Windows 10 Windows Live Mail generates multiple messages with attachments

Howard Rippiner

Honorable Member
Having got my new 64-bit Windows 10 Pro system working almost 100%, one thing is 'bugging' me as I have been unable to fix it.

I use Windows Live mail as my mail client. It receives message OK and it send text-only emails OK. However, when I attach a file (photo,document of spreadsheet) it can generate up to 34 copies of the one message and at the recipient's end, the file is corrupt. I have tried using Windows Essential Repairs (which reports all is well after running it) and I have tried standard removal and re-installation of it - all to no avail.

How can I fix or remove it completely and do a clean re-install to get it to work correctly? Fortunately, I keep my emails on a separate drive, so linking them up again is easy - once it works correctly!

Hi Howard,
are you using the latest version of Live mail or the mail app which comes with Windows 10?

Hi Howard,
are you using the latest version of Live mail or the mail app which comes with Windows 10?
I'm using the Live Mail part of Windows Essentials 2012. I've tried both the version where you download the whole .exe file and install it off-line and the version where you just down-load the installer and it 'fetches' the application and installs it on-line. Both give the same result.

Where, on your system, is it generating the extra copies? I would suspect the problem may be there, or where you keep (as in your post) you keep your emails?
Perhaps you should start clean again. If it is important, make some hard copies of the email.
I have, on an external, a folder called "Mailbox". When I make a fresh install of an OS, in the "Mail" - "Advanced" tab - Maintenance, I point to this folder as the Store folder, default.
This picks up all my earlier mail and account setting automatically.
This is your choice but, with your problem, first uninstall totally Windows Live Mail. Then download a fresh installation, preferebly from the source (Download Windows Live Mail 2011 from Official Microsoft Download Center).

I am sure, that ,if you then, as I have suggested, create a new folder somewhere on your system, and point to it, your problem will be gone. If so, you will probably have to examine previously received mail to see where the culprit is.

Where, on your system, is it generating the extra copies? I would suspect the problem may be there, or where you keep (as in your post) you keep your emails?
Perhaps you should start clean again. If it is important, make some hard copies of the email.
I have, on an external, a folder called "Mailbox". When I make a fresh install of an OS, in the "Mail" - "Advanced" tab - Maintenance, I point to this folder as the Store folder, default.
This picks up all my earlier mail and account setting automatically.
This is your choice but, with your problem, first uninstall totally Windows Live Mail. Then download a fresh installation, preferebly from the source (Download Windows Live Mail 2011 from Official Microsoft Download Center).

I am sure, that ,if you then, as I have suggested, create a new folder somewhere on your system, and point to it, your problem will be gone. If so, you will probably have to examine previously received mail to see where the culprit is.

Hi davehc. many thanks for the suggestions. I have removed / re-installed Windows Live mail previously, but this didn't fix the problem. However, previously, I didn't re-generate the folder where my messages are stored. This time I created a new folder on my D: drive, re-installed Windows Live Mail and it cure the problem. Of course, the re-install also generated a new MessageSTORE for my emails. I keep important email in Storage Folders, but not the less-important ones. How can I merge (or at least look at) messages in the old MessageSTORE? Is there another file associated with it that needs to be 'involved' to read them? If I created a second account, could I set that up to view the old messages?

My 'IN' box currently only contains messages that were still on my ISPs server (i.e. They were downloaded again - from the past 30 days) I hope you'll have some suggestions on how I can access the older ones that are not in storage folders. Thanks again for your help.

Sorry for the delay. Some domestic issues.

I don't know what your setup is, but the logical way would be to "import" the mail from your original folder. Import sits under the Live Mail "File" tab.

Sorry for the delay. Some domestic issues.

I don't know what your setup is, but the logical way would be to "import" the mail from your original folder. Import sits under the Live Mail "File" tab.
I've found all the older 'IN' box messages I was looking for and have now added them to the new ones downloaded from my ISPs server. I seem to have cured the problem with multiple messages being generated. Long may it continue! Thanks for your help davehc.

Back
Top Bottom