Windows 9 in Action

Status
Not open for further replies.

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Get a look at some of the 'new' stuff in Windows 9.....

Yes but will one be able to buy this in retail separate from windows 8?
Like not needing a windows 8 install to use it?
If so thats rubbish.

Yes but will one be able to buy this in retail separate from windows 8?
Like not needing a windows 8 install to use it?
If so thats rubbish.
That doesn't make any sense.
Why would being able to purchase a retail version
AND not needing a Windows 8 install to use it
Be "rubbish".

That doesn't make any sense.
Why would being able to purchase a retail version
AND not needing a Windows 8 install to use it
Be "rubbish".

It should be availible as its own product so that I dont have to touch windows 8 to use it.
Thats what I am jabbing at.

I'm not a 100% sure on this but I think it will be available as a standalone product and if you have either Windows 8 or 8.1 as a free upgrade.

It seems I may be wrong:

Windows 9 is rumoured to be a free update for Windows 8.1 users, with more incentives for other customers
Microsoft is reportedly planning to offer incentives for existing users of its OS to upgrade to Windows 9, the software giant's next-generation operating system that looks set to debut on 30 September.

This news comes courtesy of well-known leaker WZOR, reported Myce, who has claimed that Windows 8.1 users will be offered the upgrade to Windows 9 for free, while those currently working with a retail or OEM version of Windows 8 could get it for a heavily discounted price ($20 in the US).

Microsoft also has plans in place to get rid of its ongoing Windows XP problem, by offering Windows 9 upgrade incentives to those still using the aged OS, it is claimed.

The company ended support for the older operating system earlier this year, but many are still holding on tight.

Microsoft clearly wants people on board with the new operating system as quickly as possible, and is willing to give it away for free to achieve this.

WZOR has become well known for offering reliable sneak peeks at Microsoft products ahead of their release, so there’s plenty of reason to believe this latest leak may be accurate. There’s also the fact that Windows 8.1 was previously made free for Windows 8 users to upgrade to.

The report also revealed that Microsoft isn’t releasing a test version of Windows 9 Pro OEM, with a Windows 9 Enterprise technical preview already out there.

A developer preview event taking place on 30 September is widely thought to be where Microsoft will launch the new operating system, with pricing and features confirmed.

Read more: http://www.itpro.co.uk/operating-sy...to-be-free-for-windows-81-users#ixzz3DQITtCpE
ref:
http://www.itpro.co.uk/operating-systems/22988/windows-9-to-be-free-for-windows-81-users

So according to the above Windows 9 could offered as a free upgrade regardless of which os your using.
Microsoft wants to tempt everyone into using it....

Last edited:
I'm not a 100% sure on this but I think it will be available as a standalone product and if you have either Windows 8 or 8.1 as a free upgrade.

It seems I may be wrong:

ref:
http://www.itpro.co.uk/operating-systems/22988/windows-9-to-be-free-for-windows-81-users

So according to the above Windows 9 could offered as a free upgrade regardless of which os your using.
Microsoft wants to tempt everyone into using it....

Well its still not a free upgrade if you are using windows 7 or dont own a copy of windows 8

It's pointless arguing over the minutiae until the full facts are known.

There is no obligation to use the Threshold Start menu. Same as I had quit using the old start menu long before Win8. Nice thing about Windows, so much is optional & open to personal taste, preference & design. So, Ralph, it can have what you want on it or not be used, at all.

Cheers,
Drew
thR0V6M5GG2.jpg

There is no obligation to use the Threshold Start menu. Same as I had quit using the old start menu long before Win8. Nice thing about Windows, so much is optional & open to personal taste, preference & design. So, Ralph, it can have what you want on it or not be used, at all.

Cheers,
Drew

Err we are taking about the windows desktop here right?
Because last time I checked the options of customization is limited in windows, just because you can turn the taskbar blue and change the background doesnt mean windows is limitless in customization.
If we were talking about KDE,XFCE or even gnome in linux I can agree but windows being customizable?
Not without using risky third party software or patches, at least in linux I know where my patches are coming from.
Windows? No not as much.

One issue that concerns me is the rumor this will be subscription based, meaning that if windows 9 has the same lifespan as XP had it could wind up the most expensive OS on the market if we add in inflation.
And you thought upfront cost of Macs were bad the rumor is that the cost of 9 will be $10 a year.
Now at first this sounds like a steal but over the course of several years that does add up.

So 10 (ten) years would work out to be $100 bucks.
When was the last time you purchase a Windows Operating System for $100 bucks.
Or for that matter, kept it for 10 years.
Not me but a lot of XP users kept their systems til the bitter end.

