Windows could not retrieve information about the disks on this computer.

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Installation' started by dreaded34, Nov 22, 2011.

1. dreaded34

dreaded34 New Member

I am trying to upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit from Vista 64 bit. When I put in the Windows 7 installation disk into the DVD drive and click "Install Now", it goes to a full-screen setup page, which reads:
    - Setup is copying temporary files...
    - Setup is starting...
    - Then an error message pops up which states "Windows could not retrieve information about the disks on this computer."

I have tried the to start the Virtual Disk on my computer by going into Services and get the following error: "Windows could not start the virtual disk on Local Computer: Error 3 The system could not find the path specified.

Then I started playing around with the Vista Device Manager. I went to my hard drive and clicked on properties and then to the Volumes tab. No data was populated so I clicked the populate button and received the following error: "Volume information for this disk could not be found."

I have updated the disk drive to the most recent driver and still have the same error.

Any information or help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Trouble

Trouble Noob Whisperer

Hello and welcome to the forum.
    Try using the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and examine the report and see if it suggests some issues regarding the upgrade.
    You can save and zip a copy of the resultant report if you would like and we can take a look.
    Regards
    Randy

3. dreaded34

dreaded34 New Member

Thanks for the reply. I did just what you suggested and have attached the zip file. I did need to upraged to Service Pack 1 and have done so. According to the Upgrade Advisor I should be good to go outside of 8 programs that are not compatible with 7.Honestly, this is a machine I would like to wipe clean and start fresh with. I'm not even sure if that is an option because I can't get to the setup.Thanks in advance!Tim

Attached Files:

4. Medico

Medico Senior Member

Most have much better results going the Custom (Clean) install route versus the Upgrade route. If you do it this way a folder will be created in your route directory that includes the entire old OS. This allows you to open this folder to drag data to the new OS, but gives a much cleaner install. The Upgrade generally carries ALL problems with the old OS directly into the new OS. This becomes a dirty installation very quickly. Do yourself a favor and clean install Win 7. You will ultimately be glad you did.

1 person likes this.