problems with microsoft fix for missing winhlp32.exe in Windows 7 64-bit

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by mich, Feb 6, 2012.

1. mich

mich New Member

Hi,

I am trying to access old Windows .hlp files. I am currently running Windows 7, and when I try to open them I get the following error message:

Cannot display this help file. Try opening the help file again, and if you still get this message, copy the help file to a different drive, and try again

So, I looked around for a fix, and came across this website from microsoft
    I cannot open Help that was created in the Windows Help format (WinHlp32.exe)

I followed the steps, downloaded winhlp32.exe
    with the following file Windows6.1-KB917607-x64.msu,
    because I am running 64-bit windows. Then, I installed it.
    But, when I try to open the .hlp file, I get the same error message.

If someone has any idea how I can proceed, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

All the best,
    Bob

2. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

Right now the only thing I could suggest is to see if you can right click it and open it in some type of compatibility mode.

Or set winhlp32.exe to run in a compatibility mode.

You may even need the run as Admin option.

3. mich

mich New Member

Thanks for your message, Saltgrass.

When I right-click the help file, and choose "Open With", windows recommends to open it with Microsoft Help (with a yellow question mark). But, when I open it that way, I get the same error message.

I also went into the folder C:\Windows and found winhlp32.exe
    I right clicked it and ran it as admin, but I still got the same error message when I tried to open the help file.

I also right-clicked winhlp32.exe and tried to select Properties - compatibility mode, but it said "Campatibility modes cannot be set on this program because it is part of this version of windows."

I also right-clicked the help file and selected properties, but there was no option to run in compatibility mode.

4. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

So, after you went through the Genuine test you downloaded the installer. Did the installer put the file in the Windows directory? Did you download the x64 version, and I assume you did.

There are other scenarios concerning problems opening the .hlp files that mention macros, and internet sites, and others. Do any of those fit your situation?

I show a winhlp32.exe in my Windows folder and did not do any downloads. Is that the one you think was installed? Maybe check the date on it..