Windows media player help

Kevin34

Hi
Whenever I try to play this movie file that I bought from the Microsoft store. I get windows media player encountered a problem while playing the file. There is no error code. can anyone tell me how to fix this ? Thank you

Hi Kevin,
this is not really a fix but a suggestion. Have you tried using VLC? It carries all the codecs and if you open the store you'll find something called VLC for windows 8 (it's actually been upgraded for windows 10)
VLC for Windows Store - Microsoft Store

Hmm.. is it possible that the copy has become corrupted or didn't download properly? Can you download it again?

Hey Kevin,
would you mind posting what it is your trying to watch or the file format that it's running in.

Hi Kemical sorry it Took me so long to get back to you.
ImageUploadedByWindowsForum1440524695.479768.jpg
ImageUploadedByWindowsForum1440524722.899853.jpg
ImageUploadedByWindowsForum1440524752.053566.jpg
ImageUploadedByWindowsForum1440524764.988418.jpg

Hey Kevin,
I checked out the trailer and it doesn't look half bad. Do other films/videos play ok or is just this one film which won't play?
Right click on the start menu icon and hit admin command prompt. Type or copy and paste:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results. Scan takes some time so please be patient. If the scan isn't successful try this in the same admin command prompt:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.
If the above two scans are successful try the film again. If not then please post:

What are your drivers like?

What security apps are you running?

Hi Kemical I did what you told me to it did not work. I called Microsoft that came onto the computer. And they couldn't figure out why they will not play on vlc for windows store play window media player. But for some reason it will play with movies and TV player. So Microsoft is going to have one of the developers look in to see why won't play with the other players and Just movies and TV player. They told me someone will get back to me on the 28th thank you for all your help on this

Wow!.. I hope they fix it and please do let us know how you get on. Good luck!

Hi Kemical I forgot to tell you. I on security program that I know of is running on my Computer is Mcafee Live safe Internet security. do you think that could be causing the problem? I have tried to find a way but I couldn't to disable it to see if that was it .

Hmm I guess anything is possible.. Did you mention this to Microsoft?

Hi Kemical no Microsoft was on my Computer so I think they what have seen it and mention it to me but they did not. What do you think? Thank you

Hi Kemical The Microsoft support technician called me back he come on to my Computer and he could not figure out. He thinks when you buy a movie or tv shows from the Microsoft store you can play with the movie and TV player. But they will look into it further and call me back on Monday

Sorry to hear that Kevin and I can only hope they sort this out quickly. It's a bit odd selling movies that refuse to play!

Kevin just as an after thought try this, open another admin command prompt and type (or copy and paste)
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and again wait for results (longer this time so please be patient)
Good luck!

Also check the picture you posted in post #9. Look at the bottom photo and you can see a panel. Written near the bottom is the words 'This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer', next to it is a checkbox to unblock it. Try that too as you just never know..

Back