Windows 8 Yes, instructions DO exist!

I get really frustrated w/ people saying or thinking there is nothing in Windows 8.1, from Microsoft, telling them, educating them or guiding them w/ enlightenment or instructions on How To use the OS. There is!! Yes, there is!
There problem isn't that it doesn't exist but, rather that people don't look @ it.
In (ALL) Applications, on that screen or even on Start there is an icon or Tile w/ a Question Mark (?) on it and the words Help & Tips. Go find it & take a gander... It looks like this...
Screenshot (10).JPG

Oh and BTW, the scroll wheel on a mouse will scroll (Metro) screens horizontally. Up to go Right & Down to go Left.

Cheers,
Drew
290_Windows8_1.jpg

I think all W8 PCs and laptops (even tablets) come with an instruction manual. My ASUS 10 incher has one pinned on the taskbar. Just never opened it till now. :)

asusmanualwin8.gif
asusmanualwin8.jpg
asusmanualwin8b.jpg

Yep, most, if not all, certainly do. Or just add another item to the list of why I like & recommend ASUS machines.

I have been telling people for years, they can learn lots, discover lots, have heaps of answers in the HELP section of the OS. Maybe, some Folks, just don't know what HELP means in the context of computers. Maybe they reckon it's something you hit w/ you're drowning or the house is on fire.

Cheers,
Drew
290_Windows8_1.jpg

Actually I have seen a few 8.1 setups without decent instructions some even sub par, my fathers laptop certainly did not have a full manual in the OS, just a partial one.
It did its job yes but not as good of a job as it should have, but I blame HP for that one.
Luckily I knew enough to guide my father, though he still rather use his dual boot with linux as he was unimpressed with Windows 8.1.
Not like he could not get the hang of it but he certainly is not the target audience for windows 8

Oh my, Ralph, the finger of blame at HP?! I have a 'saying'... "Good ole HP" (& a sigh) :)

(It's very tongue in cheek, of course)

Maybe, it's just the way I use 8.1, that I like so much.

Cheers,
Drew
290_Windows8_1.jpg

This kind of discussion has been rampant for a long time. It was similar with Vista, which was a giant leap, in navigation, from XP.
This little story is apropos absolutely nothing, purely for interest ( and amusement). I must say, first of all, that my whole family, down to my youngest grandchild, are familiar with computers. Three of my children are actually in the IT business, at an expert level.
Going back to the thread!

After the initial preview of Windows 8, I was tempted to try something. I picked out a granddaughter, aged 10, who has been using Windows 7,and showed little interest in progressing beyond that.
On a clean laptop I installed windows 8 - no customisation, and accepted all the defaults. I sat my granddaughter in front of the laptop and asked her opinion, and where to go from there.
I swear this is the truth. She looked at that alien screen for about 0ne minute. She then asked if she could press the icon which said "DESKTOP".
After that she was at home. I asked her if she could install one of her games. This was a cinch, of course. I did point out the "Charms Bar", which she flipped through, but, under my orders, did not adjust anything. She did, however, click into "Settings and then wanted to see if that glaring item "Help" was of use. It was.
I realise that this is a patently simple example of how newcomers will react to a first look at Windows 8. But, the real point I am trying to illustrate is the many earlier posts from users who were just totally confused when faced with that first array of Icons.

You older guys. Think back. Didn't we all have learning experiences when we first saw windows -be it Windows 95 or earlier.
I have just a little sympathy for computer illiterate people but, on the other hand, surely it is a little simpler for them just to click clearly labelled icons, than fumble through a text menu with names that mean little to them.

Last edited:
does itKudos David.

Nor is it peculiar to computers, though some imply it. We go through 'learning curves' several times w/ lots of things, always have, always will... you especially notice this when you're around for a few decades. For some reason the 'learning curve' when computers is oft exaggerated or folks balk @ it, though I'm never sure why or why it's necessary... certainly not helpful nor does it change anything.

A wise man once said, "One is never too old to learn"... don't take it literally, it's just meaning, one can always learn... goes better, best if open to that ie, being willing. Realise it or not, we do it all the time, picking up on something new.

