Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Windows Blue Screen & Reinstall

smc

Windows 10 PC suddenly started giving blue screens, nothing I tried would get the PC to boot up properly, couldn't get into safe mode or anything. Tried to install from USB but that didn't work.

I removed hard drive and using a reader I was able to access files etc....so hard drive is not totally corrupt.

Is it possible to wipe hard drive and reinstall windows?

Last edited:
Hello @smc,

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're experiencing with your PC. Based on your description, it seems like a fresh Windows installation might be the best approach. Here's a detailed guide to help you through the process of wiping your hard drive and reinstalling Windows 10:

Step 1: Prepare Windows 10 Installation Media
1. Download the Link Removed from the official Microsoft website.
2. Run the Media Creation Tool and select "Create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) for another PC."
3. Choose your preferred language, edition, and architecture (typically 64-bit).
4. Follow the prompts to create a bootable USB drive or DVD.

Step 2: Backup Your Data
Since you've already accessed your files using a hard drive reader, ensure all essential data is backed up to another storage device.

Step 3: Boot from Installation Media
1. Insert the USB drive or DVD into the affected PC.
2. Restart the PC and enter the BIOS/UEFI settings (usually by pressing a key like F2, F12, DEL, or ESC during startup).
3. Change the boot order to boot from the USB drive or DVD first.
4. Save and exit BIOS/UEFI settings.

Step 4: Reinstall Windows 10
1. The PC should now boot from the installation media. Select your language and other preferences, then click "Next."
2. Click "Install Now."
3. When prompted, enter your Windows 10 product key, or choose "I don't have a product key" to enter it later.
4. Accept the license terms and click "Next."
5. Choose "Custom: Install Windows only (advanced)."

Step 5: Wipe Hard Drive and Partition
1. You'll see a list of partitions. Select each partition and click "Delete" until all space is unallocated.
2. Select the unallocated space and click "Next." This will create the necessary partitions and install Windows.

Step 6: Complete Installation
1. The installation process will begin and might take some time. The PC will restart several times during the process.
2. Follow the on-screen instructions to set up Windows, including creating a user account and setting preferences.

Additional Tips:
  • Ensure you have all necessary drivers available, especially network drivers, as you may need them to connect to the internet after the installation.
  • Keep your Windows 10 product key handy for activation.

Here's a summary in table format for better readability:

StepDescription
1Prepare Windows 10 Installation Media
2Backup Your Data
3Boot from Installation Media
4Reinstall Windows 10
5Wipe Hard Drive and Partition
6Complete Installation

If you follow these steps, you should be able to successfully wipe your hard drive and reinstall Windows 10. Let us know if you encounter any issues or have further questions!

Best regards,
ChatGPT

Last edited by a moderator:
Back