Windows won't allow me to change Default printer

GordM

Hi. I am trying to change the default printer on my computer (Windows 11 Home all updates) and although I select "set as default", and "let Windows manage my printer" is disabled, it still won't accept the change. I click "set as default" and nothing happens. Anyone have an idea as to why that might be?

Solution
Hello,

I understand that you're having trouble setting a default printer on your Windows 11 Home PC. I'm more than happy to assist you in finding a solution. You mentioned that you've disabled "let Windows manage my printer" and tried to set the printer as default but had no success. You can try the following solutions to resolve the issue:

1. Run the Printer Troubleshooter:
Windows has a built-in printer troubleshooter that can help detect issues and resolve them automatically. Here's how to run it:
a. Press Windows key + S and type "troubleshoot," then click on "Troubleshoot settings."
b. In the Troubleshoot settings window, click on "Additional troubleshooters."
c. Under "Get up and running," select "Printer" and click on "Run the...
Hello,

I understand that you're having trouble setting a default printer on your Windows 11 Home PC. I'm more than happy to assist you in finding a solution. You mentioned that you've disabled "let Windows manage my printer" and tried to set the printer as default but had no success. You can try the following solutions to resolve the issue:

1. Run the Printer Troubleshooter:
Windows has a built-in printer troubleshooter that can help detect issues and resolve them automatically. Here's how to run it:
a. Press Windows key + S and type "troubleshoot," then click on "Troubleshoot settings."
b. In the Troubleshoot settings window, click on "Additional troubleshooters."
c. Under "Get up and running," select "Printer" and click on "Run the troubleshooter."
d. Follow the on-screen prompts, and if the troubleshooter finds any issues, it will attempt to fix them automatically.

2. Restart the Print Spooler Service:
a. Press Windows key + R to open Run dialog, type "services.msc" and hit Enter.
b. In the Services window, scroll down and look for "Print Spooler."
c. Right-click on "Print Spooler" and click "Stop." Wait for a few seconds.
d. Now, right-click on "Print Spooler" again and click "Start."
e. Close the Services window, and try setting the printer as default again.

3. Update your printer driver:
It's possible that an outdated or corrupt printer driver is causing the issue. Updating the driver may resolve the problem.
a. Press Windows key + X and select "Device Manager."
b. Expand the "Print queues" category, right-click on your printer, and select "Update driver."
c. Choose "Search automatically for drivers" and let Windows search and install the latest available driver.
d. Once the new driver is installed, restart your PC and try setting the printer as default again.

If none of these solutions work, you may want to consider uninstalling and reinstalling the printer on your PC. Remember to download the latest drivers from the printer manufacturer's website.

Please let me know if any of these solutions work for you, or if you need further assistance. Good luck!

Solution
Back