But, no worries, the pace of change is only going to increase :)

Cheers,
Drew
290_Windows8_1.jpg

Oh my, Ralph, the finger of blame at HP?! I have a 'saying'... "Good ole HP" (& a sigh) :)

(It's very tongue in cheek, of course)
Actually HP does deserve some blame on my end, my fathers laptop came with a rather useless 13 page booklet that only features text instructions on 8.1 (no screenshots to aid as a visual media) it also came with another rather useless instruction on the use of the touchpad.
My fathers laptop did not come with a touchscreen but instead came with a touchpad, and while the touchpad does a fairly good job at navigating windows 8.1 the lack of a proper touch surface is another issue and anything with a touchscreen is too expensive.
Plus my father really rather would use a mouse.
However the real kicker came with the tutorial the laptop had installed, as it actually did give screenshot tutorials on how to use windows 8.
HP practically split the instruction manual into three parts that when combined create Captain Planet... I mean make one whole manual.
Yeah HP should have just stuck with a tutorial on the machine itself, which they partially did but not enough to aid my father who is coming from windows XP to Windows 8.

Its this kind of gap of transition is where windows 8's reputation is far worse then it needs to be.
Not saying all companies do this, but those that do tisk tisk.

This kind of discussion has been rampant for a long time. It was similar with Vista, which was a giant leap, in navigation, from XP.
This little story is apropos absolutely nothing, purely for interest ( and amusement). I must say, first of all, that my whole family, down to my youngest grandchild, are familiar with computers. Three of my children are actually in the IT business, at an expert level.
Going back to the thread!

After the initial preview of Windows 8, I was tempted to try something. I picked out a granddaughter, aged 10, who has been using Windows 7,and showed little interest in progressing beyond that.
On a clean laptop I installed windows 8 - no customisation, and accepted all the defaults. I sat my granddaughter in front of the laptop and asked her opinion, and where to go from there.
I swear this is the truth. She looked at that alien screen for about 0ne minute. She then asked if she could press the icon which said "DESKTOP".
After that she was at home. I asked her if she could install one of her games. This was a cinch, of course. I did point out the "Charms Bar", which she flipped through, but, under my orders, did not adjust anything. She did, however, click into "Settings and then wanted to see if that glaring item "Help" was of use. It was.
I realise that this is a patently simple example of how newcomers will react to a first look at Windows 8. But, the real point I am trying to illustrate is the many earlier posts from users who were just totally confused when faced with that first array of Icons.

You older guys. Think back. Didn't we all have learning experiences when we first saw windows -be it Windows 95 or earlier.
I have just a little sympathy for computer illiterate people but, on the other hand, surely it is a little simpler for them just to click clearly labelled icons, than fumble through a text menu with names that mean little to them.

I too feel sympathy for the computer illiterate, my father is certainly one of those folks who needs a helping hand.
I mean my father is fine once he gets used to something and yes he says he could use windows 8 it just doesnt appeal to him due to the gap between metro apps and desktop apps.
I did tell him I could fix that but its clear he is not a fan of this direction

Ralph,

My point was/is it wouldn't be the 1st time one could have a (good) reason to frown @ HP.

I, also, concur about how the (new) unfamiliarity of Win8.1 can initially strike someone. However, one CAN go to fairly familiar ground. I recently read a story about an 11 year old girl, familiar w/ Windows 7. She sat down in front of Windows 8.1 that was not set to boot to Desktop, ergo, it came up to the Start screen. W/out anything said to her, she looked @ the Tiles for 2 or 3 seconds & lo & behold, clicked on the one labelled Desktop. When, one adds to this use of the Desktop Toolbar & the ability to have (ALL) Applications on the Taskbar, thereby not needing to change screens for anything... the gap & concern in regard to 'Metro' shrinks. Taking this approach w/ people, I have found it makes the appeal of Windows 8.1 to people tends to be quite quick & strong.

