Windows 10 Woops, Folders Issue with "This PC" pane

PaulyD0051

I was trying to move my Music, Videos and Pictures folders to the D: drive instead of keeping it on the C: (SSD) drive.

Unfortunately when doing so I created this monstrosity and I can not seem to undo this mess:

PC System.jpg

How do I fix said issue to remove those D:/ links and actually move my Music, Videos and Pictures folders to the D: drive.

How did you add them there, did you use a tweak tool?

You'll need to remove the key with the corresponding CLSID from here
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace in the registry

Then simply move the directories you want to some location on D:\
Then create a directory junction from an elevated command prompt

Example for videos directory
mklink /J "C:\Users\<username>\Videos" "D:\Somedirectory\Videos"

This way Windows will still see it as it should be C:\Users\<username>\Videos but the data will be on the D drive

How did you add them there, did you use a tweak tool?

You'll need to remove the key with the corresponding CLSID from here
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace in the registry

Then simply move the directories you want to some location on D:\
Then create a directory junction from an elevated command prompt

Example for videos directory
mklink /J "C:\Users\<username>\Videos" "D:\Somedirectory\Videos"

This way Windows will still see it as it should be C:\Users\<username>\Videos but the data will be on the D drive

No, no tweak tool, I just used Windows "properties" and the "move" function and thought that would work.

Perhaps making a new user profile:
- Make a new user account, log in there and copy any thing of value over.
- If, after some time, you are really sure that everything is over and working you can remove that old crippled account and re-enter it.

This is what I was referring to with mklink
mklink.PNG

Back