But the statement still stands, iif you dont already have a copy of windows 8 and if this is only a patch to windows 8 then you would still need to buy the OS (and windows costs more then 100 smackers unless you go aftermarket)
plus add in another five years the mnath just gets bigger.
Windows ultimate editions are ceretainly going to push you into having a $200 OS

lot of ifs and, and ifs, better known as wild speculations.
Perhaps we can revisit this once Windows 9 is an actual known quantity and the pricing (which is rumored to be either free or very inexpensive) and the potential upgrade paths ( which again, are rumored to perhaps extend to even XP users).

Without those facts in hand, then any and all of your very premature dissatisfaction with an OS that doesn't even exist yet is just sad and misguided and as far as I'm concerned, unnecessary and unwanted.

I am not judging windows 9, but I am pointing out one of the rumors and if true why it will bother me.
Just because I am the resident pro linux user doesnt mean I dont value other OS's I just have some concerns about them.
Windows 9 needs to be good, as windows 8 is so derided once again its like the vista situation or the ME situation.
So much hangs on windows 9, microsoft better tread lightly this round.

This article contains most of the recent info released about 9 although please remember this still not written in stone and things may change.

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta set for 30 September unveiling
Windows 9 and Windows Phone 9 will launch in 2015. And Windows 9 is getting back the Start menu
By Matt Egan | PC Advisor | 19 September 14

Windows_9.jpg

Microsoft has sent out invitations for an event on 30 September where it is expected to announce the Windows 9 beta as a 'technical preview'. Here's everything you need to know about the Windows 9 release date and new features including the return of the start menu and loss of the charms bar. Updated on 19/09/14.

It's fair to say that Windows 8 has not been a universal success. In many ways a necessary step not terribly well executed, Windows 8's attempt to stitch together desktop and mobile has been way too radical to encourage new users. And as the longer life of existing PCs and laptops combines with the growth of smartphones and tablets to continually slow PC sales, Window 8 has come to be seen as a dud. This means two things: expect a new and improved Windows in the fastest possible time, and expect it to be called 'Windows 9'. It's unlikely there will be a Windows 8.2, and there definitely won't be a Windows 8.3. (See also: Windows 9 rumours freeze corporate Windows 8 uptake.)

Here we outline what we know about the Windows 9 release date, based on Microsoft communications and credible rumours. We'll also take a look at our analysis of what we expect Windows 9 to cost, as well as listing the features we expect to see in Windows 9. We will of course update this piece as we know more.

Windows 9 release date
Until now (beginning of September), Microsoft has not mentioned Windows 9 by name but the image at the top of the article was posted by the firm's Chinese division on Weibo saying ""Microsoft’s latest OS Windows 9 is coming soon, do you think the start menu at the left bottom will make a come back?". It was quickly removed but cnBeta managed to grab it.

We expect Windows 9 to launch in PCs, laptops, tablets and phones that you can buy in April 2015 but Microsoft is likely to show it off - to some extent - on 30 September as it has now sent out invites to an event where it will outline 'what's next for Winodws and the enterprise'. Microsoft will reportedly show off a 'Windows Technical Preview' and we expect that availability for the Windows 9 beta will be announced.

Window_9_September_event_invite.png

A leaked document, obtained my Myce.com, shows some interesting details about Windows 9, including the 'fact' that the Preview version is scheduled for release between "Q2-Q3 2015". This means the official launch is unlikely to be in April 2015 as previously thought. The Q2-Q3 window is huge, of course, and the Preview could therefore appear any time between April and September 2015. It's possible there will be Christmas 2015 launch to consumers and, given that everything never goes to plan with a new Windows launch, we wouldn't be surprised if you can't buy a new laptop, PC or tablet with Windows 9 until then.

The document has a section detailing 'update items' which include changes to the Metro UI (Microsoft still calls the modern UI Metro internally, apparently), Windows Defender, OneDrive and improved Windows activation. There's also a mention of Cortana, Windows Phone 8.1′s personal assistant, which could mean it's coming to Windows 9.

Windows 9 leaked videos
Before we even get to 30 September, videos supposedly showing Windows 9 have been leaked online. They show a unified Notification Center, demonstrate multi-desktop and the start menu. Watch the videos below but bear in mind that things could change by the time the final version arrives.

See article for video's.

Windows 9: No Charms bar
Winbeta claims that in Windows 9, Microsoft will do away with the Charms bar – that menu which pops in from the right with buttons like search, share, start and settings. However, the site is talking about Windows 9 on the desktop as the feature will remain as it is on tablets.

If you're wondering what the new regime will be, Winbeta said: "One method that we heard about that stands out is having a button up near the window controls that once pressed, would reveal the Search, Share, Devices and Settings charms from the top of the window (there's no need for a Start Button for desktop users in the charms.)"

charms_bar_windows_9.png

"Another idea Microsoft have been toying with is removing the Charms completely. While it's possible, we're not entirely sure how that would work," it added.

