Windows 7 Winhlp32

\Windows\WinHlp32.exe is a stub - Try this ...

Winhelp32.exe is installed on Windows 7 although is wasn't on Vista.

If a box opens and says it cannot locate it, browse to the C:\windows directory and choose winhlp32.exe.

The winhlp32.exe in the \Windows directory is only a stub - it is not capable of displaying .hlp files. This stub is what displays the "Why can't I get Help from this program?" message.

I've used the following method (from Opening old .hlp help files under Windows 7? )
Don't wait for Microsoft, they've stated it'll be available with the Windows 7 RTM / Windows Server 2008 R2. How can I evaluate Windows 7 RC without being able to view HLP files?! So I made my own compilation for both Windows 7 x64 and Windows 7 x86. The installer is a batch (CMD) file, which does the job of winhlp32.exe/winhlp32.exe.mui replacement and fixing Registry entries.

Windows Help Program (WinHlp32) installer for Windows 7 x64 and Windows 7 x86 by Komeil Bahmanpour:

Blog entry

Direct download link

WinHlp32 installer for Vista/2008/7

Alternatively, you can try http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-discussion/3801-winhlp32.html#post18015

PBCOPTER,

Your post looked promising, but I cannot find a windows\en-us folder in my installed Vista partition. Where might that be?

Steve

Nope. Just plain US English. I don't recall having seen that folder name before, except possibly on an install disc.

Thank you komeil - that is very useful - discovered you had made that a while ago and have been recommending it on various Forums.:)

Back