Wilky

I all,
I have a problem on my Windows Vista that began afetr the purchase of an external Hard Disk Freecom.
A few days afetr the purchase I disconnected it while it was writing and, since that moment, every time I connect and disconnect it, the PC go to freeze mode for 5 minutes.
The same thing happen even if the hard disk is disconnected: every time I start windows it go to freeze a little after the password, and every time I connect and disconnect a usb device.
I have looked for the solution everywhere, updated windows, unistalled and installed the hard disk from the device manager but I solved the problem only when I restored a recent backup.
Yesterday the Hard disk was writing a backup while Vista was installing the updates; at the end of the proceure windows restarted automatically and the problem began again!!!
The Pc go to freeze when it starts, every time I connect or disconnect the hard disk, an usb earphone that has always worked switch on but there is no audio and I don't know how many others usb devices will have problems.
Has anyone an idea to solve this problem before I throw out of the window Vista or the the hard disk?
Thank you

Solution
It sounds like you're experiencing some challenging issues with your Windows Vista system after connecting an external hard disk. The freezing problem that occurs after connecting and disconnecting the hard disk or other USB devices could be related to various factors. Here are some steps you can try to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the freezing issues:

Troubleshooting Steps:​

1. Check Disk Health:
    • Run a diagnostic tool to check the health of your external hard disk. It's possible that the hard disk itself is causing conflicts with the system.
    []USB Ports and Devices:
    • Ensure that the USB ports on your computer are functioning correctly. Try connecting the external hard disk and other...
It sounds like you're experiencing some challenging issues with your Windows Vista system after connecting an external hard disk. The freezing problem that occurs after connecting and disconnecting the hard disk or other USB devices could be related to various factors. Here are some steps you can try to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the freezing issues:

Troubleshooting Steps:​

1. Check Disk Health:
    • Run a diagnostic tool to check the health of your external hard disk. It's possible that the hard disk itself is causing conflicts with the system.
    []USB Ports and Devices:
    • Ensure that the USB ports on your computer are functioning correctly. Try connecting the external hard disk and other devices to different USB ports.
    [
    ]Driver Updates:
    • Update the drivers for your USB ports and the external hard disk. Outdated or incompatible drivers can cause freezing issues.
    []Windows Updates:
    • Make sure your Windows Vista system is fully updated. Sometimes, system updates can resolve compatibility issues.
    [
    ]Power Settings:
    • Check your power settings to ensure that USB devices are not causing the system to freeze when connecting or disconnecting.
    []System Restore:
    • If you have a restore point that was created before the issues started, you can try restoring your system to that point.
    [
    ]Event Viewer:
    • Check the Event Viewer for any error messages or warnings that might provide more insight into what's causing the freezing.
  2. Startup Repair:
    • Run the Startup Repair tool to fix any issues with the Windows startup process.

Additional Suggestions:​

• External Disk Power Supply: If the external hard disk has its power supply, ensure it is connected and functioning properly.
      • USB Devices: Try connecting only essential USB devices to see if the freezing persists.
      These steps should help you diagnose and potentially fix the freezing issues you are facing. If the problem persists, you may need to seek further assistance or consider alternative solutions. Feel free to try these steps and let me know how they work for you!

Solution
Back