Windows 7 Would you pay extra for 32-bit XP mode to run on top of 64-bit W7?

Archangel

Honorable Member
Would you pay extra for 32-bit XP mode to run on top of 64-bit W7?

Why or why not? Just starting a random discussion... Maybe if we get enough feedback, they could include something useful like this in Windows 8?

But the 32 bit XP mode runs in a virtual pc on Windows 7 64 bit for free now.

Are you sure? I tried to install it myself but it said, "The file is not a valid .MSI archive. Please install the correct Virtual Machine for your software environment."

Is it working for anyone else? Maybe a fix? I'm still running RC 7100 and the RTM of XP mode.

I used 'Windows6.1-KB958559-x64.msu' and then followed up with 'WindowsXPMode_en-us.exe'. Installed just fine on W7 RTM 64-bit. To be honest I find Virtualbox in Seamless mode a lot quicker and more responsive than XP mode.

Are you sure? I tried to install it myself but it said, \"The file is not a valid .MSI archive. Please install the correct Virtual Machine for your software environment.\"

Is it working for anyone else? Maybe a fix? I'm still running RC 7100 and the RTM of XP mode.

I had issues myself trying ti install MS Virtual PC 2007 which is different from the XP mode. Go to this page and download both http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

The advantage of XP mode

Is it runs seamlessly(well sort of). You don't have to start the virtual machine first as you just click on the shortcut or menu and the program executes. The XP mode is great for compatability of programs and a virtual machine is great for other OSes.

Back