Windows 7 Windows Live Mail .EML file date stamp

rsposto

I have just installed W7 RC and have encountered the following problem with (or feature of) Windows Live Mail. Sorry for the long post that I need to explain this.

My production setup is XP using Outlook Express as an IMAP client. With OE, I can drag email .EML files to Explorer folders, and these files retain the send/receive date of the email as the modify date stamp. I do this to archive emails, and to store relevant emails to explorer folders for individual projects. If I open the .EML file by double clicking in explorer, the modify date stamp is unaffected. Hence I have no problem syncing these files, or with knowing from the modify date stamp when the email was sent/received.

In W7 RC with Windows Live Mail, when dragging the email to an Explorer folder, the modify date stamp of the .EML file is the current system date/time rather than the send/receive date. Furthermore, simply the act of selecting (highlighting) a .EML file in Explorer (without opening it) will re-datestamp the file. (e.g., if I inadvertently highlight a .EML file from 5/1/2006, it will be changed to a file modified today, and hence will be flagged for backup etc.).

This behavior I think is definitely related to Windows Live Mail, because if I uninstall WLM the behavior stop, and if, instead of WLM, I use Thunderbird, which also uses the .EML format, I can select or open .EML files in explorer without affecting the date stamp. (I can't use Thunderbird, however, because it doesn't support drag and drop of .EML files at all).

Can this feature/behavior of WLM in W7 be turned off, as it is the only thing that is preventing me from switching to W7. I have never used Vista, and I wonder if this behavior also exists in Vista with WLM.

Thanks for any feedback

Back
Top Bottom