Windows 9: Start menu returns
As we explain below we are certain that the new Windows update known as 'Threshold' will grow up to be Windows 9. And we expect Windows 9 to launch at some stage in early 2015, probably April 2015. This week we have seen what its claimed are leaked screenshots of Windows 9. Just to confuse things, these shots are labelled 'Windows 8.1 Pro', but that is consistant with what we have been hearing about the Threshold build that will eventually become Windows 9.

In the past couple of weeks Windows-watchers at Myce.com and Neowin have shown off screenshots of the new Start menu in Windows 9. There's also a shot of the new Windows Store in Windows 9. Click the Windows 9 screenshots to view them at full size.

Windows 9 screenshots
windows_9_start_menu_myce_thumb.png

Windows_9_Start_Menu_Neowin_thumb.png

Windows_9_Store_thumb.png

Look to the lefthand side of the new Start menu in both Start menu shots and you can see a list of recently used apps and the option to select a list of 'All apps'. One interesting point to note is that 'All apps' appears to include both Desktop- and Metro apps. The key to Windows 9 is marrying up the two disparate elements of Windows 8 in a way that makes sense to consumers. This way Microsoft can satisfy both those users who miss the Start menu, and also make Metro apps more useful.

Microsoft hasn't lost its taste for uncomfortable compromise, however. Strong rumours suggest that the expanded Start menu will appear within a more 'Desktop' Start screen and in the Desktop for PC- and laptops users. But that the same, expanded, Start menu may take over the entire Start screen for tablets and other smaller touchscreen devices.

Now look over to the right for another symbol of the same movement. To the right of the apps list is an area with pinned Metro apps. So as now you can see from the Start screen live tiles for important apps such as weather, mail, news, and calendar. Just as now the new Windows 9 Start screen is customisable, it seems, but here you can also pin Desktop Windows software. On both sets of screenshots you can see icons for the Pictures and Documents folders, as well as what looks like a 'My PC' tile that gets you straight into the file system.

Windows Phone 9
Talking of Cortana, the document also mentions Windows Phone 9, which is tagged alongside Windows 9 for a Q2-Q3 Preview release. We're only just seeing new smartphones runningWindows Phone 8.1 - the first version to feature Cortana - but in a year's time Windows Phone 8 will be consigned to the history book. Let's just hope that existing hardware will be upgradeable and that owners don't end up in the same situation as Windows Phone 7 buyers did.

Windows 9

Based on Microsoft's Build 2014 developer conference, we've put together an article looking at the future of Windows - beyond even Windows 9.

Microsoft partners will be getting a pre-beta version of Windows Developer Preview 9 soon, we understand. Thus those partners will have seen the earliest version of Windows 9 before the Build conference this April.

We expect to see a single beta of Windows 9, which will likely appear in the summer of 2014. If everything goes perfectly it is possible that Microsoft will release a Release Candidate version at the end of August or the beginning of September 2014. That date could easily slip.

Once a RC is released, bugs will be collected and fixed for several months before the final code is released to manufacturers. On this basis, it makes sense to see a Preview version from April 2015 onwards. (See also: How to use Windows 8: 10 tips to get you started on Windows 8.)

Windows 9 price
There's no word on what Windows 9 will cost, but we can make an educated guess. We'll update this piece as we know more.

How to price Windows 9? This is the classic innovator's dilemna: Microsoft has existing products that make it a lot of money, but is building new and better products for which it cannot charge as much. The market has changed. Apple gives away the most recent version of OS X for free, and PC- and laptop makers are feeling the pinch as smartphones and tablets eat into their markets.

So how much will Windows 9 cost? Not a lot.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was free to consumers, although not to OEMs who purchase licences to put on PCs and laptops they sell. Even if customers have to pay to upgrade to Windows 9 they won't have to pay much. Just a few pounds.

Windows 9 features
We expect that Windows 9 will be 64-bit only, although we expected that for Windows 8 and we were wrong. A lot depends - as ever with Microsoft - on what OEMs want to build, and what Intel gives them with which to build.

One thing that Microsoft has to do is allow Windows Phone and Windows RT apps to run on both Windows Phone and Windows. Even Xbox apps should become cross compatible. You may also be able to pin Metro apps to the taskbar. Also expect to see Kinect-based 3D gestures to be enabled for laptops with 3D cameras - basically the ability to control your computer with gestures.

Microsoft's recent pronouncements suggest a full return of the Start menu and that Windows 8-style apps will be able to run on the desktop. Windows 9 will definitely be less traumatic a chance for desktop users.

One key - although less obvious - development is likely to be much improved power management. The rise of mobile devices has made battery life a key battle ground for Windows. Intel has done its part, massively improving power management with its latest generation of mobile processors. But the Windows software needs to keep pace, so expect Microsoft to make great claims for Windows 9's power management capabilities.
Reference:
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/new-prod...te-price-features-beta-uk-30-september-event/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back