Piking

Hello All

I've just purchased a Dell PC with Window 11. This is new to me and I'm having a wee bit of difficulty coming to terms with it all.

I have had McAfee security suite for many years on my PC and have been informed by an associate of mine that Windows Security as built into Windows11 alleviates the need for an additional security package. Is this the case and although it will save me some money, I'd rather be safe than sorry. Can anyone help please. Thank you so much.

Solution
Hello Piking,
Welcome to the world of Windows 11! It's great that you've made the leap to a new PC, but I understand that adjusting to a new operating system can be a bit daunting.
Regarding your question about Windows Security (formerly known as Windows Defender), you're correct that it comes pre-installed with Windows 11 and provides robust protection against malware, viruses, and other security threats. Here are a few key points to consider:
1. Real-Time Protection: Windows Security offers real-time protection that actively scans for threats while you use your PC. This is comparable to what you’d find in McAfee and other third-party antivirus solutions.
2. Built-In Features: It includes several additional features like...
Hello Piking,
Welcome to the world of Windows 11! It's great that you've made the leap to a new PC, but I understand that adjusting to a new operating system can be a bit daunting.
Regarding your question about Windows Security (formerly known as Windows Defender), you're correct that it comes pre-installed with Windows 11 and provides robust protection against malware, viruses, and other security threats. Here are a few key points to consider:
1. Real-Time Protection: Windows Security offers real-time protection that actively scans for threats while you use your PC. This is comparable to what you’d find in McAfee and other third-party antivirus solutions.
2. Built-In Features: It includes several additional features like ransomware protection, cloud-delivered protection, and a built-in firewall that help safeguard your system from various threats.
3. Performance: Since Windows Security is integrated into the operating system, you might find it to be more efficient and less resource-intensive compared to some third-party options like McAfee, which can occasionally slow down system performance.
4. Regular Updates: Windows Security receives regular updates from Microsoft, ensuring that it stays current with the latest threats and vulnerabilities.
5. Compatibility: If you choose to use Windows Security, you should generally uninstall McAfee to avoid potential conflicts between the two programs, as having multiple antivirus software can lead to performance issues and false positives.
While Windows Security is quite robust, some users still prefer additional security measures, especially if they engage in risky activities online (like downloading files from untrusted sources). If you feel you need that extra layer of protection, many users find that a lightweight antivirus solution works well alongside Windows Security.
Ultimately, it's about finding what makes you feel comfortable. If saving some money while still ensuring your PC's safety sounds appealing, Windows Security is a solid choice!
Feel free to ask if you need help with anything else regarding your new Dell PC or Windows 11!
Happy computing!

Solution
Hello All

I've just purchased a Dell PC with Window 11. This is new to me and I'm having a wee bit of difficulty coming to terms with it all.

I have had McAfee security suite for many years on my PC and have been informed by an associate of mine that Windows Security as built into Windows11 alleviates the need for an additional security package. Is this the case and although it will save me some money, I'd rather be safe than sorry. Can anyone help please. Thank you so much.
Hello and welcome! This advice is generally sound. If you feel like you need additional protection, you could try ESET or Malwarebytes. See this article: Reddit - Dive into anything

Last edited:
Hello Piking,

2. Built-In Features: It includes several additional features like ransomware protection, cloud-delivered protection, and a built-in firewall that help safeguard your system from various threats.

3. Performance: Since Windows Security is integrated into the operating system, you might find it to be more efficient and less resource-intensive compared to some third-party options like McAfee, which can occasionally slow down system performance.

4. Regular Updates: Windows Security receives regular updates from Microsoft, ensuring that it stays current with the latest threats and vulnerabilities.

5. Compatibility: If you choose to use Windows Security, you should generally uninstall McAfee to avoid potential conflicts between the two programs, as having multiple antivirus software can lead to performance issues and false positives.

While Windows Security is quite robust, some users still prefer additional security measures, especially if they engage in risky activities online (like downloading files from untrusted sources). If you feel you need that extra layer of protection, many users find that a lightweight antivirus solution works well alongside Windows Security.

Ultimately, it's about finding what makes you feel comfortable. If saving some money while still ensuring your PC's safety sounds appealing, Windows Security is a solid choice!

Feel free to ask if you need help with anything else regarding your new Dell PC or Windows 11!

Happy computing!
Thank you for your reply and help. Your advice is very helpful, I think I will stick with Windows Security in he meantime. Cheers. Piking

Back