Windows 7 Windows Media Player 12 - Audio Problems

Neo7

I've been using the 7260 version for a week now and suddenly WMP12 won't play any audio. I have not installed anything to my knowledge that could have affected this. I haven't intalled any codecs or anything like that. Does anyone have any idea what may have happened and how I can remedy this? I have since installed a k-lite codec pack to see if it would fix it but no change. Hope I haven't complicated the problem further.

Hello Neo7,

Sorry for all the questions, but........
In order to troubleshoot your problem we need to know more detailed specs of your system hardware.

1. Go to Start > Run, and type msinfo32, look under the Components section for hardware identification
2. Go to Control Panel > Device Manager and look for any entry that has a yellow flag beside it
3. The manufacturer name and model number of your PC, if applicable
4 Please fill out your computers specs in the User Control Panel here on the site as well. It will then appear next to your name. look at my posting and you'll see the drop-down arrow.

Are you using the 32-bit or 64-bit version?
Was it a "clean" install or an upgrade?
Are you dual-booting?
Do you recall installing any software that may have caused the problem?
Will it play any format?
Do you receive any error message, if so please post the exact error message.
Have you tried Video Lan Player, the final release is now available.
|MG| VLC media player 1.0.0 Final Download

Thanks for replying reghakr. Upon further investigation it seems only to be having trouble with .mpg files. I'm running Windows 7 build 7260 x86, dual booting with XP x86. I have been running W7 for about a week without this issue appearing.
I have VLC, but I was curious as to why media player was playing up. Msinfo32 shows no devices with problems, nor does device manager. I should probably get over it, but I just like to know things are operating as they should be. As I stated before, I don't think I have installed anything that would cause this problem, in fact I've never come across this before in any version of Windows. :confused:

Try going to Control Panel > Default Programs, select Windows Media Player and see if it has all 53 defaults.

If not, select Choose Defaults for this program and verify the .mpg extension is checked.

Thanks reghakr. That's done the trick. I MUST have done something to it.

You're awe-diddly-awesome.

Thanks. :D

I seem to have an similar problem. And i would really appreciate an repaly to my problem.

MY SYSTEM:
2 WD VelociRaptor® 300GB SATA 10000RPM, 16MB, 3 GB/s - I RAID 0
2 Western Digitial Caviar® Green 2TB SATA2, 7200RPM, 32MB, 300 Mb/s
1 Corsair HX 1000W PSU ATX 12V V2.2, 80 Plus, Modular, 6x 6+2-pin PCIe, 1
1 Cooler Master HAF 932 Big Tower Sort Vifter: 1x 230mm Front, 1x 230mm Topp, 1x 230mm Si
1 Intel Core? i7 Quad Processor i7-920 4,8GT/sec, 8MB, Boxed
1 ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, X58, Socket-1366 DDR3, ATX, SLI&CrossFireX, Firewire, 2xGbLAN, 3xPC
1 Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 CPU Fan Socket 1366, 19,8 dBA
1 Arctic Alumina Termisk Pasta 1.7 Gram Gram
1 Sony NEC Optiarc DVD±RW burner AD-7243S LabelFlash, Multirecorder(Ram), DVDRW 24x, SATA, B
1 USB2 multikortleser 3.5" sort for CF I/II,MMC,RS MMC,MMC Plus,SD,SDHC,miniSD,microSD
1 Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate NO OEM, 64bit
1 Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333MHz 12GB CL9 Kit w/6x 2GB XMS3 modules, CL9-9-9-24, for Core i7
1 Logitech G15 gaming tastatur USB, Norsk Layout
1 ASUS Radeon HD 4890 1GB GDDR5 PCI-Express 2.0, 2xDVI-I, HDMI, HDCP

Windows: 6.6.7600
64 bit
clean install
no dual booting

Maybe MY problem happened after installing: "Replay Capture Suit"e from Applian Technologies Inc., but I am NOTsure. It was after this install i got aware of the problem, anyway. But I hadnt use the WMP mouch before this.

THE PROBLEM:
I have .m2ts files (HD) from my HD Camcorder saved to harddisk. With my old XP-pc I couldnt preview these files in Explorer. And everything had to be done through Pinnacle Studio, but after installing a new PC with win 7 x64 I can now se pictures where there earlier was only icons for every .m2t-file and preview them. Wich is really nice!

In the preview window the file plays fine!!, with sound and video running, BUT when I try to start the same file in WMP 12, or doubleclick on it (which makes it start in WMP too) the sound is only noice???

The files plays nice in Pinnacle, and in Windows Movie Maker.
The WMP 12 play most (all) other files ok.

I have been to the ""Control Panel > Default Programs, select Windows Media Player and there is 52! defaults - It wont let me change anything - all grey, and says: "it has all the defaults""

I have tried to Control-panel -> Select Windows Program -> deselected WMP 12, rebooted, and took it back in again, same result.

No problems in Device Manager.

Only thing I THINK (not sure) I notice is that when i try open WMP it opens first the Library-window and THEN opens the player-windows in very small size. And I cant remember if it did this like this earlier. So I have this strange feeling some wrong version or smt. is opened when WMP 12 is activated now.

I say the previous since I read this from another user in the "sevenforums":

"What I have noticed is that when I double-click an AVI file in Explorer, it opens using the 32-Bit Windows Media Player, but when opened in the Preview Pane, then the file opens in the 64-Bit Windows Media Player. I'm going to try using REGEDIT to fix this, but until then, does anyone else perhaps have a solution to force AVI file to open with 64-Bit WMP?"¨

This users remark is the closest I have come so far to an soultion; maybe when I open WMP it opens a "wrong" type of WMP (32 / 64 bit problem??), but when the files are played as an prewiev in Explorer it seems to get it right.

One more thing: when I deactivated WMP earlier the preview window in explorer also stopped working. But I think I read somewhere that the program that makes the preview is not the same as WMP? But clearly those are linked, or the very same function.

I sincere thanks to all who help me with answers :)

I seem to have the same problem as Tigern -THE PROBLEM:
I have .m2ts files (HD) from my HD Camcorder saved to harddisk. With my old XP-pc I couldnt preview these files in Explorer. And everything had to be done through Pinnacle Studio, but after installing a new PC with win 7 x64 I can now se pictures where there earlier was only icons for every .m2t-file and preview them. Wich is really nice!

In the preview window the file plays fine!!, with sound and video running, BUT when I try to start the same file in WMP 12, or doubleclick on it (which makes it start in WMP too) the sound is only noice???
, I have a dell XPS16 with windows 7 ultimate 64 bit, can anyone help me with this problem.
Regards stu17

Yes stu17 This is Exactly the same problem as I have. I still havent found any solutions to it though,sorry about that, but since as I can preview in explorer and play and edit in pinnacle it works well enough for me. So I dont bother to do more work with finding an solution to this now. Though it is a bit annoying since almost EVERYthing else om my system works just fine :)

Thanks for getting back to me on this, I will try for a while to resolve this and if i do will let you know how to fix.
Cheers

Hi I am new to this forum as I have just purchase a new ASUS I7 laptop running Win7 x64.
I have many video files .m2ts recorded from my Panasonic Tz7 camera which do not play properly in WMP12 (video is ok but sound is just noise). I have updated/installed PhotofunStudio 6.0 (latest version for my tz7) and can play the files via PfS 6.0 ok.

Should WMP12 under Win7 x64 play .m2ts files correctly please ?
Is this something Microsoft should support ?

many thanks
Chris

Back