Windows 8 Windows Store Not Working

Dead Words

I understand that there are other threads regarding this issue, but I've not found one regarding my problem specifically. I have the Toshiba Satellite C55, and have only owned this laptop for a few months. At time of purchase, Windows Store worked fine, and I even downloaded several apps such as Netflix and YouTube. However, within a week both the Store and Netflix stopped working. I noticed Netflix first but upon uninstalling it I realized the Store had stopped as well. Every time I try to connect, this message comes up: "We weren't able to connect to the store. This might have happened because of a server problem or the network connection timed out. Please wait a few minutes and try again. (0x80070005)". I've tried every solution I've found in the forums, such as resetting my date and time, clearing my cache, rebooting the programs. I've run troubleshooters and researched my Webroot Antivirus. Nothing has made any notable change. I'd really appreciate help on this as this is obviously a long running issue that Microsoft has not resolved. I am far from the only one with this issue and I'm hoping someone has figured it out. Oh, additionally, I've already updated to Windows 8.1, but this problem started long before the update and the update did nothing to fix the store.

Last edited:
Are still using an MS account or local?. Try logging out and in again a couple of times with the local account. If an MS account, log in to https://login.live.com and ensure your account is still up to date.

On a temporary attempt, create a new account and log in. See if you can then access the store.
Only other, more drastic, measure I can think of is a complete refresh.

The obvious: You have checked that your OS is still activated. For various reasons, it can become inactivated. I presume the Windows 8 installation came with the computer. Sorry for the intrusion, but was this a retail or private purchase? Things can be doubtful with the latter. I guess, also, you installed Windows 8.1 with one of the known bypass methods, as you did not have access to the store? It may well have carried the original fault over.

How did you reset the cache? If not, in the "run" box, type wsreset.exe. There should be some action for a very short while, after which you can try the store once again.

Thank you, I will attempt the various solutions above. This was a retail sale. I bought the laptop brand new at Best Buy, and Toshiba Corporation provided the Windows 8.1 update automatically. I am signed into my Microsoft Account, but I will create a temporary account to see if there is any change. Could you please specify the location of the "Run" box? Your answer has raised another question. By saying that updating to 8.1 by a bypass method (directly from Toshiba Co.), you implied that I carried the fault over to the new version. This implies that Windows 8.1 did in fact fix or at least improve issues with the store? Also, it has been several weeks if not months since I cleared the cache, but I followed the instructions exactly by one of the Microsoft supporters in another thread. If I recall correctly, I had to dive deep into the settings of Internet Explorer.

Last edited:
Is it a possibility, even if vague, that the store will not connect because I do not have a card or form of currency inputted? This does not really make sense to me, but I have seen stranger things. Could the store possibly disconnect because I do not have a credit/debit card logged into my Microsoft account?

Back