Cheers,
Drew
290_Windows8_1.jpg

thing is that a younger audience is a little more adaptive then an older one, when you are younger adaptation is a little more easy.
A 11 year old who used windows 7 is not the same as a 50 year old who used XP.
Two different mindsets there

I'm not being a smart-a**, sloughing anything off or deeming anything right or wrong. Nothing more than sometimes, willingness, not being bias or swayed by hype, having a couple of tips, there is less to using it than people are lead to believe... the cool thing being, in this case, less is more. Less in terms of the number basic things to be ok w/ Win8.1
Not more than 1/2 a dozen 'there-done' things and a person can be on their way. That being the only point, it's not what some paint it to be sometimes.

This takes nothing away from that other variables would have an impact on a transition, absolutely.

I mean no offence when I (idealistically) reckon being keen, interested is a good approach. One can go exploring, click something, Right Click places, look @ HELP or not. Sometimes (not thinking of anyone specifically, just in general) some are curious and others flustered and frustrated. I have just come to feel, more than we realise, people are set up for failure, so to speak. Maybe that's one reason I tend to say positive things. When you sit down to something thinking it's weird & scary.... IT IS. When no preconceived wall, one adapts more quickly & enjoyably. Adapting, graciously accepted as a given, is very helpful including, knowing that because something is changed doesn't inherently make it bad, just changed. Things do & will change, balk or not, fuss or not, frown or smile, cannot change it; the one thing that can't be changed is change itself. And Windows 8.1, in truth, its basics are few, easy, simple and rather cool. I have just long felt it good to, ALSO, have that side of the coin presented to folks new to Windows 8.1... and some not so new to it, as well, well sure :)

The 2 can be combined to have the caveat... Value of open-mindedness (read, no bias), driven by curiosity to look or try, having the Rt Clk instinct from using ANY prior OS... this, alone, transcends age or last used OS.

BTW, nor am I expressing a callous, shuddup & live w/ it, trip, @ all. The intent is to express a somewhat positive message for positive reasons based on not seeing heaps of value in negativity.

Cheers,
Drew
290_Windows8_1.jpg

Last edited:
I have been around computers since the days you fed your information to it with punch cards. For having one in the house I started with the old 386 DOS, from there went to Windows 95 which was my first experience with the internet.. Have had Windows 98, ME, XP, Vista, Windows 7 and now Windows 8 upgraded to Windows 8.1. I have had no trouble adapting to each one. I don't think that I would qualify as the younger Generation since I am 67 years old. For me Windows 8 is much better than the previous Windows OS.

Right on, Sonny, exactly; all said, nutshell version.. And many are the same. I can, certainly, relate being 61 and having gone through, @ least 98 to Win8.1, share & support your words 100%.

Cheers,
Drew
290_Windows8_1.jpg

I have been around computers since the days you fed your information to it with punch cards. For having one in the house I started with the old 386 DOS, from there went to Windows 95 which was my first experience with the internet.. Have had Windows 98, ME, XP, Vista, Windows 7 and now Windows 8 upgraded to Windows 8.1. I have had no trouble adapting to each one. I don't think that I would qualify as the younger Generation since I am 67 years old. For me Windows 8 is much better than the previous Windows OS.

Well you used a computer for a long time, but some people are just more adept then others.
I myself taught myself linux after spending about 3 years under XP, and I adapted to windows 7 quite easily.
I adapted to Windows 8 and 8.1 too but prefer to use 7 as I am far more productive on it though I am the most productive on Linux.
My father took about 3 years to learn XP, and will probably take a few months to learn Windows 8 (on average he now takes a month to a week to get used to the conventions of the OS, on linux he seems to be fine actually as he has me but he is not comfortable with 8.1 and in general he dislikes it. Again not like cant use it but he feels the whole metro experience is too much of a distraction as do I)

I don't think much time is "Metro" for it to be any issue w/ or for me. If "Metro" means the Start screen... don't think I ever need visit that.. If "Metro" means Store APPs... no problem using any or some, sometimes... but, never have to leave Desktop for them or any other applications, items or tasks. If "Metro" means things pop out of Corners or Edges... oh well, oh dear

Cheers,
Drew
290_Windows8_1.jpg

I don't think much time is "Metro" for it to be any issue w/ or for me. If "Metro" means the Start screen... don't think I ever need visit that.. If "Metro" means Store APPs... no problem using any or some, sometimes... but, never have to leave Desktop for them or any other applications, items or tasks. If "Metro" means things pop out of Corners or Edges... oh well, oh dear

