linux user doesnt mean I dont value other OS's I just have some concerns about them.
Windows 9 needs to be good, as windows 8 is so derided once again its like the vista situation or the ME situation.
So much hangs on windows 9, microsoft better tread lightly this round.

This article contains most of the recent info released about 9 although please remember this still not written in stone and things may change.

Reference:
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/new-prod...te-price-features-beta-uk-30-september-event/

Status
Not open for further replies.