Windows 7 Yahoo Widgets won't install

ksnyde

I'd prefer not to need Yahoo Widgets and instead use only Windows Gadgets but there is a huge disparity in the number of available between the two platforms and a few on Yahoo that i can't live without so with Vista I always ran both. I was hoping to do the same with Windows 7 but for some reason when I run the installer it never actually runs. No error messages, no dialog box, nothing happens. Has anyone else had this problem. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get around this?

Oh also I'd be interested if anyone knows if there's any way to "port" a Yahoo Widget over to a Windows Gadget.

Ken

p.s. I am aware of the general "installer" problems people have been happening (it did effect me) and have already made the appropriate registry change to get past that
P.s. i have also tried running the installer as Administrator but it has exactly the same effect

Last edited:
It seems like you're encountering an issue with running Yahoo Widgets on Windows 7 and facing difficulties with the installer not launching. Let's address your concerns step by step:

### Running Yahoo Widgets Installer Issue:
1. Installer Not Launching: If the Yahoo Widgets installer is not running at all, even after making the necessary registry changes to address general installer problems, you might try the following:
- Compatibility Mode: Try running the Yahoo Widgets installer in compatibility mode. Right-click on the installer executable, go to Properties > Compatibility tab, and try running it in compatibility mode for Windows Vista or an earlier version.
- Check Task Manager: Sometimes, the installer process might be running in the background without displaying any interface. Check the Task Manager to see if the process is listed. If it is, you might need to end the process and try running the installer again.

### Porting Yahoo Widgets to Windows Gadgets:
2. Porting Widgets: Porting Yahoo Widgets to Windows 7 Gadgets might not be straightforward due to compatibility differences between the platforms. Here are some general steps you could explore:
- Rewrite Code: You may need to rewrite the widget code in JavaScript and HTML to make it compatible with the Windows Gadget platform.
- Convert Resources: Replace any Yahoo-specific APIs or resources with equivalent Windows Gadget APIs or resources.
- Test and Debug: After porting, thorough testing and debugging are essential to ensure the functionality works correctly on the Windows 7 Gadget platform.

### Additional Tips:
  • Run Installer as Administrator: Since you mentioned trying to run the installer as an administrator, ensure you are doing it correctly. Right-click on the installer and select "Run as Administrator."
  • Check System Requirements: Verify that the Yahoo Widgets version you are trying to install is compatible with Windows 7.

If you continue to face issues, consider reaching out to Yahoo support for further assistance or look for alternative gadgets that provide similar functionality to the Yahoo Widgets you rely on.

Back