Windows 7 Winmail stopped, cannot set up mail accounts in any program

pilu

Hi, first of all I'd like to introduce my self on the forum, hope will find lots of good stuff and knowlegeble people that will help.
I have HPG62 with 4GB, and Pentium T4500, win7 Home Premium SP1 64Bit,
using standard windows firewall and Avira free antivirus.
Since mid december 2016 my winmail stopped downloading and sending emails from my two accounts : microsoft live com & polish poczta.fm.But it shows online status with my live com. Tried several time to change settings and set up accounts from scratch again with no results (connection to server error appears),. Want to add that I have no issue with logging in through IE web pages. It means there is no issue of password. I tried both IMAP and POP3 set up for both accounts. Yesterday I tried also setting up mozilla thunderbird and freeware popcorn just to check wheather it is not just winmail issue. Again no results, Tried it all with Avira shut down as well as with firewall disabled. In Avira settings I have removed option of checking emails just to make sure this is not the cause and added mozilla into inbound and outbound rules in firewalls. Added also IMAP and SMTP ports from my mail suppliers into allowed TCP ports in firewall. Last thing I tried to set up third account gmail com thinking that previous two might have been an issue but gmail also was not able to set up. All settings on my mobile phone lumia 650 are the same and working perfectly. please help do not know what else to do.

error msgs from mozilla: please check password and username
winmail :
Unable to send or receive messages for the Live account.
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x8DE00005
Unable to send or receive messages for the Poczta (pilu) account. Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity.

Server: 'poczta.fm'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F
Protocol: POP3
Port: 110
Secure(SSL): Yes

Hi,
Have you tried using the built-in SYSTEM RESTORE utility in Win7 to "rollback" you computer to a point in time before your E-mail stopped working?

Have you scanned your computer for viruses with Avira? Have you scanned your computer for Spyware viruses with MALWAREBYTES from piriform.com yet? If not; do both and scan/remove all found viruses and spyware viruses. Retest your Winmail. If it works; you had a virus that attacked your E-mail app (Winmail), and you are good to go! :up:

If neither of these solutions worked, you need to backup all your Personal Data to external media before proceeding further in order to prevent irretrievable data loss!!

Next, take a look at my excellent TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE I wrote available here: Windows 10 - Unclickable Task Bar

The 2 most common causes of app failures in E-mail on an 8-year old laptop are #1: virus/malware attack, and #2: Hardware Failure of RAM sticks or Hard Drive. You need to test your Hardware first, or pay a Tech to do for you, and then apply various advanced software repairs described in my GUIDE.

Post back if you get stuck or have any questions. We are here 24x7x365.

Best of luck,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Some more thoughts, in addition to what our friend BBJ replied:

From a certain date Microsoft has changed its mail servers. From that date you should login using Microsoft Exchange type of account for all Microsoft e-mail accounts (Hotmail.com / Live.com / Outlook.com). Furthermore old versions of the Windows Live Mail client/app and old versions of the Outlook client/app won't work. Outlook as included in Office 2010 and higher will work. I even doubt whether Windows Live Mail client works at all.
But, as I see it, using a Gmail account logging into a Gmail server should work, whatever e-mail client (Windows Live Mail, Thunderbird) you use.

To determine if it is a problem of your current Windows account or that it is hiding somewhere deeper, you could add a new user account onto your netbook and set up an email account there.

And if you have another computer or laptop at hand (not a tablet or smartphone) is it working on that?

Keep up informed,
And a warm welcome to this forum!!

Last edited:
Good idea, Henk!:D

I'd like to add that WLM *Windows Live Mail* all versions do not work correctly in W10; but most of them (WLM 20009-2013) still work reasonably well on W7 and even W8x. As long as you stay on either of these, you should be able to get it to work. I would check for viruses and possible hardware component failures which are much more likely to be the REAL cause of your Email dilemma; especially when hard drives are only known to last a maximum of 3 years in desktop PCs and only 2 years in laptops/tablets. If you've never replaced your hard drive in the that HP G62 with this issue, or paid a Tech to do it for you; there is probably a 90% chance that your hard drive has failed or is failing.:eek: Hardware testing is indicated; usually after a virus scan/removal as I mentioned.

Best,:wave:
<<<BBJ>>>

Back