Windows 8 Windows Media Center help needed.

brkkab

Excellent Member
Next month I'm ditching Bright House Cable before Comcast take's it over. I currently have AT&T U-verse for my internet connection and am going to be adding their U-verse tv. My question is if the U-verse tv will work in Windows 8.1 Pro Update 3 x64's Windows Media Center ?

You might want to contact AT&T U-verse and see what they have to say about it.....AFAIK...your ISP shouldn't have an effect on whether or not your WMC works or not, whether it's using standard coax cable, telephone cable, ethernet cable or fiber optics. All you should have to do is re-scan through WMC through your new TV box from AT&T.

**SOLVED** I'm not going with AT&T U-verse for tv after all. They want $468.00 just to install it. Sorry, but I'm not crazy, nor was I born yesterday. DirecTV is being installed on Wednesday for well under $100.00.

I had DirectTV and loved it. I never used it with WMC...I did use TWC...just make sure you hook the box up to your computer and then rerun the channel scan. With my TWC connection I had I had a fast enough connection that I could use a splitter on the TWC modem to the coax jax on my TV tuner card, reran channel scan and bam...I had cable TV on my PC. (It also had a remote)

Oh....you'll need a TV tuner card as well.

I rewired my pc on Friday. Decluttered the cables hooked to the back,etc. Now tomorrow, I just need to unhook the Bright House cable going to my surge suppressor and rewire my splitter that goes to the back of my pc for it's tv tuner. I'm not going to let the DirecTV tech mess with the splitter I have going to my tuner. I'll do that after he leaves. The way I had it before with Bright House my tv and pc used the same line. I had the tv using hdmi and the tuner on my pc using the regular cable lines. It worked fine. My pc's tv tuner is dual and has 2 different cable hookups. It doesn't have hdmi on the tuner itself. I've got a 2 different splitter's I use. I only let DirecTV mess with it if I receive 2 different boxes. I only think I get the free box that has the dvr, etc, though. Definely better price than AT&T by far. The AT&T was going to be $468.** for install and $92.** monthly. The DirecTV is only $35.** monthly for 1st year and $68.** total for install and 1st month's service. Much better deal. Plus I don't have to worry about the cable service going downhill when Comcast takes over BrightHouse in the coming year.

You should get up to 5 boxes, one for every room and that includes the one DVR box. That's the way it used to be.

Ah, I guess I'm only needing the dvr and one box then. Everyone else here is on their own . They can pay their own way entertainment wise . The situation is weird here and I'm the only nice one . I guess it's time for me to change a little bit . I'm the one footing the satellite and internet bill . In a month or two , I'm going to be blocking some of the device's off of my internet with WhoIsOnMYWifi .

For the blocking....just change your SSID and password....then hide the SSID in your routers web based page and then never give out that information.....easy peasy!!!!!

I could do that. I may have a little fun first and use the WhoIsOnMyWifi to occasionally kick them off and blame it on AT&T having service issues.

Got the DirecTV working in WMC. Can't get WMC to find it's ir to scan for channels. I just removed all the channels from Bright House, except channel 4 which DirecTV uses for tv tuner's in pc's. Weird part is if I change the channel either on the DirecTV dvr hooked to my hdtv or the non-dvr DirecTV box connected to my pc the channel switches to the same one on the other device. Weird, but I can live with it. Now I just have to get used to the different channel numbers compared to what they are with Bright House. ***PS** DirecTV works with tv tuner's, but you need a rc to analog cable convertor. They cost about $15.00 according to the DirecTV tech who installed my service. I made it sound like I was cancelling my installation over the issue and got one from the installer, as a Christmas gift.

Back