Windows 7 Windows Media Center Blacked Out My Screen

martin1223

I got my computer six months ago and never bothered with Windows Media Center.
In order to see TV on my computer, I needed a TV tuner. Since I am a member with Netflix and Microsoft promoted Netflix working on the Center, I tried to use it without the tuner and just play media from my hard drive and Netflix but it did not work. The Netflix rep. said they had issues with it working with their software. In addition, the Microsoft tech. said I needed the tuner for it to work at all. Six months later, I get an email from Microsoft suggesting uninstalling software I do not use to improve the PC’s performance. Therefore, I decided to get rid of Windows Media Center never using it. However, I wanted to try it again and see if it could work now. To my surprise, it worked beautifully organizing the media from my hard drive and Netflix worked on it. I had to download software to get it working and I do not know what I downloaded but it seemed to work. Then, suddenly the screen went black with the white curser from my mouse the only thing I could see. I tried to reboot a minute later and I was able to log on but instead of going to the desktop, a black screen reappeared. I shut the computer down and waited 20 minutes before turning it on. After I logged in, Windows 7 opened to the desktop. Are there any issues with Windows Media Center and, can I operate it without a TV tuner or should I uninstall it since I do not plan to get the TV tuner? Are there any suggestions?

The following is my system’s configuration:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name CINDY
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Inspiron 580
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz, 3067 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A06, 7/6/2010
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name CINDY\dell
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.80 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.23 GB
Total Virtual Memory 7.61 GB
Available Virtual Memory 5.29 GB
Page File Space 3.80 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

I don't know about your video situation, except you probably loaded a driver or utility that is causing the problem. But to get Netflix to work, and I cannot complete because I do not have a subscription, open Windows Media Center and you may have to go through the setup.

Scroll down to "Movies" and to the left of that you should be able to see the Netflix icon. Scroll to it and see if that works.

You should not need a tuner. But, as I said, I cannot test the actual download.

Back