Windows 10 Windows Boot Manager

Chrispy

I'm running Windows 10 Home with all updates on my Dell XPS 13 9380
I'm trying to upgrade my SSD to accommodate large astrophotography files, from 512GB to 1TB.
I have tried both AOMEI Backupper and EaseUS to clone the NVMe drive, with the same result.
I cannot get the new SSD to boot, and Windows Disk Manager shows that the drive has not been made bootable, image attached.
In the BIOS I cannot get a list of drives to change the sequence, Windows Boot Manager is the only option?
I thought cloning made an exact copy of a drive?
How do I make the new SSD bootable?
Thank you!
Chris

I'm not a fan of cloning drives. I prefer the clean install, simply because, if there are issues on the drive however small are transferred to the new drive. A clean install is like buying a new car, it just works better starting out new.

I have tried both AOMEI Backupper and EaseUS to clone the NVMe drive, with the same result.
What result?

Disk Manager shows that the drive has not been made bootable, image attached.
What image?
Not so much bootable, but you have to go into the bios and change the boot order to boot from it first and make sure it has an OS on it to bootup.

I'm not a fan of cloning drives. I prefer the clean install, simply because, if there are issues on the drive however small are transferred to the new drive. A clean install is like buying a new car, it just works better starting out new.

What result?

What image?

Not so much bootable, but you have to go into the bios and change the boot order to boot from it first and make sure it has an OS on it to bootup.
Thank you for your response.
In the BIOS the only option Windows Boot Manager, no drives are displayed.
I attached an image of the Disk Management display of both SSDs, the old and the new.
The old one shows as Healthy(Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Basic Data Partition)
The new one shows as Healthy(Basic Data Partition)
How would I do a clean install if the SSD won't boot?
Thanks again,
Chris
DM.jpg

Windows unfortunately won't do that by default. It will detect any existing installs and use said detected boot partition. It's advisable to remove or disconnect any other drives if you don't want this to happen.

What result?

Disk Manager shows that the drive has not been made bootable, image attached.
What image?

That's a new one on me.....winRETOOLS. Is that some new form of an OEM repair image?

Does your disk manager still show the "winRETOOLS" partition?

Back
Top Bottom