Windows 8.1 Windows Movie maker

Peterr

Fantastic Member
Hello
I would like to compress my videos and was told Win Movie maker would do this. I have been trying but I don't see any place, under any tabs where compression is mentioned.
Does anyone know about video compression because when I burn my files to DVD they take up a lot of room.
Thank you
Pete
P.S. Any other programs would be fine, too.

Which version?
Windows Movie Maker 6.0 which is for Vista,
or,
Windows Live Movie Maker which is for Win 7.

There is a Compress option in 6.0 version.
There isn't one that I know of in the Live version.

since i have win 7 version installed in my laptop, i am using the win live movie maker for a while with no issue yet in forming good videos and clips along with other relevant stuffs to it

Windows Live Movie Maker does not come with Win 7.
It comes with Windows Live Essentials which is not part of Win 7.

Windows Movie Maker 6.0, (originally designed for Vista and it is the best of the 2 ), can be downloaded and installed as a standalone program in Win 7, Win 8 and Win 8.1

Last edited:
Hello
I usually am polite enough to give sufficient information when posting - sorry.

I have Windows 8.1 and do have Windows Essentials.

The attachment shows the Movie Maker and I tried clicking help to see about for information as to its origin.
Perhaps a file has to be uploaded for the compression option to be visible, otherwise I do not see it no matter which tab I click.

I was told Free Movie is a good choice but don't know. Have you heard of it.

Attachments

• Movie maker.png
    Movie maker.png
    88.4 KB · Views: 15,464
Hello
I usually am polite enough to give sufficient information when posting - sorry.

I have Windows 8.1 and do have Windows Essentials.

The attachment shows the Movie Maker and I tried clicking help to see about for information as to its origin.
Perhaps a file has to be uploaded for the compression option to be visible, otherwise I do not see it no matter which tab I click.

I was told Free Movie is a good choice but don't know. Have you heard of it.

You have Windows Live Movie Maker.

Here how Windows Movie Maker 6.0 looks like.....
W Movie Maker.png

Here is the Compress option in 6.0 version
Compress.png

Question :
You said .....when I burn my files to DVD they take up a lot of room.

As long as your DVD can handle it, why do you care?

I went to File>about and saw that I have the year 2012 and build 16.4..... which is what comes with Win 8.1 x 64 and Windows Live Essentials updated.
I have just learned that I have Windows Live Movie Maker which was included in the Windows Essentials download along with Photo gallery etc. I notice that messenger has been moved to Skype.
After watching a couple of YouTube tutorials of this program I am content to use it.
Thank you for your help
Peter

Last edited:
You missed the first sentence of my 3rd reply.............I wrote : You have Windows Live Movie Maker.

No, you do not need to uninstall your Windows Live Movie Maker.
You can have both in the same machine. ( I have both in my Win 8.1 Pro 64-bit ).
As far as "compression" goes, it is really not a good idea. The result of severe compression would distort the quality of the video.
Which is also the reason I asked why would you want to do that. It's not necessary in my opinion.
But then, I am not a fanatic in movie making and such. I rarely make videos.

By the way, in case you do not know......
If you make a video using Movie Maker, and then burn it to a DVD, you can ONLY play it in your computer.
It won't play in another computer or any DVD players.

What you need is a DVD Maker.
Unfortunately Win 8 and 8.1 do not have Windows DVD Maker which is great for Win 7. That is what I used to burn a DVD.

You will need a 3rd party DVD Maker which I refrain from recommending because.....
1. I am not big in movie "stuff", not enough experience to recommend.
2. I do not want getting blamed for spamming.

Last edited:
Thank you for your information. I did 'miss' your comment about having the program -sorry.
I use a burner to make my dvds and did notice that the disc cannot be played other than on the pc. It does work on my daughter's pc as I always make copies for her. My grandchildren have fun laughing at that chubby bald old man!
I wonder if that can be converted to a universal format even as finished, not raw medium, but that is for another day, I am content with the information I have now.

You missed the first sentence of my 3rd reply.............I wrote : You have Windows Live Movie Maker.

No, you do not need to uninstall your Windows Live Movie Maker.
You can have both in the same machine. ( I have both in my Win 8.1 Pro 64-bit ).
As far as "compression" goes, it is really not a good idea. The result of severe compression would distort the quality of the video.
Which is also the reason I asked why would you want to do that. It's not necessary in my opinion.
But then, I am not a fanatic in movie making and such. I rarely make videos.

Hi, I upgraded to windows 8.1 and im not even sure why I did it?! Because now my windows movie maker isn't working, the one for vista. Windows live movie maker is working and I used to have both on windows 8. Wondering if you could help me get windows movie maker back. Where did you get yours from as I don't have it any more. Thanks

Back