Windows 7 XP to Windows 7 Upgrade

Ed Dixon

If I'm reading things correctly, there will be no direct path to upgrade to Windows 7 from an existing XP system. Is this correct?

Clearly new PCs will have Win7. Many Vista users may not follow the upgrade path, as their systems are fairly new to begin with. However it's the large bulk of existing XP users that seem the largest target.

Ed

I believe this will effectively eliminate a fair percentage of possible upgrade customers. Many XP users have long since lost their install CDs, or even know truly what they have installed and from what source.

Vista made the top ten list of the worlds biggest tech failures in the last decade (www.time.com). This may well elevate Win7 to the same status.

I realize the "built on..." platform part. However I expect the minds there could have figured out something, if that had been their goal. What I see a lot from MS is just continued arragonance.

Ed

I agree that progress is a good thing and that OS Life Cycle is a real issue. However I'm running Win7 now and it seems lackluster at best. Its noticable slower than XP (on the same hardware), has less support for hardware, and doesnt seem to offer much that couldnt have been purchased separately.

Maybe some useful features will bubble up, but so far has been a yawner that at least didnt have the "god I hate that" impression that so many got with Vista.

Vista was awful from day 1, and many many beta testers told them that. They choose to release a lemon anyway.

Ed

For the time being I probably will. However I'm in the software business and have to test on all platforms, which can be a pain...

Ed

Why did MS choose to release Vista? Simple answer here...can you ssay "WinMeeeeee". Vista was simple put a way to replenish the cash cow. Win98 was great, Win XP was great, WinMe...another story. I am running Win7RC and like it. Cheers and beers to all!

Communication

Drew, thank you for your reply. I am somewhat of a novice. I meant no disrespect at all. I re-read my post and noted a typo. My intent of the post was that I am really enthused about Windows7 and am currently running Win7RC. I was trying to imply that i had never switched from XP to Vista as I did not see the point in doing so at the time and remembered the pain with Windows Me. I had gone to a friends' house to assist him with a problem and he had Vista installed. I was completely unfamiliar with the Vista OS and was just thoroughly confused. I am eagerly awaiting Windows 7 final release. I will do a complete clean install. I've already backed up what I need to on my external HDD. I am running Win7RC on my laptop as well. Great is the best word that i have at the present time for Win7RC. On a side note; I have tried Linux and am not thrilled at all. Lot's of MS bashing has been going around in the last couple of years of which i feel is undeserved. My 2 cents. Cheers and Beers. This is a great forum and thank you to all who run and contribute to the forum.:)

Drew, I do understand your comments and it’s clear you have a lot more time with Win7 that I. What I have commented on thus far has been the initial experience (based on a few days), which has been lackluster at best. I do have an open mind and am always willing to consider new things. So far, Win7 (as someone else already said) looks a bit like Vista SP2. Its support for hardware is weak and it appears noticeably slower.

I do like IE8, but that technology is mostly already available in XP as well. The start menu and taskbar do work somewhat differently, but those are really minor issues. I am running Win7 as my main OS for the moment to see how it goes.

So far stability has been worse than in XP. Many times IE8 goes frozen for 10-15 seconds. It comes back, but I don’t see that in XP for the same web sites.

So far about 1/3 of the apps I have installed don’t work correctly in Win7 as opposed to XP. If that trend continues, then the biggest expense (beyond time) for any upgrade users will be buying software updates for products that no longer work in Win7 (assuming they can even find the CDs to reinstall).

I believe that MS makes a lot of their $ for Windows licensing for new PCs and through sales of primary product lines like Office. Perhaps someone here (who has some real data) can comment on typical MS yearly revenue percentages for new PC licensing vs OS upgrade licensing. I expect these percentages change for the 1st year of a new OS and the following 2-5 years.

If MS was good at listening, they would have never released Vista the way it was. They had buckets of comments from qualified professionals and beta testers from around the world that they were building a dog. They just pressed ahead. Clearly looking back, they now have figured out they screwed up and are fixing some of the things in Win7.

Ed

Drew, I do understand your comments and it’s clear you have a lot more time with Win7 that I. What I have commented on thus far has been the initial experience (based on a few days), which has been lackluster at best. I do have an open mind and am always willing to consider new things. So far, Win7 (as someone else already said) looks a bit like Vista SP2. Its support for hardware is weak and it appears noticeably slower.

I do like IE8, but that technology is mostly already available in XP as well. The start menu and taskbar do work somewhat differently, but those are really minor issues. I am running Win7 as my main OS for the moment to see how it goes.

So far stability has been worse than in XP. Many times IE8 goes frozen for 10-15 seconds. It comes back, but I don’t see that in XP for the same web sites.

So far about 1/3 of the apps I have installed don’t work correctly in Win7 as opposed to XP. If that trend continues, then the biggest expense (beyond time) for any upgrade users will be buying software updates for products that no longer work in Win7 (assuming they can even find the CDs to reinstall).

