Windows 7 Windows Media Player 12 problems

El Barto

'Ello,

I have a big problem with Windows Media Player 12 in Windows 7 RC that basically makes it unsable for music.

When I opened it up for the first time it had to index all my music files which makes sence and worked fine for a little while before I closed it then reopened it some time later and it had to reindex it all again, it's had to do it several times. Almost every time I close then reopen it and quite often it'll index it all once then go over and index it all again so I end up with two copies of each song listed.

I'm not sure if this is part of the problem but I download quite a lot of Podcasts through iTunes and when WMP12 does it's indexing it indexes all the podcasts as well which I don't want it to do but I understand why it does as they're in My Music folder and don't mind going around and deleting them from my library but I just thought I'd add it in as it might be helpful. Also all my music is stored on my D:\ drive, I'm running the Windows 7 RC x64 version that's avalible to the public on the Microsoft website and pretty much all my music collection is in mp3 format.

I really hope someone can help me with this as I like WMP as my main music player and at the moment am having to resort to using iTunes, which I think has a horrible interface and is slow, I just generally don't like iTunes I use it just for the podcasts normally.

Thank you in advance, El Barto.

Hey El Barto,

I've also experienced something similar to this in the past but perhaps not to the extent that you are having.

What worked for me the last time this happened is to clear the library and start from scratch.

While in WMP12 press the "Alt" key, under the "Tools" > "Advanced" select "Restore Media Library..."
This will empty your library. Just exit WMP and launch it again to reload your library from scratch.

Im gonna go with a guess that your library is somehow currupt and each time you open WMP it try's to reimport everything somehow creating duplicates

Let me Know if this works

Hey El Barto,

I've also experienced something similar to this in the past but perhaps not to the extent that you are having.

What worked for me the last time this happened is to clear the library and start from scratch.

While in WMP12 press the \"Alt\" key, under the \"Tools\" > \"Advanced\" select \"Restore Media Library...\"
This will empty your library. Just exit WMP and launch it again to reload your library from scratch.

Im gonna go with a guess that your library is somehow currupt and each time you open WMP it try's to reimport everything somehow creating duplicates

Let me Know if this works

'Ello,

Sorry for taking so long to reply but I was ill for about a week then I forgot about this altogether, just thought I'd reply as I've got it fixed now. I remembered I have the problem before with Windows Vista when I first got it and did a search on Google for "Windows Media Player Forgets," and found a post on this forum giving the solution, I've added the link below for anyone else who might need it. Also I did try the Restoring Library thing before posting here and it had no effect :(.

I did do a search on here and Google before posting this but didn't manage to find the solution then, think I must have used different search terms then.

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/1809-windows-media-player-12-a.html

Thank you for the reply :).

I have the same issue, but mine also loses file location as well as doubling the files. It will play files 1 or 2 times then it tells me it's wrong file type, and my files drop 1 by 1. I have reinstalled windows 7 clean and only added 12 videos and 12 audio files, and anti virous and it still does this. Did you ever find a fix for this? I have sent error reports to microsoft and a description of what it's doing, I hope they find a fix.!.!

Back