Windows 10 Winpeshl.exe Issue.

JJREZ

Hello, I am in desperate need of help for my HP Pavilion desktop. I recently shut down my computer for the night and when I went to boot it the next day, all I was given was a loop of the loading screen.

The HP logo will appear, then the screen will go black. After that a window with the title "winpeshl.exe" will flash for a split second and lead to a screen of "Restoring your previous version of windows.." then it will just cut to the HP logo and repeat.

Is there anyway to fix this or restore my data?
Is this the work of a virus?
I am open to any way of resolving this issue.
Here is a video of:

I would try to boot into safe mode, if that works look in C:\Windows\Minidump and upload those files for troubleshooting. If safe mode doesn't work then you may want to try and boot into the recovery mode and run chkdsk ./f /r C: and sfc /scannow.

A failed Windows update is far more likly... did you get any message when you shut the system down?

anyway follow the steps Neemobeer posted first

Screenshot (90).png

Safe mode would require me to use F8, right?
I've tried that but could not get into safe mode, I've been able to use F9-11 though.
I'm also a bit lost on what you mean when you got to the chkdsk stuff

If fast boot is enabled F8 won't work anymore. You can get to safe mode by shutting the computer off during the boot process 3 times.

If you can get into safe mode, open a command prompt and type chkdsk /f /r C: reboot and let the chkdsk run, if there are any problems on the disk it may be able to repair them.

Is it possible to turn fast boot off? I tried shutting the computer off three times, but that hasn't helped.

I used the cmd prompt for chkdsk and it came up with nothing wrong with my computer.
When I tried the sfc prompt it said " Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service"
I have been able to get into my recovery mode, but there isn't an option for safe mode in my troubleshooting section.

I have recently restarted my computer and am now receiving this image on startup, replacing the loop.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 1,866
Seen this error a lot on W10 systems. It's usually bad; sometimes it can be repaired with repair procedures in Command Prompt as mentioned above by neemo. More likely it's a virus/malware infection, or Windows system file/registry corruption, or a coincidental hardware failure. If you want further help troubleshooting your problem, we need to at least have basic information about your computer such as: What is the Make/Model? Is it a desktop PC or a laptop or table? Is it an OEM computer (Dell, Acer, HP, Toshiba, etc.)? Is it a self-built PC or a custom-built PC? If so, we need complete hardware specs including Make/Model of Motherboard, GPU Card, RAM Memory sticks, and PSU (Power Supply) Make/Model/Wattage.

Also, and a lot of people get this screen if they have an external storage device such as an external usb hard drive or flash drive plugged into the USB port. Often, when a Windows update comes in and hangs the computer and you attempt Recovery Mode repairs via Advanced Options, the buss will hang and you'll be stuck in a boot-loop with the same error message over and over again. Unplug all drives both internal (connected to SATA, eSATA, IDE, EIDE, SCSI, ports on your Motherboard etc.) and reboot. Also, devices like printers, webcams, trackballs, drawing tablet pads, etc. if they are on USB, disconnect them if you haven't already done so, reboot and retest. This will often fix it, and your W10 will magically come back as if self-healed! :up:

If it doesn't you have more serious problems with your Windows (virus/malware needs to be scanned/removed completely), or Windows corruption due to failed update, etc.; or more likely is a failed hardware component. :waah: This requires hardware testing to resolve. Did your computer/laptop/tablet come with W10 pre-loaded from the factory when you opened the box, or did you recently upgrade from an earlier version of Windows such as Win7, Win8, Win8.1, Win8.1.1?

Here's the link to the post I wrote for both hardware testing and software troubleshooting repairs:
Windows 10 - Unclickable Task Bar
Pay particular attention to my POST NO. 6 in this thread.

Please provide answers to our questions so we may advise you further.
Best of luck,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

am now receiving this image on startup
thats progress & the error is that windows went to where it thinks your boot files should be and did not find them, bad Microsoft upgrade, hardware fail and virrus (in that order) are the most common causes.

how comfortable are you about opening up your laptop? because you can sometimes get lucky but in most cases you will at least need to unplug hardware and I would personally be replacing the hdd at this point and reinstalling windows on a fresh hdd... I very much doubt this hdd is beyond saving but you still need to recover the files of it once your system is back up and going.