I believe that MS makes a lot of their $ for Windows licensing for new PCs and through sales of primary product lines like Office. Perhaps someone here (who has some real data) can comment on typical MS yearly revenue percentages for new PC licensing vs OS upgrade licensing. I expect these percentages change for the 1st year of a new OS and the following 2-5 years.

If MS was good at listening, they would have never released Vista the way it was. They had buckets of comments from qualified professionals and beta testers from around the world that they were building a dog. They just pressed ahead. Clearly looking back, they now have figured out they screwed up and are fixing some of the things in Win7.

Ed

Hello and Welcome to the Forum! :)

I'm sorry to hear that your not having a very good experience with Windows 7.. It truly is a gem of an OS.. ;) The 'problems' you describe are certainly a result of poor drivers or lack thereof and most likely software/hardware incompatibilities and not from Windows 7 being directly at fault..

I have the Windows 7 RC (Build 7100) (both the 32-bit and 64-bit flavors) running on all 5 of my home pc's and not one of them has had any major issues at all.. A couple of them had a few hiccups but they were such small problems that they didn't interfere with the overall OS experience at all.. ;)

I hope you have better luck with the Final Version of Windows 7.. I still use Windows XP and Windows Vista as well as Ubuntu and a couple other Linux Distros but I have to say Windows 7 has definitely become my primary OS... I find XP older and older each time I use it.. Vista is still a decent OS in my opinion (if you have the hardware to run it that is).. But like I said Windows 7 has been a long time coming and I'm glad Microsoft hasn't completely fu*ked it over like they have to previous versions of Windows in the past..

If you are still having issues please don't hesitate to ask for help, we're all glad to help out on this forum.. :)

I agree with Radenight. Win7 RC was a nightmare, but after a day of installing drivers, it is faster, more compatible, and more reliable than my XP.

Also, someone (I forget who) posted a thread detailing a method to perform a clean install from an Upgrade disc. I would imagine this is the only way to "upgrade" to 7 from XP, and that is what I plan on doing. I'm not sure if you were already planning on doing this, but I thought I'd suggest it just in case.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_upgrade_clean.asp

I agree with Radenight. Win7 RC was a nightmare, but after a day of installing drivers, it is faster, more compatible, and more reliable than my XP.

Also, someone (I forget who) posted a thread detailing a method to perform a clean install from an Upgrade disc. I would imagine this is the only way to \"upgrade\" to 7 from XP, and that is what I plan on doing. I'm not sure if you were already planning on doing this, but I thought I'd suggest it just in case.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_upgrade_clean.asp

That was actually me that posted that 'trick'.. ;) Here's the thread:
http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-discussion/8123-info-regarding-upgrade-media.html

And it's not Upgrading from anything.. remember if you use this trick the first thing you do is a clean install.. meaning whatever OS you have on your system will be erased during the clean install.. So no matter what you have on prior to installing Win 7 (be it XP, Vista, Win 2000, or even a brand new empty HDD) using the Upgrade disc will work because like I said your going to do a clean install first than Upgrade that clean install.. ;)

ok, mabey I need more coffee............ I am running Win7 RC 7100. I have my old XP disk (in fact I have 3 oem's). I totally got rid of XP off my computer. I also dont need or want XP compatably mode. Never had Vista and never will, since I dont need it.

I am going to purchase, (probably 3 copies):
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade - Operating Systems

Will I need to put in my XP disk to run the RTM? The cute little trick seems to be more for the Vista crowd. Does it also apply to XP owners?

I understand I will need to do a clean install, I guess..... wish I could just upgrade from the RC to the RTM. Life would be good.

Thanks

BIllD

Will I need to put in my XP disk to run the RTM? The cute little trick seems to be more for the Vista crowd. Does it also apply to XP owners?

I understand I will need to do a clean install, I guess..... wish I could just upgrade from the RC to the RTM. Life would be good.

Thanks

BIllD

It will work with 7 (so says microsoft) so I would imagine you wouldn't have to fool with XP

I was wondering, though. My hard drive is partitioned with XP and 7 RC. If I clean install over 7 RC, it won't do anything to XP, right? only 7 RC?

In theory - you are not supposed to keep using the qualifying version of Windows as well as the upgrade version 7 - that is why it is cheaper.

How they can make that work in practice - I have no idea.

I think MS have given up on trying to enforce that part of the EULA.

They must have because they have provided ways to clean install from upgrade license - it is impossible to prevent you using the original o/s as well.

I hope I'm still to the point but won't xp users be upset to learn that the summer discount of only 49.99 for windows 7 home premium upgrade cannot be used on an xp machine. I'm confused. I've already purchased the upgrade windows 7 and have the xp disk. From what I've read I cannot upgrade? (Only vista os's)

Reportedly, you will able to use the upgrade media for a clean install, by inserting your XP install disc during the install.

Back
Top Bottom