Cheers,
Drew
View attachment 26682

It all goes down to personal preference and how one chooses to use their machine, people like you are probably are the few who like windows 8 but you represent a small handful of the general consensus in the windows community.
Yes I myself am using an OS that only a handful of people use in the grand scheme of things (linux is about 1% market share on the desktop) but even from a non windows user perspective its clear to see the issues facing some people, heck I could be a Mac user and I would probably be saying the same thing from a usability standpoint.
And when you have someone like my father who finds linux of all things yes linux to be the better then you know you have done something horribly wrong.
Me I can say all day how much I think linux is better then windows as I am tech savvy enough to point out where I think linux is better then windows, but on the same token I can make a strong argument against linux citing its flaws and drawbacks.
And honestly are you people who use windows 8 willing to do that?
Here for fairness sake I will list all the flaws in linux and you can list all the flaws in windows 8 and lets not pretend that what we suggest is perfect for everyone:

Linux doesnt have as much software support compared to Windows or OSX
Linux needs a little more technical knowhow then windows or OSX
Linux doesnt have as much hardware support as Windows or OSX (though this is a factor that linux is getting better at and often its right behind Mac OSX in this area)
Linux is not that good at gaming (yet)

There four things that linux is not good at, Quid pro quo Clarice.

But my father is not like me, he is from the audience that XP was targeted at.... the non computer savvy.
And yet showing him Ubuntu 13.10 then comparing that to Windows 8.1 he prefers the former over the latter?
Yes this is where I think the biggest hole is in the mindset of the developers of W8.
My father only does a handful things on his computer, he watches youtube, he browses facebook, he plays online games, he goes on AOL to read the news and read his email (my father is an old schooler here, took me forever to get him used to firefox as opposed to using AOL's old browser circa 2002)
And for him you know what linux is just fine for his kind of audience as he doesnt have to worry about office compatibility, nor does he play the more heavy non web games nor does he care how the UI is as long as he can go from point A to point B and is shown how.
However Windows 8.1's conventions simply did not appeal to him, not because he is not as tech savvy as I but I think he likes consistency across the board and surprisingly enough linux fits that bill for him as everything has a menu of some type, some scroll bar of some type and some way to close the window.
Now windows 8 does have those things but they are simply not obvious enough without some sort of guide.
And when something like Ubuntu which has an interface called Unity that purposely hides menus and close buttons until you mouse over them seems more intuitive to him then there is definitely something going on.

It all goes down to personal preference and how one chooses to use their machine, people like you are probably are the few who like windows 8 but you represent a small handful of the general consensus in the windows community.

How do you get that only a handful of the general consensus likes windows 8. In my apartment complex where I live it is close to 45% of my neighbors are running windows 8. The rest that I have talked to are still running windows xp or vista. Their computers are old and don't have a processor that can handle windows 8 or they don't own a computer at all. That is just in my complex. I know others who also run windows 8 and have had a few bring their computers to me to upgrade to windows 8. As far as I know they are happy with it. I told them if not to bring it back and I would reinstall their original system. Not one has come back to downgrade.

How do you get that only a handful of the general consensus likes windows 8. In my apartment complex where I live it is close to 45% of my neighbors are running windows 8. The rest that I have talked to are still running windows xp or vista. Their computers are old and don't have a processor that can handle windows 8 or they don't own a computer at all. That is just in my complex. I know others who also run windows 8 and have had a few bring their computers to me to upgrade to windows 8. As far as I know they are happy with it. I told them if not to bring it back and I would reinstall their original system. Not one has come back to downgrade.

My data comes from various videos on the matter, various websites (linux forums included) and web data and while not any of them are 100% reliable its enough for a common thread.

But lets just say my numbers are wrong and your numbers are right, that still leaves 55% of people who are not using windows 8 for one reason or another.
Are they rushing out buying new machines?
Can they?
And how willing are they to try windows 8?

Those are the stats that I am interested in.

Back
Top Bottom