HP Support document - HP Support Center
In response for the specs, this page has all the information on my desktop.
I also include a pic of the specs from the stick on my desktop below.
And I can confirm that this was installed with Windows 8 out of the box, and I had only upgraded to 10 a couple of months ago with no issues like this.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 809
from 8 to 10 would need to upgrade to 8.1 first and just this month was the new anniversary upgrade... thats plently of room for bugs to creep in... I would put a fresh hdd and install 10 on it, the key isn't needed.

thats progress & the error is that windows went to where it thinks your boot files should be and did not find them, bad Microsoft upgrade, hardware fail and virrus (in that order) are the most common causes.

how comfortable are you about opening up your laptop? because you can sometimes get lucky but in most cases you will at least need to unplug hardware and I would personally be replacing the hdd at this point and reinstalling windows on a fresh hdd... I very much doubt this hdd is beyond saving but you still need to recover the files of it once your system is back up and going.

>>>Norway: Check Post #1; OP has said it's a desktop PC: HP Pavilion p6-2317c and posted a subsequent link to the HP specs page...<<<
BBJ

Hi JJREZ,
Thanks for getting your specs back to us. Did you try reading through the troubleshooting link I provided you in POST #10 yet? With a problem like this, and the other fellows here mention it, there is a very high probability you won't be able to fix this problem, but rather have to do a reinstall of 8/8.1 and upgrade to 10 again, or perform a W10 Clean Install. :waah: Either way, before you attempt to fix it, you need to get all your Personal Data off of that hard drive. I mention procedures to do this, but if you don't get that data yourself, you need to take it to your local licensed Computer Pro and pay him to do it. While he's got your PC, he can probably give you an estimate of how much he would charge you to fix the whole PC and get W10 backup and running, restoring your Data (but not necessarily all your installed programs). If your hardware is Ok and you have no failures you should be able to get that done for under $100 US. Bad Hard Drive and/or RAM memory sticks could kick this up to $160-$260 US or so. Data Recovery should be somewhere between $35-$95 US depending on whether the hard drive tests ok or not (my link shows you how to test this yourself). I would probably charge $40-$45 for the Data Recovery to give you a comparison.;)

Since we know what kind of computer you have, are suggestions can be more precise. If it were my computer, I'd pay to have the Data Recovery done (under $100), and try my troubleshooting links to fix it myself and save a really big repair bill. It will probably take you 1-3 weeks as you sound somewhat experienced. :headache: Complete novices, quite a bit longer. Once you can test your hardware and find it's Ok, and or replace any faulty components found, this is really quite an easy repair to do; as long as you are willing to go the Clean Install route, which I agree with. W10 repairs are probably not going to fix your particular BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) problem. :noway:

If you follow my suggestion, I'd take that Hard Drive out, buy another new one on Amazon, ebay, or Newegg.com for around $80 and run the Clean Install of W10. Take your original Hard Drive to your local Computer Pro pay him the $100 to get your Data Recovery done and burned onto DVD discs or a new external USB drive ($50-$80) or so. Once your W10 is up and going on the new Hard Drive, you have 2 tasks to complete; first, install all the Web updates from Adobe & Java, then install all programs from disc media or download sites via the Internet such as MS Office365, etc. Once that's done and you can connect to the Internet and get these key updates in, install your AV (Antivirus) program or IS (Internet Security Suite) such as Norton, Avast, McAfee, TrendMicro, etc. Final step is to copy over all your Personal Data from the DVDs or external usb hard drive your Computer Pro backed up your stuff to onto the newly installed W10 with new hard drive. Your AV will automatically scan and block and detect any viruses that may have been contained in your original W10 setup!! :up: This will prevent reinfection of your newly built W10 on the new hard drive. This is how I do it; you can do it any way you want of course. If you follow my suggestions you can get this machine going again without throwing it out the window into oncoming traffic! :up:;):bigtongue:

Let us know how it goes, and don't be afraid to ask more questions. We are here 24x7x365.

Best of luck,:encouragement:
BBJ

Hello, I am in desperate need of help for my HP Pavilion desktop. I recently shut down my computer for the night and when I went to boot it the next day, all I was given was a loop of the loading screen.

The HP logo will appear, then the screen will go black. After that a window with the title "winpeshl.exe" will flash for a split second and lead to a screen of "Restoring your previous version of windows.." then it will just cut to the HP logo and repeat.

Is there anyway to fix this or restore my data?
I am open to any way of resolving this issue.
Here is a video of:

Actually I have something different my PC is saying "Press 'Restart', which can sometime fix the problem. But when I click reboot it moves into bsod. Last night when I my PC I'm surprised is "User profile cannot be load"

Back